Sign in to follow this  
pachito

adware ad block

Question

I use Mozilla Firefox and add-on adware ad block in order to stop malicious tips and similar. After the installation I noticed a pc slow down and every time I scan pc with AVAST and MALWAREBYTES the hijacker " TROTUX" was detected. I put files in quarantine or delete but the hijacker was always found by antivirus system. After various searching on line I read that ADAWARE AD BLOCK contains " TROTUX" and infected my pc. I deleted Lavasoft adaware, restart my pc and infection TROTUX disappeared.

What does it means? Why lavasoft software contains this kind of infection? Please, let me understand why TROTUX disappeared when I deleted ADAWARE BLOCK.

PS, sorry for my english but I am italian and is not my first language.

3 answers to this question

I use Mozilla Firefox and add-on adware ad block in order to stop malicious tips and similar. After the installation I noticed a pc slow down and every time I scan pc with AVAST and MALWAREBYTES the hijacker " TROTUX" was detected. I put files in quarantine or delete but the hijacker was always found by antivirus system. After various searching on line I read that ADAWARE AD BLOCK contains " TROTUX" and infected my pc. I deleted Lavasoft adaware, restart my pc and infection TROTUX disappeared.

What does it means? Why lavasoft software contains this kind of infection? Please, let me understand why TROTUX disappeared when I deleted ADAWARE BLOCK.

It's a false positive by Malwarebytes. The product reports PUP.Optional.Trotux and note that PUP means Potentially Unwanted Program, and such things aren't malicious or an infection. The file that Malwarebytes thinks contains PUP.Optional.Trotux is the file "prefs.js" that is a part of the configuration of Firefox. The reason is that adaware ad block uses that file to store the address of dangerous sites that shall be blocked and Malwarebytes sees those addresses and doesn't like it.

Adaware software (Lavasoft) will try to contact Malwarebytes and explain what's happening and then Malwarebytes hopefully will change their program.

Hi pachito,

Did you notice that your browsers was hijacked, was start page or search engine changed in an unwanted way?

If not, it should be false positive (false alarms) by Avast and/or Malwarebytes. That has happened before, you can read an example on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ad-aware-ad-block/reviews/ written on January 25.

Do you remember if it was Avast or Malwarebytes that complained?

That would make it easier for adaware software to investigate it.

Hi again,

Adaware software (Lavasoft) thinks it's a false positive and will investigate which product it was, and then report it as false positive to that company.