Sign in to follow this  
Nynaeve

My laptop is infected, help.

Laptop seems to be working fine. Driver C: still seems to be packed, even though I deleted all the files I downloaded for the fixing. Very weird. Now, I once increased the C: drive space by dicreasing the space of D:. As i'm sure you've noticed C: is where windows is and D: is where I keep my files. Anyway do you know a program i could use to change the sizes of the drivers? Because I hear that if there is less then 1 GB free in the driver the window is then the computer start working slower.

Oh and i've noticed that the AVG antivirus is only for 30 days. That means I need to fish out another Antivirus, right?

Thanks for all the help,

Nyn

Hello,

One way that you can free up some extra space on your computer is by "defragmenting" it. Over time, the data on your hard drive gets scattered. Defragging a computer puts your data back into sequential order, making it easier for Windows to access it. As a result, the performance of your computer will improve if you defrag the computer. To do so, follow these steps:

Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools

Click on Disk Defragmenter.

Select the drive you wish to defragment, by clicking on it.

Then press Defragment at the bottom.

This can take quite a while to run, so please be patient.

You will obviously need to do this for both of your hard drives, both C: and D: .

As for managing your partitions, I can recommend a program called Partition Magic, a free trial of which can be downloaded from the following link:

http://www.soft32.com/download_151.html

AVG antivirus should n't only be a 30-day trial, the free version last forever. There is, however, a 30-day trial of the Professional edition, but I'm pretty sure that you don't have this version. The lnik I gave you was to the free version, and it also shows up as "AVGFREE" in your HijackThis log. This version will not run out...

Set your system to not show all files.

Navigate to Start | My Computer | Tools | Folder Options.

Select the View tab. Under the "Hidden Files and Folders" heading, select "Show hidden files and folders".

Check: Hide file extensions for known file types

Check the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.

Click Yes to confirm.

Please navigate to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and download all the "critical updates" for Windows. This can patch many of the security holes through which attackers can gain access to your computer.

Either enable 'Automatic Updates' under Start | Control Panel | Automatic Updates, or get into the habit of checking for Windows updates regularly. I cannot stress enough how important this is.

Even though you are complaining of a lack of space on your hard drive, I have a list of programs that I usually suggest people install on their computer once they are free from malware:

Ad-Aware SE

A tutorial on using Ad-Aware to remove spyware from your computer may be found here.

Spybot-Search & Destroy

A tutorial on using Spybot to remove spyware from your computer may be found here. Please also remember to enable Spybot's "Immunize" and "TeaTimer" features.

SpywareBlaster

A tutorial on using SpywareBlaster to prevent spyware from ever installing on your computer may be found here.

Make sure to keep these programs up-to-date and to run them regularly, as this can prevent a great deal of spyware hassle.

Please also read Tony Klein's excellent article: How I got Infected in the First Place

If, of course, you encounter any more problems, please let me know and I'll try my best to sort them out for you.

Thanks and happy computing,

Charles

Edited by LS CalamityJane
Fixed outdated link

Partition magic doesn't seem to be working.... I tried resizing the drivers but it said somehing about having to be in boot mood. Any ideas?

oh and if it's okay for me to install those on the D: driver then no problem, i can do that.

Nyn

Edited by Nynaeve

Hey Nyn,

To be honest with you, partitions are not my strong point when it comes to computers, so I'm afraid I'm unable to help you any further.

What I can suggest though is that you register at another forum (one of those I've linked you to below) and post your problem there. In these forums, experts on this sort of problem will be able to help you, and hopefully they will be able to provide you with a solution. Here are a couple of websites I suggest:

BleepingComputer

GeeksToGo

Please give a link to this thread in your topic, and I hope that your problem will be solved.

Thanks,

Charles

thanks, Charles. I changed the sizes of the drivers and added some space to C: and installed the three programs you told me. So that worked out well.

Just one last thing...and then I promise i'll stop bothering you ;)

I've tried to update my windows to SP2 and it keeps telling me there are no available updates for me. Does that mean the automatic update has already dlaoded the SP2 pack for me?

