Sign in to follow this  
Ryochan

Printer Issues due to Adaware

Question

I have recently installed a new printer, a Canon Pixma TS8220, and try as I might, I cannot get it to allow me to print from my computer.  Contacted Canon's customer service, who did every check they could think of, and nothing.  They suggested it may be the Adaware which is causing the issue, perhaps due to closed/opened ports that should not be.  I attempted to find a way to check the ports, but was unable.  However, to confirm whether Adaware was the issue, I shut it down for a few moments - and lo and behold, things printed!  Turning it back on, they would not print ("Pinter Not Responding" error), and turning off again, they would.

I need to figure out how to find the ports being blocked/not blocked in Adaware, and enable/disable the ones which will allow me to print, but I find no current documentation on how.  And I can't turn my Adaware off every time I need to print something.  Any help would be appreciated!

8 answers to this question

It's a known problem and it's Web Protection in adaware that blocks the access of the printer. They're working on a solution that will be  included in the next major release of adaware, but I don't know the time plans for future versions. In the mean time it's possible to disable Web Protection by following this instruction:

1. Please stop Ad-Aware service (make a right click on the Ad-Aware icon in the tray menu and choose "Stop Ad-Aware service")
2. Go to c:\Program Files\adaware\adaware antivirus\AdAwareProxyEngine\1.0.0.8\
3. In this folder you need to rename "httproxy.dll" file ( (e.g. to httproxy.dll.notused, do not remove the file,).
4. Start Ad-Aware service (make a right click on the Ad-Aware icon in the tray menu and choose "Start Ad-Aware service" or restart the computer) .

Hi Ryochan,

Do you have adaware antivirus free or a paid version of it?

Sometimes a complete uninstallation including using the Removal tool and a new installation of adaware antivirus after a restart of the computer helps. Do you want to try that?
I can give you a link to the Removal tool in that case.

Users of the paid version can contact the support team through the menus in the program, I'm only a volunteer and not familiar with the firewall and other functions in the paid versions.

1. Uninstall the usual way (Control Panel or Settings).
  2. Restart the computer.
  3. Use the Removal tool: https://www.adaware.com/removal-tool
  4. Restart the computer.
  5. Install again.

Be sure to have the license key available before uninstalling.

Sorry to hear that.
If you send a private message with your name, email address and preferably order number to me (don't post it in the forum), I can ask my contact person why you haven't got a reply. I assume that you have logged in to the web mail and checked the spam folder.