Sign in to follow this  
the dude

im confused

when a loaded up my pc it came up in adware watch sayin corrupt file so a clicked on sort registry mods itself and now my pc is wiered no programs will open a cnt install anythin n a cnt open anythin plz any1 can u hlp me plz i will be most thankfull my email is [email protected] thnx anyways if u cnt help me

I'm confused myself by your sloppy pseudo-slang language. Even if I wanted to help, I wouldn't be able to,

because I don't understand what you are trying to communicate.

Cheers,

jama

when i loaded up my pc. adware se loaded up and came up sayin corrupt file so i clicked on the little box beside accept and now my pc is wiered no programs will open. I cnt install anythin and i cant open anythin. (((and i have been tryin to fix it and its not working evry file i save from the internet wont work because it is a .exe or .Lnk file.))) and i try going into Start then Run and i type "regedit" or "cmd" and it says the same {{Windows cannot open this file)) please any1 can u help me please i will be most thankfull p.s thanks anyways if u cant help me

I would recommened that your email address would be removed from your post, to save it getting picked up and used to send spam to....

Now, what file was corrupt? I'm guessing it is a file that Ad-aware finds?

And are you saying that you edited the registry?

Anyway.... Try to give us abit more information

I would recommened that your email address would be removed from your post, to save it getting picked up and used to send spam to....

Now, what file was corrupt? I'm guessing it is a file that Ad-aware finds?

And are you saying that you edited the registry?

Anyway.... Try to give us abit more information

every 1 ov my files are corrupt all my Cdrive Flies are not working i cant install anything or go into my registry all i can do is go on mozzila firefox and thats it please can u help me

adware watch says a registry modification you want to accept it or decline it

and beside accept theres a little box that says auto and so i ticked it and it counted up to 57 and now none of my programs work i cant system restore i cant do anythin apart from goin on the internet i have tried clickin on run and typin "regedit" and dat dont work either plz can any1 hlp

adware watch says a registry modification you want to accept it or decline it

and beside accept theres a little box that says auto and so i ticked it and it counted up to 57 and now none of my programs work i cant system restore i cant do anythin apart from goin on the internet i have tried clickin on run and typin "regedit" and dat dont work either plz can any1 hlp

Hi

Please have a look at this reply I posted to a similiar situation. Please follow the instructions I posted there. This will restore your key file associations. Once these are working again please run a scan with your Antivirus and a program like Ad-Aware to check if there is any malware on your system. Some malware items will corrupt file associations as part of their payload.

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...findpost&p=3112

If you are not sure of the instructions I posted feel free to post back in this thread.

Hi

Please have a look at this reply I posted to a similiar situation. Please follow the instructions I posted there. This will restore your key file associations. Once these are working again please run a scan with your Antivirus and a program like Ad-Aware to check if there is any malware on your system. Some malware items will corrupt file associations as part of their payload.

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...findpost&p=3112

If you are not sure of the instructions I posted feel free to post back in this thread.

I did follow ur instructions and nothing is working i cant evan install anything my registry wont open this files from http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm i downloaded them all and it neva worked but am starting to think its because of my windows because it is called windows nemesis 4 titan edition plz post ur reply because a am relly wanting to fix my pc because i have files i need on here plz hlp

OK,

Lets see if a different method will work. Can you download fixreg.com from the Grisoft web site.

http://www.grisoft.cz/softw/70/filedir/uti....dir/fixreg.com

Download this file, then double click on the file to run the program. Post back if you can run this program.

Please ensure Ad Watch is set to manual and not automatic as per the earlier post I posted the link to and accept the alerts in Ad Watch when you run the fixreg program.

OK,

Lets see if a different method will work. Can you download fixreg.com from the Grisoft web site.

http://www.grisoft.cz/softw/70/filedir/uti....dir/fixreg.com

Download this file, then double click on the file to run the program. Post back if you can run this program.

Please ensure Ad Watch is set to manual and not automatic as per the earlier post I posted the link to and accept the alerts in Ad Watch when you run the fixreg program.

