• Announcements

• LS.Andy

Support for other products than adaware, ad block, web protection and Web Companion   05/05/2017

Support for the following products is handled by the Lavasoft support team: Lavasoft Tuneup Kit Lavasoft PC Optimizer Lavasoft Driver Updater Lavasoft Registry Tuner Lavasoft Privacy Toolbox Lavasoft File Shredder Lavasoft Digital Lock

For help with these products, contact the support team here: http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/

secondnature

Dual Anti-Virus Programs Okay?

Question

I currently have Kaspersky Total Secuirty installed and have used it for many months.  A few days ago, I began having a malicious virus show up through my Landscape Design Program (Dynascape Design) whilst I was uploading some photos/uploading from PC photo files.  Has not happened before.  Of the three times it has happened, the first two I have been able to successfully resolve easily through KAsp by going to quarantine and then restoring.  The third time was a doozy; was not that easy.  Could not find my design program (dscape.exe) anywhere.  I found AdAware and installed it and it has found and quarratined the 4 files that were giving me grief.  I just conducted another full scan on Adaware and it is clean.

I understand that I can have AdAware running in conjunction with Kasp...is this true?  Of course, Kaspersky is sugesting that I remove  AdAware completely before upgrading to their newest version (2018) as Kasp might recognize AdAware as a threat.  Is this true?  I am wondering why I have a paid subscription with Kaspersky and I am having to manually upgrade to a "better version"....seems like the upgrades should be happening all along for a subscribed customer???  Thanks I just want to NOT have this happen again!

3 answers to this question

Hi secondnature,

If you can have adaware antivirus program and Kaspersky's antivirus program at the same time depends on if you installed adaware as a second line of defense without real-time protection (compatible mode), see the manual https://www.adaware.com/user-guide/compatible-install. In compatible mode adaware won't be running the whole time, but you can scan the computer with adaware. It's best to disable Kaspersky's antivirus while doing the scan since when adaware opens a file, Kaspersky's will be notified and also scan that file, which will prolong the scan time. It's also possible that Kaspersky's will believe that some temporary files created during the scan are malicious (they aren't that of course). I don't think that Kaspersky's antivirus will recognize adaware antivirus as a threat.

I recommend that adaware is uninstalled before another antivirus program is installed (or doing a big upgrade) and installed again in compatible mode afterwards to minimize the risk of driver conflicts.

Sorry, I don't know why Kaspersky requires that you do a manual upgrade, maybe there are too many large differences that it isn't possible to do an automatic upgrade.

Did that answer your questions?

1 person likes this

Cecilia, thank you so much!  

In talking with others in  dealing with my current issues with a Trojan virus, I have gotten some unfavorable feedback regarding Kaspersky, that it is not the best product for Antivirus.  This makes me a little uncertain of its capabilities in holding back the bad guys.  I am wondering if my system has somehow become compromised previously by there being some viruses that were not controlled in the past through Kaspersky, therefore my system is weak.  With my system being vulnerable, I wonder if this latest Trojan had an easier time filtering in.

I would actually feel better having AdAware on  board as well; it was able to find the 4 infected files during a scan and Kaspersky was not.

The software that it has shown up in (my design software) is my livelihood, and it is not a good thing to lose my ability to use it; when it disappears, it is a little unnerving!

I will go ahead and uninstall AdAware and then upgrade my existing Kaspersky.  I will then perform a Kaspersky scan, and then will incorporate AdAware back in as you suggested.

Thank you for your assistance!

Karla

1 person likes this

Karla, you're welcome :)

Kaspersky's antivirus program usually gets good results in tests of antivirus programs.

If you're worried that you still have malicious files in the computer, I suggest that you reinstall Windows and afterwards install all programs again.

2 hours ago, secondnature said:

I will go ahead and uninstall AdAware and then upgrade my existing Kaspersky.  I will then perform a Kaspersky scan, and then will incorporate AdAware back in as you suggested.

That's a good plan :)