ooze

"webcompanion.ui.appcore.services.installerservice" threw an exception after uninstalling (Win 7)

Question

Hi, web companion got installed so I uninstalled it via the Control Panel. During the uninstall process, something popped up (don't remember exactly what it was).

After every restart on my laptop, a pop-up appears:

"webcompanion.ui.appcore.services.installerservice" threw an exception

I've attached the FRST.txt and Addition.txt (deleted)

Please help me remove this cleanly.

Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solved the problem by doing this:

Option #3

1. Restart Windows to unlock LavasoftTcpService64.dll (LavasoftTcpService.dll).

2. Download "Web Companion Patch Update v1.0" from http://webcompanion.com/wc_update.

3. Run the downloaded file .... then went into Control Panel and Uninstalled Web Companion again (it appeared in the list of programs again after this patch)

Note:
Thanks to CeceliaB for her earlier instructions in another post: https://forum.adaware.com/index.php?/topic/34376-solution-for-lavasofttcpservice-problem-after-uninstallation/#comment-151613

Edited by ooze
solved the problem

16 answers to this question

On 6/6/2018 at 1:20 PM, ooze said:

Hi, web companion got installed so I uninstalled it via the Control Panel. During the uninstall process, something popped up (don't remember exactly what it was).

After every restart on my laptop, a pop-up appears:

"webcompanion.ui.appcore.services.installerservice" threw an exception

I've attached the FRST.txt and Addition.txt (deleted)

Please help me remove this cleanly.

Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solved the problem by doing this:

Option #3

1. Restart Windows to unlock LavasoftTcpService64.dll (LavasoftTcpService.dll).

2. Download "Web Companion Patch Update v1.0" from http://webcompanion.com/wc_update.

3. Run the downloaded file .... then went into Control Panel and Uninstalled Web Companion again (it appeared in the list of programs again after this patch)

Note:
Thanks to CeceliaB for her earlier instructions in another post: https://forum.adaware.com/index.php?/topic/34376-solution-for-lavasofttcpservice-problem-after-uninstallation/#comment-151613

This does not work for me. The program did not reappear in the control panel to uninstall again. Any other hints please? I feel really irritating.

Hi Nyein Chan,

Have you tried the other two alternatives on the page that ooze linked to?

If no alternative works in your computer, please see this post:

Nyein, you're welcome :)

1. Please, start Notepad.
Copy all text that is in the box:

CreateRestorePoint:
CloseProcesses:
HKU\S-1-5-21-2809528103-2808818042-3570622398-1000\...\Run: [Web Companion] => C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Web Companion\Application\WebCompanion.exe [7407392 2019-01-07] (Lavasoft)
HKU\S-1-5-21-2809528103-2808818042-3570622398-1000\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = hxxps://search.yahoo.com/yhs/web?hspart=lvs&hsimp=yhs-awc&type=lvs__webcompa__1_0__ya__hp_WCYID10454__180521__yaie
SearchScopes: HKU\S-1-5-21-2809528103-2808818042-3570622398-1000 -> {C0C3A6C6-03BC-4195-8FCB-AEA091301353} URL = hxxps://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=lvs&hsimp=yhs-awc&type=lvs__webcompa__1_0__ya__ch_WCYID10454__180521__yaie&p={searchTerms}
FF Homepage: Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\6wzytc6l.default -> hxxps://search.yahoo.com/yhs/web?hspart=lvs&hsimp=yhs-awc&type=lvs__webcompa__1_0__ya__hp_WCYID10454__180521__yaff
FF NewTab: Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\6wzytc6l.default -> hxxps://search.yahoo.com/yhs/web?hspart=lvs&hsimp=yhs-awc&type=lvs__webcompa__1_0__ya__hp_WCYID10454__180521__yaff
FF SearchPlugin: C:\Users\Nyein Chan\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\6wzytc6l.default\searchplugins\yahoo-lavasoft-ff59.xml [2018-05-21]
CHR DefaultSearchURL: Default -> hxxps://defaultsearch.co/?q={searchTerms}
CHR DefaultSearchKeyword: Default -> Default Search
2019-01-07 17:52 - 2018-05-21 07:23 - 000000000 ____D C:\Users\Nyein Chan\AppData\Local\Lavasoft
2019-01-07 17:47 - 2018-05-21 07:22 - 000000000 ____D C:\Users\Nyein Chan\AppData\Roaming\Lavasoft
IE trusted site: HKU\S-1-5-21-2809528103-2808818042-3570622398-1000\...\webcompanion.com -> hxxp://webcompanion.com
Reboot:

and paste in Notepad. Check that no files have been split on two lines.
Save the file as fixlist.txt in the same folder as the FRST program.

Exit all programs.
Start FRST, please.
Click the Fix button.
Wait until the tool has finished.

It creates a log file, called Fixlog.txt.
Please, paste the content of that file in your reply.

2. Please go through the settings in all your browsers and change the start page and the search providers according to your preferences.

3. Do you see any signs of web companion now?

Hello CeciliaB, I do the steps you said and here is the fixlog file. After restarting, I found that all other extensions I added are gone except adaware extension (which I did not see previously). I removed it. And I restart again. That "another instance is running " window still appears.

Fixlog.txt

Hi Nyein,

Extensions to which program and can you give an example of a missing extension?

The fix did very little since fixlist.txt contains a lot of returns that shouldn't be there. But don't try again until the problem with the missing extensions has an explanation.

Sorry, but you haven't mentioned a message about another instance before. Please give me more details about that.

Hello CeciliaB,

I only use a few extensions in Chrome and all of them were gone yesterday. They are: Hide my IP, Internet Download Manager, MUA Web Unicode Converter and Tornplus for Torn. 

"Another instance is running" is the title of the window that shows this issue. Please take a look at the screenshot.

Untitled-1.jpg

Hi Nyein,

It's possible that the fixlist.txt with too many returns destroyed something in the profile of Chrome. We can try to restore everything in the quarantine of FRST since that should restore the add-ons if FRST removed them.

Please, start Notepad.
Copy all text that is in the box:

CloseProcesses:
Folder: C:\FRST\Quarantine
RestoreQuarantine:
Reboot:

and paste in Notepad.
There should be only four lines. If an extra return has been inserted between the word "Folder:" and the path "C:\FRST\Quarantine", the quarantine folder will be deleted and no restoration can be done.
Save the file as fixlist.txt on the desktop.

Exit all programs.
Start FRST, please.
Click the Fix button.
Wait until the tool has finished.

It creates a log file, called Fixlog.txt, on the desktop.
Please, paste the content of that file in your reply.

Have the add-ons been restored?

Hi Nyein, sorry but you forgot to upload the file.

There were only three files that was quarantined by FRST:
ProgramData\Lavasoft\Web Companion\Logs\Webcompanion\webcompanion.log
ProgramData\Lavasoft\Web Companion\Options\ActiveFeatures.zip
Users\Nyein.xBAD

Removing those files can't make add-ons disappear in Chrome. Something else must have happened in the computer at approx. the same time.
Please scan with FRST again and upload the new FRST.txt.

Please tell me there's a way to remove this.  I have also tried everything in this thread, just as Nyein Chan   I have no idea where it even came from.

Hi DMsvg,

Web Companion is installed during the installation by another program, e.g. uTorrent.

Please, download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) and save it on the desktop:
For 64 bits Windows: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST64.exe
For 32 bits Windows: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST.exe

Start the FRST program.

Read the disclaimer and click Yes to accept it.
Click Scan button.
When done, FRST will create two log files, called FRST.txt and Addition.txt, on the desktop.

Please, attach them to your reply.