Sign in to follow this  
Lori Krenik

Lori Krenik

Question

I am on Windows 7 and I have uninstalled Ad-Aware (not sure what version but it will no longer update to any newer version .... possibly 9)  However, upon start-up and throughout the day if I have my web browser open i get a pop-up from Ad-aware asking me to update.  It won't allow me to update to a newer version.

You're now the annoying pop-up!!!!!

9 answers to this question

Please, download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) and save it on the desktop: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

Start the FRST program.

Read the disclaimer and click Yes to accept it.
Click Scan button.
When done, FRST will create two log files, called FRST.txt and Addition.txt, on the desktop.

Please, attach them to your reply.

I'll go through the logs today or tomorrow and see how to remove any left-overs of adaware antivirus.

Hi Lori,

It's a very long time since Ad-Aware version 9 was supported with new definitions, hopefully you haven't been using that during the last years. If it was version 11, adaware removal tool should work: https://www.adaware.com/removal-tool
Since you mention the browsers, please go through the add-ons and settings, e.g. search engines, in all your browsers, maybe you can uninstall or disable something related to adaware in them.

Please come back for more suggestions, if those suggestions don't remove your problem.

I've been working on this problem for over a year .... nothing works.  I can't even load newer versions because I get an error message telling me they can't uninstall older version.
My next step is taking it to a professional to find the issue.  And for a "free" version I'm sure I'll have to pay.

I can see that there is a failed uninstallation of Ad-Aware version 11 since there are hidden uninstallation programs for parts of it. The following script will display those uninstallation programs in the list of installed programs.

1. Please, start Notepad.
Copy all text that is in the box:

CreateRestorePoint:
AdAwareInstaller (HKLM\...\{7BFE8C40-F176-4320-91AC-39B08E1C623E}) (Version: 11.11.898.9090 - Lavasoft) Hidden
AdAwareUpdater (HKLM\...\{92565CD9-F8E0-4330-BEEC-A6041F79A880}) (Version: 11.11.898.9090 - Lavasoft) Hidden
AntimalwareEngine (HKLM\...\{20334FA5-6CD5-48FC-B5F9-D34D75E07845}) (Version: 3.0.129.0 - Lavasoft) Hidden

and paste in Notepad. Check that no files have been split on two lines (have to be 4 lines).
Save the file as fixlist.txt on the desktop.

Exit all programs.
Start FRST, please.
Click the Fix button.
Wait until the tool has finished.

It creates a log file, called Fixlog.txt, on the desktop.

2. In the list of installed programs, please uninstall:
AntimalwareEngine
AdAwareUpdater
AdAwareInstaller

3. Restart the computer and scan with FRST.
Attach the new log file(s) and the log file Fixlog.txt, and tell me if you could uninstall those three programs.

I'll check all log files to find more left-overs.

I was not able to uninstall  the AdAwareInstaller .... got an error message: 

"Error 1921.  Service AdAware Service 11 could not be stopped.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to stop system services."

I was able to uninstall the other two.

When I restarted the computer, AdAware pop-up opened as well ...... 

Addition.txt

Fixlog.txt

FRST.txt

1. The System Restore function isn't working. Are you aware of that?
It's a very useful function that can be used to restore the computer to the state of a stored restore point, instead of reinstalling Windows. If you can enable and get it to work, please do that before proceeding with these instructions.

2. Please, start Notepad.
Copy all text that is in the box:

CreateRestorePoint:
CloseProcesses:
HKLM\...\Run: [AdAwareTray] => C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Ad-Aware Antivirus\11.11.898.9090\AdAwareTray.exe [9584864 2016-06-10] (Lavasoft Limited -> )
R2 LavasoftAdAwareService11; C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Ad-Aware Antivirus\11.11.898.9090\AdAwareService.exe [730496 2016-06-10] (Lavasoft Limited -> )
S3 Trufos; C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\Trufos.sys [485512 2016-04-28] (Bitdefender SRL -> BitDefender S.R.L.)
ContextMenuHandlers2: [AdAwareContextMenu] -> {5B64240D-5B36-4B9F-A75F-4925B6A53D5B} => C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Ad-Aware Antivirus\11.11.898.9090\AdAwareShellExtension.dll [2016-06-10] (Lavasoft Limited -> )
ContextMenuHandlers3: [AdAwareContextMenu] -> {5B64240D-5B36-4B9F-A75F-4925B6A53D5B} => C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Ad-Aware Antivirus\11.11.898.9090\AdAwareShellExtension.dll [2016-06-10] (Lavasoft Limited -> )
AlternateDataStreams: C:\ProgramData\TEMP:720A0E6F [480]
MSCONFIG\startupreg: AdAwareTray => "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Ad-Aware Antivirus\11.11.898.9090\AdAwareTray.exe"
Reboot:

and paste in Notepad. Check that no files have been split on two lines.
Save the file as fixlist.txt on the desktop.

Exit all programs.
Start FRST, please.
Click the Fix button.
Wait until the tool has finished.

It creates a log file, called Fixlog.txt, on the desktop.
Please, paste the content of that file in your reply.

3. This is a very old version of Java with many known vulnerabilities that can be exploited by web pages:

Java 7 Update 45 (64-bit) (HKLM\...\{26A24AE4-039D-4CA4-87B4-2F86417045FF}) (Version: 7.0.450 - Oracle)
Java 7 Update 45 (HKLM-x32\...\{26A24AE4-039D-4CA4-87B4-2F83217045FF}) (Version: 7.0.450 - Oracle)

I recommend that you uninstall it.

The fix seems to have worked even that most lines in Fixlog.txt were split into several lines.

Rename the FRST program file FRST64.exe to uninstall.exe and run it. That will delete the program, its log files and quarantine folder.

• Like 1