Sign in to follow this  
Brian Cousin

Adaware cannot update

Question

@Brian Cousin @E_Chester @PEllis @Rose-Dew @Shikata_Ga_Nai @emollison @chrono @Mick-H @Alex Ghar @HTL @TrevTurtle

Hi everyone,

The update problem is now solved and adaware antivirus will update automatically according to its time schedule. If you don't want to wait, you can update manually.

51 minutes ago, Brian Cousin said:

My automatic update of Adaware has not functioned for three days. Why is this? I thought my subscription was automatically renewed and I have received no notifications.

Hi Brian,

Even the free version of adaware antivirus gets automatic updates.

Does your personal adaware page report any problems?
https://www.adaware.com/myadaware/loginpage

Since you've paid for adaware, you can contact the support team from the menu in adaware antivirus. I've also tried to ask my contact person at adaware software, but due to the holidays I don't know when I'll get a reply.

Hi again,

There were som problems with the servers during Christmas night and it seems that not everything is back. Adaware software will check all functions again. Thank you for reporting.

I've been having the same problem with AdAware Pro for 3 days going (paid subscription). I contacted tech services a day ago and haven't even received an autoreply.

When I tried to send a problem report through the AdAware "pop-up" (with and without my log files), it wouldn't go through.

Something is obviously wrong with your server.

Please FIX THIS PROBLEM IMMEDIATELY. This is unacceptable.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, E_Chester said:

I've been having the same problem with AdAware Pro for 3 days going (paid subscription). I contacted tech services a day ago and haven't even received an autoreply.

When I tried to send a problem report through the AdAware "pop-up" (with and without my log files), it wouldn't go through.

Something is obviously wrong with your server.

Please FIX THIS PROBLEM IMMEDIATELY. This is unacceptable.

Thank you.

Hi E_Chester,

The problem seems to be more difficult to solve than expected, but adaware software is working as hard as they can.

2 hours ago, CeciliaB said:

Hi E_Chester,

The problem seems to be more difficult to solve than expected, but adaware software is working as hard as they can.

Hi Cecilia, Thanks for your reply. It has now stretched into 4 days. Fingers crossed that the problem is fixed soon! 

This is getting ridiculous ... it's going on 6 days with no definition updates or resolution.

How about uploading the most current definitions file to this thread for users to access so we can update our systems?

Sounds like a GREAT idea to me. I know this was done previously when Lavasoft/Adaware had a similar ongoing problem.

E_Chester, I'm sorry but I can't get in touch with my contact person at adaware software during the weekend and New Year's Day.

10 hours ago, CeciliaB said:

E_Chester, I'm sorry but I can't get in touch with my contact person at adaware software during the weekend and New Year's Day.

Hi Cecilia, I appreciate your reply, but your not being able to get in touch with tech support (or whoever is working on this) is unacceptable. If that is the case, Lavasoft's policy needs to change big time, and immediately. Many of us, including myself, work straight through the holidays (and rely on our security to be up-to-date). Lots of places shift people in such cases. Security should be a TOP priority, 24/7, and I'm hearing that is isn't for your company. So, it sounds like at least 3 more days without adequate protection? That'll push this problem and deficiency into week 2. Wow. EC  p.s. And I never did get a reply to my direct email from days ago, not even an autoreply.

Edited by E_Chester

28 minutes ago, E_Chester said:

Hi Cecilia, I appreciate your reply, but your not being able to get in touch with tech support (or whoever is working on this) is unacceptable. If that is the case, Lavasoft's policy needs to change big time, and immediately. Many of us, including myself, work straight through the holidays (and rely on our security to be up-to-date). Lots of places shift people in such cases. Security should be a TOP priority, 24/7, and I'm hearing that is isn't for your company. So, it sounds like at least 3 more days without adequate protection? That'll push this problem and deficiency into week 2. Wow. EC  p.s. And I never did get a reply to my direct email from days ago, not even an autoreply.

Hi E_Chester,

I'm a volunteer here and I only have a limited number of persons at adaware software that I can contact, the administrator of this forum for problems with the forum and the persons responsible for the free products handled in the forum for problems with those products. Those four persons work normal office hours, but of course there are other persons in support and IT teams that work outside normal office hours.

Have you checked your spam/junk/bulk folders?
It's also possible to contact adaware software through their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pg/officialadaware/posts/?ref=page_internal  and email [email protected]  but I don't know if those are taken care of during holidays.

When the update servers are completely down, there are usually a lot of persons complaining in the forum and on the Facebook page, but that isn't happening now so I guess most users can update.

10 minutes ago, CeciliaB said:

Hi E_Chester,

I'm a volunteer here and I only have a limited number of persons at adaware software that I can contact, the administrator of this forum for problems with the forum and the persons responsible for the free products handled in the forum for problems with those products. Those four persons work normal office hours, but of course there are other persons in support and IT teams that work outside normal office hours.

Have you checked your spam/junk/bulk folders?
It's also possible to contact adaware software through their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pg/officialadaware/posts/?ref=page_internal  and email [email protected]  but I don't know if those are taken care of during holidays.

When the update servers are completely down, there are usually a lot of persons complaining in the forum and on the Facebook page, but that isn't happening now so I guess most users can update.

