Sign in to follow this  
Mick-H

Scan is locked in infinite loop

Question

Hello

I have a problem with AV12 Free. The scan function (Quick and Full) has stopped working.

I click the scan and it starts OK and the timer starts, but it just seems to goes on infinitely. (A normal quick scan takes about 2 / 3 mins on average, never more than 5 mins).

I had to cancel it yesterday, when it was up past an hour as I felt it was locked in a loop.

I've since removed and reinstsalled it, still no change.

I don't know if it is connected, but the Stop button doesn't work either. Neither does closing the application down in Task Manager. Only way to stop it is to reboot PC.

I'm on a Desktop PC with Windows 7

I wonder if you could help in any way.

Thanks
Mick

Hi, I am having the same issue since late last week after the definition update and both quick and full scan function were not able to complete at 1 second left in scan with the "Adaware Antivirus Pro" version in Window 7 Home Premium - 64bit

It appears to be a software bug, please provide update to solve this issue immediately.

Thank you.

Edited by Kven

Received feedback from Adaware.  They suggested to run the "repair" from the Add/Remove Programs when you choose "Modify" instead of "Uninstall".  Just run it, the process of repair completed with however the issue still persist.  When the scan function work, it shows which files it scans ... with the issue nothing scan even if the progress bar reach 99.9%.  Sounds a deeper problem.  I've tried before complete uninstall and it did not solve the issue.  I think it is normal that the repair did not fix the issue.

Adaware-repair.pdf

On 12/1/2018 at 12:38 AM, CeciliaB said:

Hi Lyresa,

Since you've paid for adaware antivirus you can contact their support team, if you want help directly from the company. You can contact them from the menus in adaware antivirus. If you want to continue in this topic, please attach log files as described in my first post in this topic.

I have sent this information and more to the supposedly 24/7 help center on my adaware pro and you are the only one that contacted me. I am now showing the red notice like everyone else that my scan is too old because none of my scans will finish! I have to turn off my laptop ans yank out the battery just to make sure the old scan shuts down and I try to scan through the yellow bar on the bottom that comes with the too old scan warning and now it has been stuck on that scan 28:28:51 and counting elapsed time. So my full scans do not get past calculating phase and my quick scans get stuck with 00:00:01 estimated time left.  😡

I did some research and found the numbers for Customer Service! The Agent I spoke with said they're aware of the problem and Technicians are working to repair it. He said it should be resolved in a few days, if it's not resolved by Friday I'll be calling again!!!

Adaware Customer Service.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My contact person says that it's something to do with the definitions, that's why you all got the problem within a few days and there was no program update last week.

It won't help to uninstall or repair etc.
No more log files are needed at the moment.

Please, be patient and wait until it's solved or I've new information.

My contact person says that the default log files don't contain enough with information to be able to understand why some users have this problem, and therefore wishes that you turn on debug logging:

Please right-click This Computer icon and select
Properties -> Change settings -> Advanced -> Environment Variables -> New (under System variables) -> OK.

In the Varable Name field please type: ADAWARE_LOG_LEVEL
and in the Variable Value field and then type: Debug

If ADAWARE_LOG_LEVEL already exists, write down the current value first.

Please restart the computer since they need to catch the beginning of the scan process.
Let adaware antivirus scan again.

Collect and upload new adaware logs: https://forum.adaware.com/index.php?/topic/34799-how-to-report-a-problem/
Post the link to the logs in this topic.

If ADAWARE_LOG_LEVEL did exist, please restore Debug to the old value.
If it didn't exist, please delete ADAWARE_LOG_LEVEL instead.

If you have the scan working but don't have firewall or web protection, as one person suggested turn on Windows Firewall. For Web protection download Ad-Aware Web Companion: https://www.webcompanion.com/. This will help until you get Ad-Aware Antivirus working properly.

Running the Add/Remove Programs and doing a repair fixed the scanning problem. So thanks, Francois and Lyresa. My problem is solved. I have Ad-Adaware in compatibility mode as another antivirus program is my main program. Now I understand someone got the scan to work but haven't gotten some of the other features to work. So until this problem is resolved, I would suggest installing Ad-Aware Web Companion and if you have Google Chrome or Opera install Ad-Aware Safe Search, a Google Chrome add-on.

Edited by robertfare1

On 12/4/2018 at 12:20 PM, Lyresa said:

This was the answer I got from support when I reported it through my adaware pro  box. 

Please try to repair Ad-Aware. Kindly follow the steps listed below:

1. Click the Start button on your computer (left-hand side of the screen).

2. Click Control Panel in the Start Menu.

3. Double-click Add or Remove Programs / Click Programs, and then click Programs and Features.

Select Ad-Aware Antivirus from the list and then click Change.

The programs installed are typically listed in an alphabetical order.

4. With the dialog box displayed, select Repair Ad-Aware and then click Next.

5. You can see the repairing process in progress.

6. Once the repairing process is complete, click Close.

This worked to fix the scan and it is now working properly however it turned off my network protection/firewall and I am unable to get it back on. I had to turn my windows firewall back on and am waiting to hear back from support to see what they advise. It did fix the scan though so happy about that 😀

Thank you for your information and looking forward to have the all the issues resolved asap from the techs. 

Hi to All,

worked with Adaware support team.  Last recommendation they suggested to update to latest "definition file" after submitting log file and ".NFO" file from my pc configuration.  Nice outcome, after updating to the latest definition file it has fixed the scan issue on all my 3 PC.

Great news.  Discovered great forum and lot of constructive post.

Thanks to everyone!

François

• Like 1