• Announcements

    • LS.Andy

      Support for other products than adaware, ad block, web protection and Web Companion   05/05/2017

      Support for the following products is handled by the Lavasoft support team: Lavasoft Tuneup Kit Lavasoft PC Optimizer Lavasoft Driver Updater Lavasoft Registry Tuner Lavasoft Privacy Toolbox Lavasoft File Shredder Lavasoft Digital Lock

      For help with these products, contact the support team here: http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/
       
  • 0
webcompanionscum

WebCompanion still exists after uninstall - Not TCP problem

Question

I somehow installed, and promptly uninstalled, the Webcompanion app.

The problem I am encountering is that there seem to be web companion files on my machine after the uninstall that I can not locate to delete.  When I turn the tower on the web companion app pops in the task bar and prompts the error in the attached picture.

Please advise on how to fully remove this junkware.

WebCompanionTrash.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
9 hours ago, webcompanionscum said:

I somehow installed, and promptly uninstalled, the Webcompanion app.

The problem I am encountering is that there seem to be web companion files on my machine after the uninstall that I can not locate to delete.  When I turn the tower on the web companion app pops in the task bar and prompts the error in the attached picture.

Please advise on how to fully remove this junkware.

WebCompanionTrash.PNG

Hi @webcompanionscum,

Please follow the instructions in the topic https://forum.adaware.com/index.php?/topic/34376-solution-for-lavasofttcpservice-problem-after-uninstallation/ first.

If that doesn't help, I see two possible ways of solving your problem.

1. Install WebCompanion.
Restart the computer and uninstall it.
Follow the instructions in the link above.

2. Please, download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) and save it on the desktop:
For 64 bits Windows: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST64.exe
For 32 bits Windows: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST.exe

Start the FRST program.

Read the disclaimer and click Yes to accept it.
Click Scan button.
When done, FRST will create two log files, called FRST.txt and Addition.txt, on the desktop.

Please, attach them to your reply. I'll read the log files and be able to see what left-overs of Web Companion that exist and how to remove them.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

@CeciliaB

How do I send a direct message to you to send the addition and frst text files? I am not comfortable attaching system information containing PII in a format that any forum user can open.  I can not reinstall the software because of my original error.

 

On 4/14/2018 at 4:18 AM, CeciliaB said:

Hi @webcompanionscum,

Please follow the instructions in the topic https://forum.adaware.com/index.php?/topic/34376-solution-for-lavasofttcpservice-problem-after-uninstallation/ first.

If that doesn't help, I see two possible ways of solving your problem.

1. Install WebCompanion.
Restart the computer and uninstall it.
Follow the instructions in the link above.

2. Please, download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) and save it on the desktop:
For 64 bits Windows: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST64.exe
For 32 bits Windows: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST.exe

Start the FRST program.

Read the disclaimer and click Yes to accept it.
Click Scan button.
When done, FRST will create two log files, called FRST.txt and Addition.txt, on the desktop.

Please, attach them to your reply. I'll read the log files and be able to see what left-overs of Web Companion that exist and how to remove them.
 

 

 

 

Edited by webcompanionscum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The log files shouldn't contain any information that can be used to find you as a real physical person.  If your name is in them, you can change it to "X".

But you can send me a private message, e.g. by holding the mouse over the photo to the left and when the popup is displayed click on Message, or on my profile page https://forum.adaware.com/index.php?/profile/79449-ceciliab click on Message. I'm not sure that you can attach files to a PM (and they are too large to insert into a PM) and then you've to upload the files to a file sharing site, e.g. Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, and link to them in the PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
9 hours ago, CeciliaB said:

The log files shouldn't contain any information that can be used to find you as a real physical person.  If your name is in them, you can change it to "X".

But you can send me a private message, e.g. by holding the mouse over the photo to the left and when the popup is displayed click on Message, or on my profile page https://forum.adaware.com/index.php?/profile/79449-ceciliab click on Message. I'm not sure that you can attach files to a PM (and they are too large to insert into a PM) and then you've to upload the files to a file sharing site, e.g. Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, and link to them in the PM.

I have sent you a private message.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

You wrote that you had uninstalled Web Companion but it seems to be visible in Control Panel's list of installed programs. Please try to uninstall it again, but first exit all programs and disable Bitdefender.

If that doesn't help, please continue:

Please move the FRST program from the Downloads folder to the Desktop.

Please, start Notepad.
Copy all text that is in the box:

CreateRestorePoint:
CloseProcesses:
HKU\S-1-5-21-3759274975-2006793295-3414927457-1001\...\Run: [Web Companion] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Lavasoft\Web Companion\Application\WebCompanion.exe [7722600 2018-04-16] (Lavasoft)
FF SearchPlugin: C:\Users\X\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ixagxs9b.default\searchplugins\bing-lavasoft-ff59.xml [2018-03-30]
R2 WCAssistantService; C:\Program Files (x86)\Lavasoft\Web Companion\Application\Lavasoft.WCAssistant.WinService.exe [25704 2018-04-16] ()
2018-04-05 21:05 - 2018-03-05 17:34 - 000000000 ____D C:\Users\X\AppData\Local\Lavasoft
2018-04-05 21:05 - 2018-03-05 17:33 - 000000000 ____D C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft
IE trusted site: HKU\.DEFAULT\...\webcompanion.com -> hxxp://webcompanion.com
IE trusted site: HKU\S-1-5-21-3759274975-2006793295-3414927457-1001\...\webcompanion.com -> hxxp://webcompanion.com
Reboot:

and paste in Notepad.
Replace the 'X' with the original content.
Save the file as fixlist.txt on the desktop.

Exit all programs.

Start FRST, please.
Click the Fix button.
Wait until the tool has finished.

It creates a log file, called Fixlog.txt, on the desktop.
Please, paste the content of that file in your reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 minutes ago, CeciliaB said:

You wrote that you had uninstalled Web Companion but it seems to be visible in Control Panel's list of installed programs. Please try to uninstall it again, but first exit all programs and disable Bitdefender.

If that doesn't help, please continue:

Please move the FRST program from the Downloads folder to the Desktop.

Please, start Notepad.
Copy all text that is in the box:

CreateRestorePoint:
CloseProcesses:
HKU\S-1-5-21-3759274975-2006793295-3414927457-1001\...\Run: [Web Companion] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Lavasoft\Web Companion\Application\WebCompanion.exe [7722600 2018-04-16] (Lavasoft)
FF SearchPlugin: C:\Users\X\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ixagxs9b.default\searchplugins\bing-lavasoft-ff59.xml [2018-03-30]
R2 WCAssistantService; C:\Program Files (x86)\Lavasoft\Web Companion\Application\Lavasoft.WCAssistant.WinService.exe [25704 2018-04-16] ()
2018-04-05 21:05 - 2018-03-05 17:34 - 000000000 ____D C:\Users\X\AppData\Local\Lavasoft
2018-04-05 21:05 - 2018-03-05 17:33 - 000000000 ____D C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft
IE trusted site: HKU\.DEFAULT\...\webcompanion.com -> hxxp://webcompanion.com
IE trusted site: HKU\S-1-5-21-3759274975-2006793295-3414927457-1001\...\webcompanion.com -> hxxp://webcompanion.com
Reboot:

and paste in Notepad.
Replace the 'X' with the original content.
Save the file as fixlist.txt on the desktop.

Exit all programs.

Start FRST, please.
Click the Fix button.
Wait until the tool has finished.

It creates a log file, called Fixlog.txt, on the desktop.
Please, paste the content of that file in your reply.

The web companion software does not show up in my list of programs, so I can't uninstall it that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now