Sign in to follow this  
Donna

False Positives: 7FaSSt and PowerStrip

Ad-aware SE with latest definitions file has false positives and flagged as data miners and rated as critical:

7FaSSt

PowerStrip

Name:7FaSSt

Category:Data Miner

Object Type:Regkey

Size:11 Bytes

Last Activity:12-11-2006

Relevance:Low

TAC index:7

Comment:

Description:Installed by ActiveX. Installs a user ID. Tracks browser use. Records the names of folders, images and other objects on the system.

Size:0 Bytes

Comment:

Description:Installed by ActiveX. Installs a user ID. Tracks browser use. Records the names of folders, images and other objects on the system.

Object Type:RegValue

Size:10 Bytes

Location:software\microsoft\internet explorer\toolbar "{669695BC-A811-4A9D-8CDF-BA8C795F261C}"

Comment:"{669695BC-A811-4A9D-8CDF-BA8C795F261C}"

The above 3 items were added by RadarSync toolbar and application that I am using to check for updates

Name:PowerStrip

Size:10 Bytes

TAC index:6

Comment:

Description:Incomplete uninstaller. Auto updates. Browser Hijacker.

That was added by PowerStrip application which is an overclocking utility.

All are safe apps so I thought to report to you that I believe those are false positives.

Thanks!

Hi Donna and thank you for your report.

We haven´t done any updates in (7FaSSt)-family in a very long time.

And I checked some of the regvalues and we don't considered this as false positives.

I suggest you go to this forum to get more help:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showforum=36

Thank You

Albin Bodahl

Lavasoft Research Team

Thanks Janie!

Thanks to you to Albin for checking this report of mine. I just realized that the 7FaSSt family is in the detection for long time {blushed}

Thanks for the link Albin. However, I'm quite familiar that the said applications are safe and 1 of them is new in the scene (RadarSync) and that the said registry keys are added by the applications I mentioned which I know clean.. I'll pass for now and leave it as ignore by Ad-aware SE ;)

PowerStrip isn't new in the scene though :)

Again, thank you guys :huh:

It is due to the fact that RadarSync uses a Class ID that happens to be in use by known malware as well. As a matter of fact, so does SlingShot...

http://www.castlecops.com/modules.php?name...F-BA8C795F261C}

Although this is arguably due to bad research by the developers of RadarSync and SlingShot, Ad-Aware does risk crippling legitimate software in this way...

Very correct Tony. One of those keys that is known bad but not bad for this instance ;)

For now, I ignore the false positive on RadarSync key and PowerStrip.

BTW, here's a screenshot that HJT shows it is really for RadarSync and I don't know whether RadarSync will do anything to this or LS will adjust the detection:

hjt.jpg

It might not be a bad idea contact RadarSync support about this as well; after all they have an interest not to have their software crippled by AS software.

In all fairness, it is not only AAW that detects this key; I also found instances of SpyBot and SpySweeper detecting 7faSSt in the SlingShot "version" of this registry key as early as a year or two ago...

I reported to them already Tony.

Many thanks again Tony!

Hi all,

Just to follow up on this one, it should be resolved at this point. Our research team states:

For the 7FaSSt Radarsynch collision I'm pretty sure we changed the CLSIDs to be conditional and only be detected if you got a hit on anything else in the 7fasSSt family first. So that issue should be resolved.

Please post back if you find that this is not resolved.

Thanks for reporting it! :huh:

Sign in to follow this