Sign in to follow this  
Mick-H

Adaware keeps defaulting to no definitions and unactivated

Question

Hello,

I'm having a sort of reset problem with adaware V12 free. I'm on Win 7 desktop in UK.

Every now and then, adaware will default to this . . .

ada1.jpg.0f7488353b4943025888fc8465c56367.jpg

It will stay in that checking loop indefinately if I let is, or by pressing "close"  I get this . . .

ada2.jpg.41b3e79b0eed267f0c9ca5e91b494430.jpg

Re-checking does nothing but start the cycle again. The only way out of it so far has been to remove adaware and reinstall.

This has been happening since the start of V12, but happened so infrequently (maybe every 3 or 4 months) I just lived with it as it didn't

really cause me too much concern.

However I've noticed it is now happening more and more frequently, and is now occuring just about every 1 or 2 days.

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this, and if there is a fix already, or is it just me.

Thanks for reading
Mick

9 answers to this question

Hi Mick,

I can see that adaware antivirus isn't activated. Have you tried to do that?

Do you really has adaware antivirus version 12?
The screen shots looks rather old.

Edited by CeciliaB

H Cecilia,

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Yes, I have V12 although I now see a proble.

adding the activation key vrom the last a couple of days ago  (3R83d- . . -2AUJ4 which is the current V12 activation code) It failed and gave me a log file. In that it is saying, amongst other things the version I "now" have is V 11.15.1046.10613. So although that is probably why it is not updating or activating, I have no idea how this could be.

Everytime I have removed and reinstalled, it is always 12 I install, and everything works fine. Then, as said, ocasionally, and now almost every other day I ame faced with the above images. I will add that it didn't occur to me that the interface looked old, I now see it must be the old V11 that somehow kicks in (When it is working is is the more uptodate interface of V12)

Thanks again
Mick

Just investigated a bit further and I see the problem is far more simple to explain.

Version 12 is siiting there and working fine, but for some reason the taskbar icon (bottom right on a desktop Win 7 PC) just reverts to an old version 11 that still apprears to be partially there.  and automatically opens V11) It looks like I have to somehow find a way to remove it (there are no exe files in this folder, and it won't delete)

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mick-H
further investigation, beeter info

Hi Mick,

Probably a failed uninstallation of version 11 that disturbs version 12. I suggest the following method:

1. Please, uninstall adaware/Ad-Aware the usual way.

2. Restart the computer.

3. Run adaware Removal tool to get rid of some left-overs: https://www.adaware.com/removal-tool

4. Restart the computer.

5. Please, download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) and save it on the desktop: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

Start the FRST program.

Read the disclaimer and click Yes to accept it.
Click Scan button.
When done, FRST will create two log files, called FRST.txt and Addition.txt, on the desktop.

Please, attach them to your reply and I'll go through them, check if there are more leftovers and how they can be deleted.

Edited by CeciliaB

You're welcome :)

There are very few left-overs but I also found three very old files from Bitdefeder that might disturb adaware.

I can see that IObit Malware Fighter has registered itself as an anti-spyware program with real-time protection. It's possible that it and adaware antiivirus (also registered as anti-spyware) don't work well together and disturb each other.

Please, start Notepad.
Copy all text that is in the box:

CreateRestorePoint:
CloseProcesses:
S3 avc3; C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\avc3.sys [1605376 2016-11-23] (Bitdefender SRL -> BitDefender)
R3 avchv; C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\avchv.sys [285240 2016-11-23] (Bitdefender SRL -> BitDefender)
S3 avckf; C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\avckf.sys [878072 2016-11-23] (Bitdefender SRL -> BitDefender)
2019-04-19 14:16 - 2019-04-19 14:16 - 000000000 ____D C:\ProgramData\adaware
2019-04-03 17:49 - 2019-04-03 17:49 - 000000000 ____D C:\Users\User1\AppData\Local\AdAwareUpdater
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\adawareantivirusservice => ""="Service"
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\LavasoftAdAwareService11 => ""="Service"
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\adawareantivirusservice => ""="Service"
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\LavasoftAdAwareService11 => ""="Service"
Reboot:

and paste in Notepad. Check that no files have been split on two lines. There shall be 12 lines.
Save the file as fixlist.txt on the desktop.

Exit all programs.
Start FRST, please.
Click the Fix button.
Wait until the tool has finished.

It creates a log file, called Fixlog.txt, on the desktop.
Please, paste the content of that file in your reply.

Disable IObit Malware Fighter during the installation of adaware antivirus.

Install adaware antivirus.

Restart the computer.

Morning Cecilia,

I've now done the install of V12, reebooted the computer, and everything seems to be fine.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

All the best
Mick

Morning Mick,

Very good!

You're welcome :) and I'm glad everything is working now.