Sign in to follow this  
sabarnett

Definition file compromised

EVERY time I start Ad-aware SE Plus 1.06r1, I get the following message:

Your definition file has been compromised. Please delete your definition file and restart Ad-Aware.

If I do this, I get an error message and a new definition file is downloaded. However, it does not seem to matter whether I do this or not as, next time I open Ad-Aware, I get the same "been compromosed" message.

I emailed Tech Support, but they can't be bothered to answer me. Does anyone else know what might be causing this please?

Thanks

Steve

P.S.

I tried downloading the beta test version of the authenticity checker - Ad-Aware just hung when that was installed, so I removed it.

P.P.S.

Have scanned the PC with Norton, Counter Spy and Ewido to check for viruses and spyware. All come up clean.

Edited by Steve Barnett

This has been happening on my 98 box for a couple of months now as well. Having found a better product, I think I now have my excuse to finally ditch AdAware--particularly given the indifference of its developers in resolving this problem, which is echoed several times right here, with no response. Too bad too, since I have faithfully used AAW since 2000, and always recommended it to others--a few of which actually bought the paid-for product. Bye

EVERY time I start Ad-aware SE Plus 1.06r1, I get the following message:

Your definition file has been compromised. Please delete your definition file and restart Ad-Aware.

Sorry to hear about the problems with Ad-Aware Plus, I was wondering if you were using a Firewall when

downloading the definition?

Are you manually downloading them, or are you allowing Ad-aware to download and install it?

Are you using error correction with your modem?

Sometimes it also helps if you specify which software you are running, and what type of machine.

For me it seems that you are using an old version of our auth checker.

Please delete the files in your plugin folder under your version of AAW.

You should normaly be able to find it under c:\program files\lavasoft\Ad-Aware\plugins\

Then you can try out downloading the def file again.

If you still want to use our new auth checker, please download the latest version.

Let me know if you still experience any further questions after this steps.

Tech support finally emailed me today with a bland "it's a known issue" response:

This is indeed a problem with our product, the authenticity checker.

However, the definitions file are allright. You can simply close down

the warning window and use them. We are working on getting the

authenticity checker up to date, and apologise for the inconvinience

I tried the new checker (beta test) and it made Ad-Aware hang... to the point where I had to reboot to make Ad-Aware work at all, so I guess there isn't going to be a fix any time soon.

I think it's the total indifference from support that bothers me most. As other posters have said, this issue has been going on for months but no one seems to want to fix it.

Guess I'll have to rely on CounterSpy and Ewido from now on as I obviously won't know if the Ad-Aware definitions are really compromised or not.

Steve

Hi Steve Barnett,

Don't give up yet ... :angry:

Try a Manual Update to get you back on track. Download the (zipped) latest Definition File from http://updates.ls-servers.com/public/defs.zip

Unzip this file and you will get a "defs.ref" file, which should be extracted to "C\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Plus ( if you installed the program elsewhere, then change the default path).

Now run Ad-Aware. If the definition file is still showing your old one, then click on the settings icon (the cog wheel), then click "General". At the bottom right, there is a box saying "Using Definition File". Click the "Open file" icon next to that box and then browse to the definition file in "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Plus (ie: "defs.ref"). Select it and press open. You should now have the latest version, SE1R130 06.11.2006 (Check in the top-left of the main Ad-Aware status screen, under "Initialisation Status").

The next time a new Definition file is released (keep an eye on this section of the forum: Definition Updates) you should be able to perform the usual "Check for Updates" method.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Spike

Sign in to follow this