mike30269

Adaware: Friend or Foe?

Question

Is adaware a product from a company that has a mission statement of helping the unsuspecting consumer or business from falling prey to the unscrupulous tactics of the dishonest who want to infecting computers with viruses and malware for personal gain?  Or is adaware a company that plays both sides of the coin, pushing out those same viruses and malwares on one hand and then selling people products to fix them on the other hand?  

I had used the free version of Adaware for several years and found it to be effective.  When I started a business and needed a little more protection I bought a 2 year subscription to Pro Security 2.  My only complaint is that when it is actively doing a scan it eats up most of my CPU capacity making it hard to do much else... the system bogs down.  I can time it to where that isn't a huge problem however

Yesterday I started getting a popup purportedly from adaware stating I needed to install the latest version of the software.  By today it has gone from a friendly reminder to one of the most annoying popups I have ever experienced.  First of all it takes over the entire screen so if I am working ion a project while looking at a book then when it pops up, whatever I am typing stops although I am still typing because I am referring to a book or transcript and don't see it.  Secondly it seems to work for 15 or 20 seconds prior to appearing, perhaps pulling account information or whatever it needs to be ready for whatever option one might choose.  It seems to do the same thing when one tries to close the window.  During this time - and it is brief - the computer slows to a crawl.  Thirdly, and most importantly to me, the popup is relentless and thought-interrupting when one is sitting there doing intensive work.  I don't know the exact frequency but something like 8 minutes between?  It doesn't appear to have any selection like "remind me again in two weeks" or don't show this to me again." 

At first I was convinced the popup was adware itself... but when I went through the program as installed on my computer to update the software, the exact same screen that the popup was showing appeared.  When I started asking on the internet how to keep adaware from popping up update notifications, there were as many people who were asking how to get the "adaware virus" off their computer as there were people asking if it was a good virus protector. Specifically, I kept seeing references to Adaware Web Companion that seemed to have little opposition to the idea that this was full-fledged malware or adware with no redeeming qualities.  

So again, is Adaware a product of a company who sees its role as providing a defense to the bombardment of viruses and malware or are they pushing in deceiving and harmful things to our computer so they can benefit from folks buying their software to remove them?

1 answer to this question

Hi mike30269,

I'm sorry to hear about your problem and I'll forward the information to my contact person in the company.