Sign in to follow this  
TigerLord

Can't retrieve definition file

According to the support FAQ, if it stops after 5%, it means my firewall stops the D*mn thing...

But they're not smart because they don't tell you which PORT to open up... so I tried with DMZ on, and it still didn't work. I checked my host file, and also tried deleting but definition file (new and old), still no dice.

I have a D-Link DI-624 Rev. B ... any idea ? Latest firmware as well...

A manual definition update did the trick, but it's not very practical !

Thanks !

Hi TigerLord,

Which Build of Ad-Aware are you using ? (look in the bottom-right corner of the main Status screen) ?

Is it the (free) Personal or the (paid-for) Plus/Pro?

Regards,

Spike

NB: The current Build is Ad-Aware SE 1.06r1

I'm using the free version, and after reading the first post, tried disabling my firewall. No go. It still gave me the error message at 5%. At least I know it isn't just me, and since I reinstalled the program, my definitions are now 500+ days old, and no way to update them. That stinks. I guess I'll go back to CNet for a different program until Ad-Aware gets fixed. :angry:

I am getting the same error stopping at 5% when trying to update definitions,, it also stops at 5% when checking for updates as well,, i have the personal version and i did al lthe3 steps that were suggested and no successs getting it to work,, and ideas?

I'm using the free version, and after reading the first post, tried disabling my firewall. No go. It still gave me the error message at 5%. At least I know it isn't just me, and since I reinstalled the program, my definitions are now 500+ days old, and no way to update them. That stinks. I guess I'll go back to CNet for a different program until Ad-Aware gets fixed. :(

I too am having the same problem in the UK. Tried virtually everything that been suggested on this and the other forums. No go. I have never had a problem before, and nothing has changed on my computer, so the problem must be with Lavasoft. If it is not resolved soon, then I will change my mind about buying.

Vicwinann

Hi,

If you are experiencing dowload problems, try a Manual Update to get you back on track. Download the (zipped) latest Definition File from http://updates.ls-servers.com/public/defs.zip

Unzip this file and you will get a "defs.ref" file, which should be extracted to "C\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE" ( if you installed the program elsewhere, then change the default path).

Now run Ad-Aware. If the definition file is still showing your old one, then click on the settings icon (the cog wheel), then click "General". At the bottom right, there is a box saying "Using Definition File". Click the "Open file" icon next to that box and then browse to the definition file in "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE" (ie: "defs.ref"). Select it and press open. You should now have the latest version, SE1R130 06.11.2006 (Check in the top-left of the main Ad-Aware status screen, under "Initialisation Status").

The next time a new Definition file is released (keep an eye on this section of the forum: Definition Updates)you should be able to perform the usual "Check for Updates" method.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Spike

Hi,

If you are experiencing dowload problems, try a Manual Update to get you back on track. Download the (zipped) latest Definition File from http://updates.ls-servers.com/public/defs.zip

Unzip this file and you will get a "defs.ref" file, which should be extracted to "C\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE" ( if you installed the program elsewhere, then change the default path).

Now run Ad-Aware. If the definition file is still showing your old one, then click on the settings icon (the cog wheel), then click "General". At the bottom right, there is a box saying "Using Definition File". Click the "Open file" icon next to that box and then browse to the definition file in "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE" (ie: "defs.ref"). Select it and press open. You should now have the latest version, SE1R130 06.11.2006 (Check in the top-left of the main Ad-Aware status screen, under "Initialisation Status").

The next time a new Definition file is released (keep an eye on this section of the forum: Definition Updates)you should be able to perform the usual "Check for Updates" method.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Spike

Hello,

Thanks for all that, but no thanks. As a complete computer moron, the reason that I have Ad Aware SE is simply so that I don't have to manually download anything and then install it, risking mucking up any other of my settings. It is comforting to know that I am not the only person experiencing this, but if it is not sorted soon, I will just look at using another supplier's programme.

Regards

Vicwinann