Sign in to follow this  
steverex

More than 24hrs for full scan?

Question

Does it take this long to scan the entire system? Its so laggy to even run Quickbooks during the scanning process, At first i thought its because of some error i downloaded  a program to see if it is the problem of Quickbooks or not, but as it was so lagging i couldn't even complete the full download, upon seeing on task manager i found it was the antivirus using all the memory. is it common for this to take so long? 

Edited by CeciliaB
Unnecessary link and product names removed, don't use the forum for SEO

4 answers to this question

Hi steverex,

Which process was using all the memory?

Is this a new installation or have you been using adaware antivirus for awhile with several Full Scans?

The first full scan can take very long time since information is saved about every file and that information is used during the next scan to shorten the time.

If there are file system errors or if the hard disk is bad, the scan might take very long time due to all reading errors.

I am not a part of the Volunteer Team here at Adaware, so please keep that in mind, but I do have many years of experience using many different antivirus products on many different computers and I will offer that 24 hours for any scan, whether it be the first one or not, is not normal.  I would have concerns and I would trust that one of the Volunteer Team will offer some ideas as to what those concerns might be, because I am probably stepping on toes now and will be in trouble for posting this --- BUT 24 hours is most definitely a long time --- I'd state too long, but ...

3 minutes ago, M-Nyby said:

I am not a part of the Volunteer Team here at Adaware, so please keep that in mind, but I do have many years of experience using many different antivirus products on many different computers and I will offer that 24 hours for any scan, whether it be the first one or not, is not normal.  I would have concerns and I would trust that one of the Volunteer Team will offer some ideas as to what those concerns might be, because I am probably stepping on toes now and will be in trouble for posting this --- BUT 24 hours is most definitely a long time --- I'd state too long, but ...

We welcome everyone to reply to questions :default_smile:
That's how I and other persons have started to be frequent users of the forum.

I agree that 24 hours usually is too long, but if e.g. an antivirus program scans 100 TB of files, it will take very long time or if the hard disk is bad and Windows has to read the data many times before it's correct and can be transferred to the antivirus program.

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, I needed that laugh --- most definitely, if it is 100TB then 24 hours could be what happens.  My goodness --- my first computer was a TRS80 (the Trash80, we called it) and I doubt anyone at that time even dreamed of a 100TB unit.

But, yes, with 100TB it could take a very long time, especially if there is a problem with the disk.

Still, I never thought of 100TB and so ... well, you have the experience here; I don't.  I can't even imagine 100TB.  I think at 100TB that unit would be running me, not the other way around.

• Like 1