specopsbarton

Adaware is blocking my front panel's USB ports!

Question

Yesterday I realized I have problem with my front panel's USB ports. When I start my computer and plug in anything to them everything works fine, but problem appears when I unplug them and want to plug them again, they just simple not working and in devices manager there is yellow triangle, on which when I click I have description like:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)
The driver could not be loaded because a previous version of the driver is still in memory."

I tried many things I found in internet but they simply didnt work.
Last thing I tried was using old system restore point...and after that problem was fixed! But...

My adaware was not working, it was like it is uninstalled, so I decided to reinstall it.
After installing adaware problem with those usb ports returned...so atleast I found what is causing this problem.
I dont know what to do, so if anyone can please help me.

Hi specopsbarton,

Do the USB ports work if you disable the antivirus program?

Which minor version of adaware antivirus do you have?

Hi Cecilia, USB ports still not working even if adaware is disabled. They worked normally when it was uninstalled.

Version Adaware Free 12.3.909.11573

System Windows 7, 64 bit Home Premium

Edited by specopsbarton

Please, uninstall adaware antivirus and restart the computer to confirm that the USB ports work without the program.

Do you know when the USB ports stopped working, have you used them a short time before the problem occurred?

1 hour ago, specopsbarton said:

After installing adaware problem with those usb ports returned...so atleast I found what is causing this problem.

Are you sure that no Windows updates was installed at the same time?

3 hours ago, CeciliaB said:

Do you know when the USB ports stopped working, have you used them a short time before the problem occurred?

It might be important to know which update of adaware antivirus that has caused the problem.

I don't know when the latest version was released, but if it was released for example two months ago I would like to be able to tell adaware software that your USB ports haven't been working during the last two months.

Do you know when the USB ports worked with adaware antivirus installed?

My contact person at adaware software asks you (and every one else with the same problem) to disable one feature at a time to see if that solves the problem, and they would like to know which feature in that case.

They also ask for log files etc., please see the topic

Features you mean like "Active Protection"? If yes then I already tried disable it and ports still didn't worked.

CeciliaB I sent you pm, please read it.

Edited by specopsbarton

If you've a paid versions, there are several features e.g. network protection.
Thanks for the PM.

I've encountered this same problem.  I spent almost an entire day struggling to fix the Code 38 error, trying countless "fixes" and workarounds to no avail.  Finally I booted my PC in safe mode, put the USB card into a port (didn't matter which one, I've tried all of them to rule it out), unplugged it, plugged it back in and the USB card worked again.  Right now I have Adaware running and that's somehow causing this problem.  This didn't become a problem for me until I installed the current version: 12.3.909.11573 (free).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robotros said:

I've encountered this same problem.  I spent almost an entire day struggling to fix the Code 38 error, trying countless "fixes" and workarounds to no avail.  Finally I booted my PC in safe mode, put the USB card into a port (didn't matter which one, I've tried all of them to rule it out), unplugged it, plugged it back in and the USB card worked again.  Right now I have Adaware running and that's somehow causing this problem.  This didn't become a problem for me until I installed the current version: 12.3.909.11573 (free).

Thanks for the information, @robotros.

@specopsbarton, @RHONDA WILLIAMS, please try what robotros wrote.

Edited by CeciliaB

Unfortunately, the only method that has worked is to disable Adaware.  I turned off the service to prevent it from running on startup, instead of a full uninstall.  If I start Adaware and then disable it, I can't use any USB cards without having to reboot.  So all I know right now is that something activates when Adaware initially starts up that triggers the error.

19 minutes ago, robotros said:

Unfortunately, the only method that has worked is to disable Adaware.  I turned off the service to prevent it from running on startup, instead of a full uninstall.  If I start Adaware and then disable it, I can't use any USB cards without having to reboot.  So all I know right now is that something activates when Adaware initially starts up that triggers the error.

Sorry @robotros, I thought you'd solved the problem when you wrote that the USB card worked again.

Glad to know that I am not alone, so maybe this problem will be fixed faster.

@CeciliaB Any new infomartions from Adaware devs?

Edited by specopsbarton

Why my last post " I wrote few times that I already tried that and I say last time USB DON'T WORK WITH TURNED ACTIVE PROTECTION OFF. ", which was posted later than "Hi @specopsbarton, @robotros. @RHONDA WILLIAMS and everyone else,

Adaware software is working on a solution, but don't know when it will be released. According to their tests it should be enough to disable the real-time protection to be able to use the USB device. Please, inform us if that doesn't help in your computer."

is above your post Cecilia? Probably there is a bug or some problems with forums.

Edited by specopsbarton

1 hour ago, specopsbarton said:

is above your post Cecilia? Probably there is a bug or some problems with forums.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean. If you think that the posts are in the wrong order be sure to set sorting by date.

Skärmklipp.PNG

I also had this problem. But did not associate it with AdAware because it was a few days after I had installed the latest free version from the website. As I stated on the other train on the forum about this problem I worked for 2 days with Microsoft getting it working again.

I noticed in this train that AdAware software said that disabling real time protection was enough to make it work again. I had downloaded the compatability mode of the latest version that was on your web site last week and since compatability mode does not use real time protection therefore disabiling it does not work.  Please STOP allowing people to download this latest version until this problem is resolved.