It downloads but its jst the same "cannot open file". http://www.grisoft.cz/softw/70/filedir/uti....dir/fixreg.com And adware se personal a cant evan open it or install it again because i cant open any files or anything all i can do is go on mozzila firefox and thats it please help me a really wnt my P.C back to normal without reebooting it and losing all my files

Hi

We should be able to fix your PC but it is tricky when the file associations have been corrupted. I am not 100% sure if you can download the file but not run it or if it is the download that gives the "cannot open file" error. Could you confirm if the file downloads OK please.

There is one more approach to try before we manually edit the registry key back to the correct setting. If you have system restore running (it is on by default in XP) please try the following to restore to a date before you had this issue.

You will first need to boot into Safe Mode with a command prompt and then run the system restore from the command line.

Full instructions on how to run the command and a link on how to boot into Safe Mode with a command prompt can be found in this Microsoft article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;en-us;304449#4

Pick a date to restore to before you first had this issue. If this fails we will try another method but it is a bit more tricky so hopefully system restore will work.

No user data will be lost doing such a restore.

Hi, LT.KoopaTroopa. If Ad Astra's suggestion on accessing system restore is unsuccessful, you may want to try the script copy pasted below. It was prepared by Appetiser from the former volunteer-run Lavasoft Support Forums.

The script will restore the .exe and .lnk default values for Windows XP. Please be aware that this program is not an official Lavasoft program and is presented "as is".

In order to more easily follow the instructions after running the script, I suggest moving the files Ad Astra suggested you download from Doug Knox's site to a new folder called c:\regfixes .

For readability, the instructions are pasted below rather than quoted. Please follow the instructions very carefully.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Right mouse click on the Ad-Watch icon in the system tray and select "Ad-Watch Settings". At the bottom of the Ad-Watch window make sure automatic is not checked i.e. it is a red cross.

First you will need to restore the .exe file association. In Notepad create a new file and enter all the text the the code box below:

' VBScript to restore .exe file association with Windows XP 
Option Explicit

Dim strComputer
Dim objRegistry,objDictionary

strComputer = "."
Set objRegistry=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" &_ 
strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")

Set objDictionary = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
objDictionary.Add "HKCR",&h80000000

Call RegAddString( "HKCR", ".exe", "", "exefile")
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", ".exe", "Content Type",_
 "application/x-msdownload" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", ".exe\PersistentHandler", "",_
 "{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile", "", "Application" )
Call RegAddBinary( "HKCR", "exefile", "EditFlags", "38,07,00,00" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile", "TileInfo",_
 "prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile", "InfoTip",_
 "prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion;Create;Size" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\DefaultIcon", "", "%1" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\shell", "", "" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\shell\open", "", "" )
Call RegAddBinary( "HKCR", "exefile\shell\open",_
 "EditFlags", "00,00,00,00" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\shell\open\command", "",_
Chr(34) & "%1" & Chr(34) & Space(1) & "%*" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\shell\runas", "", "" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\shell\runas\command", "",_
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\shellex", "", "" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\shellex\DropHandler",_
 "", "{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers", "", "" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PifProps",_
"", "{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\ShimLayer Property Page",_
"", "{513D916F-2A8E-4F51-AEAB-0CBC76FB1AF8}" )

Function RegKeyExists(rootkey, keypath)
Dim arrValueNames, arrValueTypes
If objRegistry.EnumValues(objDictionary(rootkey), keypath, arrValueNames, arrValueTypes) = 0 Then
 RegKeyExists = True
Else
 RegKeyExists = False
End If	
End Function

Sub RegAddKey(rootkey, keypath)
objRegistry.CreateKey objDictionary(rootkey),keypath
End Sub

Sub RegAddString(rootkey, keypath, valuename, valuedata)
If Not RegKeyExists(rootkey, keypath) Then
 Call RegAddKey( rootkey, keypath )
End If
objRegistry.SetStringValue objDictionary(rootkey),keypath,valuename,valuedata
End Sub

Sub RegAddBinary(rootkey, keypath, valuename, valuearray)
Dim arrValue(),arrHexValue,i,HexVal

arrHexValue = Split(Trim(valuearray),",")
	i=0
	For Each HexVal in arrHexValue
	Redim Preserve arrValue(i)
	arrValue(i) = "&h" & HexVal
  i=i + 1
	Next
	objRegistry.SetBinaryValue objDictionary(rootKey),keypath,valuename,arrValue
	Redim arrValue(0)
End Sub

In Notepad, select file, select save, under "save in" use the pull down menu and select c:\regfixes and for file name enter xp_exe_fix.vbs and under "Save as type" use the pull down menu and select "All files".