Also it says i have to verify the windows' key product number. Now i've got the sticker with the key product number on my lappie but it doesn't match the number that the scan of my computer gives. Guess i got ripped off cause I wasn't installed a genuine windows, right?

Although i've been told by a friend that there he had some virus that made his computer 'think' that the key product was wrong.

Anyway...i really don't know if this qualifies in your field. So whatever you know would help.

Nyn

Edited by Nynaeve

yeah, it doesn't seem to work. I can't download it manually. It does it through the microsoft update and that tells me that it searches for important updates and then it says my computer is updated. But I really doubt that i've got SP2 installed on my laptop since i never did install it.

Nyn

For you anything, Charles :(

HiJack log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 23:25:04, on 17/02/2007

Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Program Files\HPQ\One-Touch\OneTouch.EXE

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe

C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\carpserv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe

C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe

C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

D:\Skype\Skype.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\MIRACLE\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

R3 - URLSearchHook: ICQ Toolbar - {855F3B16-6D32-4fe6-8A56-BBB695989046} - C:\Program Files\ICQToolbar\toolbaru.dll

O2 - BHO: XTTBPos00 - {055FD26D-3A88-4e15-963D-DC8493744B1D} - C:\Program Files\ICQToolbar\toolbaru.dll

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx

O3 - Toolbar: MSN Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar\01.01.1601.0\en-us\msntb.dll (file missing)

O3 - Toolbar: ICQ Toolbar - {855F3B16-6D32-4fe6-8A56-BBB695989046} - C:\Program Files\ICQToolbar\toolbaru.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Remote Selector] D:\REMOTE~1\REMOTE~1.EXE startup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QT4HPOT] C:\Program Files\HPQ\One-Touch\OneTouch.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Mirabilis ICQ] C:\PROGRA~1\ICQ\ICQNet.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = D:\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Synchronizer.lnk = D:\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AdobeCollabSync.exe

O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204

O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...b?1170004126860

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{BD735EA3-EB19-4AB0-BFD7-596BBA9C4AAB}: NameServer = 192.116.202.222 213.8.172.83

O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)

O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe

O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe

O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe

Hey again,

Go to the following link, and follow the instructions for installing SP2:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...installsp2.mspx

After you've done all of the above:

Please right-click your My Computer icon, and select Properties.

Go to the General tab.

Under the "System" heading, look for which service pack is installed.

Let me know what it says in your next post.

Thanks,

Charles

;) whenever i operate Window update it tells me i need to validate my windows first. It seems the product key of window that I have written at the bottom of my laptop does not match the one that the window update detects. Now i've tried updating the product key but it did not work. This might be why I don't seem to be able to do this.

Anyway, after i saw that i couldn't get the product key validated i had another option of downloading stuff without having my window validated and when I do that it tells me that there are no critiqial downloads for me. I've read the link you gave me and tried going according the instructions but whenever i use the Window update it tells me that there is nothing for me to download *shrugs*

SP2 just doesn't seem to appear.

The only option i see is installing the network SP2 one since there I actually download the file and don't have to go through windows update. But i'm not sure if it's wise. What do you think, Charles?

Plus it says that the SP2 can also be downloaded through the automatic update and i've got that turned on so I don't understand why it hasn't downloaded it yet.

And I checked in the properties of My Computer and it only lists SP1, which I downloaded it, I didn't do it through the window update since it was giving my trouble as well.

Nyn

Hey Nyn,

Once again this is about as far as my knowledge of these subjects go, so I think it would be best if you posted in one of the earlier linked forums, and an expert in this field could help you.

Sorry, but I think this is the way you'll recieve the best help,

Charles

It's funny that I managed to update to SP1 without validating my windows but i cannot do the same with SP2 *lol*

Anyway I understand it isn't your area, Charles, so thank you for trying.

Thanks for all the help and guidance. I would like to never have to post here again, but i'm guessing i'll be back at some point ;)

Until then,

Nyn

Sign in to follow this