deniscruickshank

Service Unavailable

Question

I have been using Adaware Antivirus for years with no issues. the last couple of days I have been getting the 'Service Unavailable' message each time after I have loaded the program and it has loaded the latest updates. I have uninstalled the program, rebooted and reloaded several times with the same result. It says to click on the tray menu icon then select start adaware service. I have clicked on the icon on my taskbar and it loads the program but doesn't give me an option to start the service. it gives me the error instead.

8 answers to this question

Hi deniscruickshank,

The tray menu icon is an icon in the area where the clock is, sometimes you need to click on an up arrow to see all those icons. Do you find the right icon and menu?

I received this message after Avg labeled  Ad-aware as containing a virus as reported in the post below.  When I tried to update Ad-Aware  Avg captured the Ad Aware Installer program. I have sent this to Avg as a false positive but have not seen a reply.

6 hours ago, ronkw said:

I received this message after Avg labeled  Ad-aware as containing a virus as reported in the post below.  When I tried to update Ad-Aware  Avg captured the Ad Aware Installer program. I have sent this to Avg as a false positive but have not seen a reply.

Thanks for the information.

Often the antivirus companies don't respond but change the definitions.

On 11/10/2020 at 8:32 PM, ronkw said:

On Nov 15 2011 this problem self corrected. Adaware automatically initiated a quick scan that AVG objected to when Adaware tried to remove or change something in my Dropbox. When I said allow the scan finished without finding anything. and Adaware seems to be fully functional again. I have not noticed any new version of Adaware I have version 12.10.55.0 Perhaps AVG changed. I have not received ay notification of any change.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ronkw said:

On Nov 15 2011 this problem self corrected. Adaware automatically initiated a quick scan that AVG objected to when Adaware tried to remove or change something in my Dropbox. When I said allow the scan finished without finding anything. and Adaware seems to be fully functional again. I have not noticed any new version of Adaware I have version 12.10.55.0 Perhaps AVG changed. I have not received ay notification of any change.

The AVG version on my computer did not change but the virus file definitions  version changed to 201116-2 Perhaps this fixed my problem.

24 minutes ago, ronkw said:

The AVG version on my computer did not change but the virus file definitions  version changed to 201116-2 Perhaps this fixed my problem.

Probably.

On 11/16/2020 at 2:19 PM, CeciliaB said:

Probably.

On 11/16/2020 at 1:54 PM, ronkw said:

On Nov24 2020 Adaware installed a new version about 11am EST  An hour later AVG again labeled it virus infested with the same virus as before.  Adaware is gain unavailable.

Sorry. Maybe you should uninstall AVG since it seems to have too many false positives.