Navigate to c:\regfixes and right mouse click on xp_exe_fix.vbs and select open. This will run the script and restore the registry keys associated with the exe file type. If you are running Ad-Watch if it pops an alert whilst this script is running you will need to accept the update to the registry.

Now the .exe file association is restored you will be able to run regedit.exe.

Work through the file association fixes that you downloaded above from Doug Knox's site.

Press start, select run and enter the text in bold below

cmd

Click OK, this will open a command window

at the prompt in the command window enter the text in bold (please note the spaces in the command text)

regedit /s c:\regfixes\xp_com_fix.reg

adjust the path as appropriate to where you unzipped the reg files to

repeat the regedit command for the other reg files you have e.g.

xp_regfile.reg

linkfile_fix.reg

With Ad-Watch it is vital you accept any changes that may be alerted by Ad-Watch when merging these files.

Hi, LT.KoopaTroopa. If Ad Astra's suggestion on accessing system restore is unsuccessful, you may want to try the script copy pasted below. It was prepared by Appetiser from the former volunteer-run Lavasoft Support Forums.

The script will restore the .exe and .lnk default values for Windows XP. Please be aware that this program is not an official Lavasoft program and is presented "as is".

In order to more easily follow the instructions after running the script, I suggest moving the files Ad Astra suggested you download from Doug Knox's site to a new folder called c:\regfixes .

For readability, the instructions are pasted below rather than quoted. Please follow the instructions very carefully.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Right mouse click on the Ad-Watch icon in the system tray and select "Ad-Watch Settings". At the bottom of the Ad-Watch window make sure automatic is not checked i.e. it is a red cross.

First you will need to restore the .exe file association. In Notepad create a new file and enter all the text the the code box below:

' VBScript to restore .exe file association with Windows XP 
Option Explicit

Dim strComputer
Dim objRegistry,objDictionary

strComputer = "."
Set objRegistry=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" &_ 
strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")

Set objDictionary = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
objDictionary.Add "HKCR",&h80000000

Call RegAddString( "HKCR", ".exe", "", "exefile")
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", ".exe", "Content Type",_
 "application/x-msdownload" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", ".exe\PersistentHandler", "",_
 "{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile", "", "Application" )
Call RegAddBinary( "HKCR", "exefile", "EditFlags", "38,07,00,00" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile", "TileInfo",_
 "prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile", "InfoTip",_
 "prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion;Create;Size" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\DefaultIcon", "", "%1" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\shell", "", "" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\shell\open", "", "" )
Call RegAddBinary( "HKCR", "exefile\shell\open",_
 "EditFlags", "00,00,00,00" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\shell\open\command", "",_
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\shell\runas", "", "" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\shell\runas\command", "",_
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\shellex", "", "" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\shellex\DropHandler",_
 "", "{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers", "", "" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PifProps",_
"", "{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}" )
Call RegAddString( "HKCR", "exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\ShimLayer Property Page",_
"", "{513D916F-2A8E-4F51-AEAB-0CBC76FB1AF8}" )

Function RegKeyExists(rootkey, keypath)
Dim arrValueNames, arrValueTypes
If objRegistry.EnumValues(objDictionary(rootkey), keypath, arrValueNames, arrValueTypes) = 0 Then
 RegKeyExists = True
Else
 RegKeyExists = False
End If	
End Function

Sub RegAddKey(rootkey, keypath)
objRegistry.CreateKey objDictionary(rootkey),keypath
End Sub

