Joe Rathinam

ad-aware web companion popup in startup of windows 7

Question

When I start my system I got this notification stating ‘Another instance is running’  ‘object reference not set to an instance of an object.’  I removed Lavasoft.

Now I get this popup while starting the system: Another instance is running.   The type initializer for 'WebCompanion.UI.AppCore.Service.InstallerService' threw an exception.  Please do the needful to correct this.

I tried to remove it but could not find ‘Web Companion’ in add remove program in my Windows 7.

Edited by Joe Rathinam
incertion of Tags

11 answers to this question

I found the file in C:\Program Files\Lavasoft but it is not found in Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features.  I the exe file should be deleted from program files as it is hidden in control panel.

Control Panel - Programs - Uninstall or change a program 'Web Companion' found missing.JPG

Web Companion Properties in Joe-PC.JPG

Edited by Joe Rathinam

Hi Joe,

You shouldn't delete files of any programs while it's possible that there are information in the registry about the programs, e.g. information about automatic start.

Let us see what's going on in your computer and how to remove Web Companion.

Please, download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) and save it on the desktop:
For 64 bits Windows: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST64.exe
For 32 bits Windows: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST.exe

Double click FRST file to run the tool.
Read the disclaimer and click Yes to accept it.
Click Scan button.

When done, FRST will create two (2) logs on the desktop:

• FRST.txt
  • Addition.txt

Please, attach them to your reply.

Unfortunately the exe file C:\Program Files\Lavasoft was deleted by my system admin.  Now the popup "Another instance is running.   The type initializer for 'WebCompanion.UI.AppCore.Service.InstallerService' threw an exception." doesn't come while startup my system.

Do you notice Web Companion anywhere or are you satisfied with the actions of your system admin?

Hi Joe,

There seems to something of Web Companion in the computer. Please follow the instruction with FRST.

Hi Joe,

Sorry, I thought the problem had appeared again.

On 5/31/2018 at 6:28 AM, Joe Rathinam said:

When I start my system I got this notification stating ‘Another instance is running’  ‘object reference not set to an instance of an object.’

Now I get this popup while starting the system: Another instance is running.   The type initializer for 'WebCompanion.UI.AppCore.Service.InstallerService' threw an exception.  Please do the needful to correct this.

I tried to remove it but could not find ‘Web Companion’ in add remove program in my Windows 7.

Hi, I am also facing same problem, as you said i tried to search and delete from program files but unfortunately i didnt find. 

1 hour ago, Prashanth said:

Hi, I am also facing same problem, as you said i tried to search and delete from program files but unfortunately i didnt find. 

Hi Prashanth,

Have you gone through the add-ons and settings of your browser?