RHONDA WILLIAMS

MY USB DRIVE NO LONGER WORKS ON MY DESKTOP

Question

SINCE INSTALLING ADWARE I AM UNABLE TO ACCESS MY USB DRIVE.  I TRIED THE USB ON MY ACER LAPTOP AND IT WORKS FINE.  HOWEVER, MY DESKTOP WILL NOT READ MY USB.  I REALLY HATE TO UNINSTALL ADWARE BUT UNLESS I CAN GET INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO USE MY USB DRIVE WITH ADWARE, THAT WILL BE MY NEXT MOVE.  PLEASE ADVISE FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS.  THANKS, 

8 answers to this question

On 2018-04-07 at 9:31 PM, RHONDA WILLIAMS said:

SINCE INSTALLING ADWARE I AM UNABLE TO ACCESS MY USB DRIVE.  I TRIED THE USB ON MY ACER LAPTOP AND IT WORKS FINE.  HOWEVER, MY DESKTOP WILL NOT READ MY USB.  I REALLY HATE TO UNINSTALL ADWARE BUT UNLESS I CAN GET INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO USE MY USB DRIVE WITH ADWARE, THAT WILL BE MY NEXT MOVE.  PLEASE ADVISE FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS.  THANKS, 

Today version 12.3.915.11577 with a fix for the USB problem has been released.

@RHONDA WILLIAMS  @Geoff46

1 hour ago, RHONDA WILLIAMS said:

Hi @RHONDA WILLIAMS,

Another user reported the same thing earlier today: https://forum.adaware.com/index.php?/topic/35089-adaware-is-blocking-my-front-panels-usb-ports/
In that case it's the USB ports on the front panel that don't work, but the ports on the back of the computer can be used. Please try other USB ports.

Since the problem hasn't been reported before, I don't know how to solve it yet but I'll ask my contact person at adaware software on Monday.

12 hours ago, RHONDA WILLIAMS said:

You probably have the same problem I have. My front panel's USB works only once after pc start, then I must restart it to be able to use it again one time.

Edited by specopsbarton

On 2018-04-07 at 9:31 PM, RHONDA WILLIAMS said:

Hi again @RHONDA WILLIAMS,

Please see my reply in this topic:

I also had this problem. At first I did not connect it to Adaware update. Spent two days working with Microsoft 3rd level support and they did not know what was going on. They ran recovery  which removed all applications and reinstalled the drivers then everything worked again.  Why don't you  STOP allowing version 12 to be downloaded until you fix this SERIOUS problem.

53 minutes ago, Geoff46 said:

I also had this problem. At first I did not connect it to Adaware update. Spent two days working with Microsoft 3rd level support and they did not know what was going on. They ran recovery  which removed all applications and reinstalled the drivers then everything worked again.  Why don't you  STOP allowing version 12 to be downloaded until you fix this SERIOUS problem.

Hi Geoff46,

I'm sorry for all your work due to adaware antivirus. I've forwarded your suggestion to my contact person.

Cecilia

Here are some things that might help the software folks figure this usb problem out.

1) The laptop I saw the problem on is a Dell Inspirion 15  Series 3000  running Windows 10 Version 10.0.16299

2) The version of AdAware that is failing is the one that is currently on the website as of April 16 2018. I downloaded the free version in compatability mode so it was not running real-time protection.

3) The problem is that if you install something into a usb port, remove it, then try to reinstall it a secong time you get a message stating that "the driver is already installed in memory and cannot install again" Error code 83

4) You only get the error if the usb ports are completely empty ,you install any usb device, remove it (ports are now all empty) and try to reinstall it.  If you have anything in any usb port full time , for example a usb mouse or keyboard you will never see this problem because the ports are never completely empty.

5) Removing  AdAware fixes the problem.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Geoff46 said:

Cecilia

Here are some things that might help the software folks figure this usb problem out.

Geoff,

Thanks for all the information. I've informed my contact person.

19 hours ago, Geoff46 said:

Why don't you  STOP allowing version 12 to be downloaded until you fix this SERIOUS problem.

The current version contains updates that are required by Microsoft, without them you don't get all security updates of Windows. It's therefore impossible to continue with the previous version since that would leave computers very vulnerable for exploits.