nobodyyz

Unable to download definitions files

Question

Hi, I am running windows 10 and using ad aware anti virus 12. recently i found that the definition files are not updated and it is unable to update as well. I ended up un-installing ad aware and re-installing it. However, after installation and registration, it is still unable to download the definition files.

I get an error prompt saying "Definitions could not be updated. Something prevented the definitions from updating."

Is it my PC is infected? What can i do to resolve this issue? 

19 answers to this question

Hi nobodyyz,

Please follow the instructions in the topic

Thanks for the files but the adaware folder is necessary, please upload it to a file sharing service, e.g. Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive or Google Drive, and link to the file in your reply. If you don't know how to use a file sharing service, please ask.

Thanks for the log files. I've informed my contact person at adaware software.

Hi,

Thanks for the logs, I've forwarded the link to my contact person at adaware software.

Hi again,

Unfortunately the error code in the log file doesn't tell the exact problem, but they suggest this:

1. In Windows Explorer find this folder: c:\Program Files\adaware\adaware antivirus\Antimalware Engine
  2. Rename its sub-folder definitions to something else, e.g. definitions.old.
  3. Turn off the firewall of the computer.
  4. Try to update adaware antivirus.
  5. Turn on the firewall

What's the result?

Hi,

I'll ask my contact person for more suggestions on Monday.

You're welcome :)

My contact person will ask the developers for more suggestions.

Hi again,

Do you connect to internet through a proxy server or VPN server?
Please check here:

Settings - Network and Internet
VPN and Proxy in left column

If you don't know how to interpret the information, please take screen shots and attach to your reply.

Nope, no proxy, no VPN. My PC connects to the router via LAN, and through the router out.
The update of definitions was working previously. 

Do you know anything that changed in the computer around the time when adaware antivirus no longer could update def.?

Are you using the latest version (12.3.915) of adaware software?
If not, please install it.

My contact person says that it's necessary to do a remote connection to your computer to investigate the problem, but it's only the customer support team that is allowed to do that. When there are serious problems and it isn't possible to solve the problem here in the forum, that team can take care of users with free adaware antivirus too. Please, link to this topic in your email/message.

Email address: [email protected]
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/officialadaware/

You need to check the spam and/or junk folders in the web mail, since sometimes the reply is considered as spam by your email provider. 

If you haven't received a reply within 48 hours, send me a PM with your email address. I'll then inform my contact person (not in the support team), who will contact the support team and ask why no reply has been sent to you.

If your problem is solved, please post the solution here since it might help someone else.

Edited by CeciliaB