Sign in to follow this  
kokutouchichi

80hrs for a full scan and rising?

Question

I've searched a few posts on here about long scan times but I've seen nothing that comes close to how long the scan times my adaware version is showing.

I've used adaware before in previous versions and while they did take a long time, 6 - 8hrs for a scan of almost 2TB, this current fullscan time is crazy!

I'm using my laptop so that my PC can continue without any other programs or anything running in the background. But for every minute that goes by in this scan, the estimated time goes up as well. I'm currently at Elapsed time: 34hrs.... my Estimated time left is 65hrs!!!!!!! What the hell adaware!?!?

I run a fairly decent PC with 12gigs of ram on Windows 7.

I haven't run disc defrag in a while, but still... 90+ hrs for a scan? Something is wrong no?

Any help?

12 answers to this question

Hi kokutouchichi,

It's difficult to say anything about the scan time since it depends on several things, processor speed, size of files, number of archived files, hard disk speed etc. If it's longer now, maybe adaware antivirus unpacks all archive files or controls more file types while the settings of the previous version were to not check archive files and not all files, or the hard disk has degraded and read time has increased.

The first scan takes much longer time than the following scans since those only will control new and changed files.

Also, for most of the time that I have checked the scan, it seems to be scanning items in my steamapps folder. I have lots of games installed probably around thirty or so, and it seems to be going from folder to folder file to file and taking quite a long time here. Is there a way to tell the antivirus scan not to check archive files and/or unpack them? I clicked on a rather dubious link the other day, and that's why I decided to run the scan, but... I don't know if I can wait a week for this scan to finish.

I see, you can exclude folders that you don't want that adaware antivirus shall scan: https://www.adaware.com/user-guide/manage_exclusions
But I don't know if a change there now would change the behaviour of the on-going scan.

Please check that Performance Settings is set to High: https://www.adaware.com/user-guide/performance_settings

If you do a Custom Scan, you can turn off Deep scan to decrease scan time: https://www.adaware.com/user-guide/running_scans

Is the only way to set performance to high is to stop this current scan and restart it all again?

I'm so committed already, is it worth it? Could a virus be messing up the way my scan is performing as well?

110.JPG

"High" is the default settings, so it should already be selected.

Anything that runs at the same time as the scan will use the CPU, and then it's less CPU time left for the scan. Please, check process activity in Task Manager.

Anything that uses the hard disk at the same time as the scan causes the scan to wait for its file operations to finish. Please, check hard disk activity in Resource Monitor.

Hello,

for me ok on the Second HDD with 1 TB take about 2 Hours the Full Scan after that i would suggest the Real Time Scanner set to smart. The next Scans will be much faster about 4 Minutes because he will scan Files only if Changed wil not slow really down the Security. Only a suggest.

I have the Pro Version no Problems here.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions, it ended around 86hrs all of a sudden. 

The kicker? No virus... a good thing for sure, but still all those hours to turn up nothing! lol 

Oh well, at least I am safe, and I'll take your suggestions for the next time I run it.

You're welcome and I'm glad that nothing was found and the scan at least didn't take more time, but I agree that it was very long time.

Next time it should go a lot faster if not all your Steam files have been changed.

Maybe also set Definition File Settings to NOT update every hour but choose a longer time.

I run scans from an unattended batch and include the following before a scan with auto-update defs OFF

CALL "C:\Users\Eric\Documents\Batch Files\_AdAware_Version.bat" Y    < batch to extract current AA version
SET "_ACF=C:\Program Files\adaware\adaware antivirus\adaware antivirus\%AdAwareVer%"  < ACF is AA file folder
SET _Linex=%Time: =0%  Ad-Aware Update Definitions  < just used for onscreen log
START "" /WAIT "%_ACF%\AdAwareCommandLine.exe" --updatedefs

ECHO %_Linex% %Time: =0%   < on screen log

• Like 1

Sorry but I forgot to show command to start scan:

START "" "%_ACF%\AdAwareCommandLine.exe" --full

Another item which may slow scans is submitting files to the Threat Alliance which can be turned OFF under App Management.