Thanks for your reply. As it is the holidays, maybe not as many people as usual are paying attention to whether they're getting updates, but I'm seeing more posts about problems with the system not updating. (In other threads, too.) As I mentioned, I did email tech and general support days ago, and then re-sent the emails when I didn't hear back from either (not even an autoreply). Nothing in my spam/junk/trash folders. I don't do Facebook, so that's not an option.

I'm sorry you're on the receiving end of the posts on the forums. I know you're doing what you can.

I am trying to be patient, but ... there definitely is something going on, and it doesn't seem to be a priority for the tech folks, from where I sit.

*sigh*

Edited by E_Chester

3 minutes ago, E_Chester said:

Thanks for your reply. As it is the holidays, maybe not as many people as usual are paying attention to whether they're getting updates, but I'm seeing more posts about problems with the system not updating. (In other threads, too.) As I mentioned, I did email tech and general support days ago, and then re-sent the emails when I didn't hear back from either (not even an autoreply). Nothing in my spam/junk/trash folders. I don't do Facebook, so that's not an option.

I'm sorry you're on the receiving end of the posts on the forums. I know you're doing what you can.

I am trying to be patient, but ... there definitely is something going on, and it doesn't seem to be a priority for the tech folks, from where I sit.

*sigh*

You're welcome :)

There are several users with update problems in the forum, but it isn't more than 10 new users complaining during a single day, which has happened before.

Ehh, amount of complaints > content?
I'm the type of person to patiently wait for things to get resolved, after they have already been posted about.
Trusting it will be taken seriously.
But now I feel like a fool.
So I created a forum account & promise to actively start leaving posts.
And send messages to technical support.

Starting with:
- no updates for 7 days
- automated scans not been initiating for 7 days

I'm a Pro 12 user.

This needs attention, please.

Edited by Rose-Dew

Happy new year everyone!

AdAware is *still* not updating, and I see several more people have posted that they are having the same problem. (As noted earlier, there may have been a delay in these reports because of the holiday.)

No response to my emails to general support. I went back to see how I tried to fix this problem before. I tried repairing first, that didn't work. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled, cleared my cache, and rebooted twice. Not a fix. I'm now getting messages that my computer is at risk because of how outdated the definitions are.

So, it does seem that, a week-plus out, the problem is on AdAware's side.

Cecilia, please keep letting the tech people know that this is an *urgent* problem affecting a growing number of users.

**Solution in the short term: I think it's time to upload the current definitions file and let us update that way. This was done before, so it's not anything new.

It was a shame when you dropped the option to manually download the daily definitions files and update that way. Bad move.

Thank you.

Paid user here. This outage for 7 days now is not acceptable. If this problem isn't solved by the end of this week, i'm going to be an ex-paid user, as in uninstall your program and BUY a reliable antivirus program. This is no way to treat your clients, let alone run a business.

Hi @PEllis @Shikata_Ga_Nai

5 hours ago, Rose-Dew said:

This needs attention, please.

The problem has got attention since Christmas Day.

2 hours ago, E_Chester said:

Cecilia, please keep letting the tech people know that this is an *urgent* problem affecting a growing number of users.

**Solution in the short term: I think it's time to upload the current definitions file and let us update that way. This was done before, so it's not anything new.

I've already sent messages so they've the information as soon as they start to work, and also forwarded the suggestion of a definition file to install manually.

Happy New Year everyone!

My mom insisted I comment to make sure this is getting attention. Two computers haven't updated for 8 days so it clearly is a server side issue. Fix it so my mom stops freaking out. She's annoying. Thank you.

2 hours ago, Mick-H said:

Thanks Cecilia, all working fine now.

I'm glad to hear that.

On 2-1-2018 at 3:48 AM, emollison said:

My mom insisted I comment to make sure this is getting attention. Two computers haven't updated for 8 days so it clearly is a server side issue. Fix it so my mom stops freaking out. She's annoying. Thank you.

Haha, I had the same problem. My mom was calling me over it too.

4 hours ago, CeciliaB said:

I'm glad to hear that.

Happy it all works again!
I still hope that, like E_Chester suggested earlier, in future maybe a manual download of files through the forum could be made available in events like these.
Not sure if this is a suggestion to put in this thread, but there it is.

14 minutes ago, Rose-Dew said:

I still hope that, like E_Chester suggested earlier, in future maybe a manual download of files through the forum could be made available in events like these.

It would be better to have suggestions for future versions in its own topic and therefore I just started one here: https://forum.adaware.com/index.php?/topic/35021-suggestions-ideas-what-features-would-you-like-to-see/

I got a BIG update yesterday. However, it's not updating when I tell it to check for updates. Are definition updates like once a day or something? Or are we gonna have to go through days of no updates only to get a big update when enough people complain?

5 hours ago, Rose-Dew said:

Haha, I had the same problem. My mom was calling me over it too.

Happy it all works again!

Thanks Rose-Dew. I followed Cecilia's suggestion and posted the request to allow for manual download of definitions files under the 'suggestions and ideas' thread. Anyone who likes the idea should consider adding their voice to the thread :-)

5 hours ago, Shikata_Ga_Nai said:

I got a BIG update yesterday. However, it's not updating when I tell it to check for updates. Are definition updates like once a day or something? Or are we gonna have to go through days of no updates only to get a big update when enough people complain?

There was a problem with the server that was fixed approx. when you posted. Have you been able to update after you posted here?