• Announcements

• LS.Andy

Support for other products than adaware, ad block, web protection and Web Companion   05/05/2017

Support for the following products is handled by the Lavasoft support team: Lavasoft Tuneup Kit Lavasoft PC Optimizer Lavasoft Driver Updater Lavasoft Registry Tuner Lavasoft Privacy Toolbox Lavasoft File Shredder Lavasoft Digital Lock

For help with these products, contact the support team here: http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/

Sign in to follow this  
lindseyny99

retrieving deleted files - ad aware

I did a scan with AD-AWARE without using proper security measures and have lost

over 1,000 documents including several years work of family

history!! Please help....how can I retrieve deleted files

from ad aware scans? Is there a way to contact support

other than this forum?

aline

Hi aline,

Not sure how an Ad-Aware scan achieved that but unless you deleted the files instead of (or after) quarantining them, yes you can recover them. That is, it it was the Ad-Aware scan that did it...

If you have your Ad-Aware set to the default safety settings (click the "Configuration Cog Wheel" icon at the upper-right of the main Status Screen):

AAW_Config_General.gif

In the General section, under Safety, you should have a green tick beside the options "Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal" and "Safe mode (always request confirmation)". If you do then go back to the main Status Page:

AAW_Status_Screen.gif

Click on the link in the lower-centre "Open Quarantine list".

If the above options were set correctly, you should find a quarantine file dated the day that you did the scan. Double-click it and you will get a log of the quarantined items. If it is the correct Quarantine file, close the log, then click on "Restore" (in the bottom-right corner).

I hope that that gives you back the files that you are looking for.

Regards,

Spike

hi spike,

thanks for your reply....yes, unforntunately i did not have those safety measures ticked

and did not quarentine my files.

i rarely used ad-aware and didn't realize it's potential....at some point i must have unclicked

the quarantine default setting

so short of using an "undelete" program...there probably isn't much i can do...is there?

boo hoo

aline

Hi aline,

Sorry to hear that. At the moment, I use Norton Systemworks 2005 (2006 is a bit too resource-heavy for my liking), which includes a module that keeps copies of deleted files for a given number of days - I take it that you don't have anything like that?

If the documents really are vital, you should be able to find a computer forensics expert somewhere near your location - deleted files are not actually deleted, you just can't see them any more. May cost a bit but the files should be recoverable, even if their location has been over-written.

Regards,

Spike

Hi Spike,

No, I don't have the Norton program, but I will check around to see if I can find help in recovering the files.

I've been told it is a bad idea to keep using my computer in the meantime, but I have too much work pressing not to. How long are deleted files usually recoverable? Or does that vary?

Thanks for your help. Live and learn!

Aline

Hi aline,

Depends what, and how often, info is over-written where the files were.

Have only a vague idea as to how they do it - but hey, look at what they recovered from deleted emails at Enron and MS ( to name but two).

For what it's worth, I'd get the files recovered sooner rather than later. The more that is over-written, I guess the harder it would be - but that is only a guess :)

Good luck,

Spike

Sign in to follow this