Sub RegAddString(rootkey, keypath, valuename, valuedata)
If Not RegKeyExists(rootkey, keypath) Then
 Call RegAddKey( rootkey, keypath )
End If
objRegistry.SetStringValue objDictionary(rootkey),keypath,valuename,valuedata
End Sub

Sub RegAddBinary(rootkey, keypath, valuename, valuearray)
Dim arrValue(),arrHexValue,i,HexVal

arrHexValue = Split(Trim(valuearray),",")
	i=0
	For Each HexVal in arrHexValue
	Redim Preserve arrValue(i)
	arrValue(i) = "&h" & HexVal
  i=i + 1
	Next
	objRegistry.SetBinaryValue objDictionary(rootKey),keypath,valuename,arrValue
	Redim arrValue(0)
End Sub

In Notepad, select file, select save, under "save in" use the pull down menu and select c:\regfixes and for file name enter xp_exe_fix.vbs and under "Save as type" use the pull down menu and select "All files".

Navigate to c:\regfixes and right mouse click on xp_exe_fix.vbs and select open. This will run the script and restore the registry keys associated with the exe file type. If you are running Ad-Watch if it pops an alert whilst this script is running you will need to accept the update to the registry.

Now the .exe file association is restored you will be able to run regedit.exe.

Work through the file association fixes that you downloaded above from Doug Knox's site.

Press start, select run and enter the text in bold below

cmd

Click OK, this will open a command window

at the prompt in the command window enter the text in bold (please note the spaces in the command text)

regedit /s c:\regfixes\xp_com_fix.reg

adjust the path as appropriate to where you unzipped the reg files to

repeat the regedit command for the other reg files you have e.g.

xp_regfile.reg

linkfile_fix.reg

With Ad-Watch it is vital you accept any changes that may be alerted by Ad-Watch when merging these files.

i cant open wordpad a cnt do anything apart from open mozzila firefox a cnt install anything not a single thing beacause the install package is corrupted as in the file is a .exe .Lnk file and nothin works and when i download sumfing it says the same "the file is corrupted" browse internet for the file or open it with one ov my programs plz try and help

Hi

We should be able to fix your PC but it is tricky when the file associations have been corrupted. I am not 100% sure if you can download the file but not run it or if it is the download that gives the "cannot open file" error. Could you confirm if the file downloads OK please.

There is one more approach to try before we manually edit the registry key back to the correct setting. If you have system restore running (it is on by default in XP) please try the following to restore to a date before you had this issue.

You will first need to boot into Safe Mode with a command prompt and then run the system restore from the command line.

Full instructions on how to run the command and a link on how to boot into Safe Mode with a command prompt can be found in this Microsoft article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;en-us;304449#4

Pick a date to restore to before you first had this issue. If this fails we will try another method but it is a bit more tricky so hopefully system restore will work.

No user data will be lost doing such a restore.

that dident chang a thing i did a safe mode with command prompt and i typed in %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and restored it to an earlier time and it is the same i click on sumthing and it says "cannot open file" plz can u help me

That's great news, LT.KoopaTroopa. Party time!!!

Now that you're back to normal, please realize that with the Ad-Watch setting to "lock executable file associations", you don't want Ad-Watch on automatic. Rather, when you install or update software, Ad-Watch will prompt you if there is a change to the file extensions. Because you are making a change, you would accept the change. On the other hand, if you are surfing the web and Ad-Watch suddenly pops up with a prompt to accept such a change, you can block the change and investigate further as to what has surreptiously installed on your computer.

That's great news, LT.KoopaTroopa. Party time!!!

Now that you're back to normal, please realize that with the Ad-Watch setting to "lock executable file associations", you don't want Ad-Watch on automatic. Rather, when you install or update software, Ad-Watch will prompt you if there is a change to the file extensions. Because you are making a change, you would accept the change. On the other hand, if you are surfing the web and Ad-Watch suddenly pops up with a prompt to accept such a change, you can block the change and investigate further as to what has surreptiously installed on your computer.

thank you so much for your help your the best thank you

You are very welcome.

Believe me, I'm just relieved that I had saved a copy of the fix and that it solved your problem.

Regards,

Corrine

Sign in to follow this