Sign in to follow this  
MFormica

Auto Update Server Down?

Hurray! After feeling lost without my Ad-Aware, I did as instructed (uninstalled/redownloaded/updated) and everything seems to be working well. I appreciate the efforts of the Lavasoft team in solving the update error issue, since the suggestions from Earthlink did me no good at all. They certainly used this problem to try and sell Norton to anyone who entered their support area. Thank you for my Ad-AwareSE Personal.

Hello all,

Many thanks for your patience and apologies for any inconveniences!

The problems with ISP/Error Retrieving Update issues has now been fixed. :)

Please see the pinned post by LS Digger Barnes here:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=8253

Thanks for the BYPASS. As it turns out, I did the steps listed, and now I can update. I am on Earthlink.

There was no mention that this would destroy settings that take hours of running and tweaking to get back, of course,

and so far, I remember having 2 things in my ignore list, and now I need 8? Have to do many scans to check settings!

As usual, PC support people do not consider the number of people that they put to a lot of trouble,

or lost settings, etc. - just slam it in.

BE SURE TO CHECK ALL SETTINGS AND TWEAKS BEFORE UNINSTALL. YOU WILL HAVE TO PUT THEM BACK !

Let the user beware! Thanks anyway. My total COMPLETELY LOST TIME ON THIS ISSUE IS 3 hours or more,

and counting. This problem caused major damages to your users ! You never even told us you were working

on a fix, until you put it out, either. Same as last problem I had with Lavasoft. The support people had no idea

what was going on in their company, and just flipped out whatever they could think of. Then somebody owned up.

Unfortunately, after using the new miracle fix, I get "error connecting to server. Please try again later".

What's the deal with Lavasoft that this is happening? It's been going on for weeks now.

The new fix just seems to be some sort of patch that doesn't work on some computers.

Any suggestions one how to get Ad Aware going again so it will download updates???

I just found out that the Ad Aware icon in the quick launch toolbar launches Windows Media Player 11. Had to delete the quick launck icon and add another one. Very strange stuff going on with this new "fix".

Edited by Mike Hull

Unfortunately, after using the new miracle fix, I get "error connecting to server. Please try again later".

What's the deal with Lavasoft that this is happening? It's been going on for weeks now.

The new fix just seems to be some sort of patch that doesn't work on some computers.

Any suggestions one how to get Ad Aware going again so it will download updates???

Did you use the link to dowload that they included? I went to my start/programs and ran the uninstall there,

then I powered down, came back up, installed using the one from the link that they included, then powered

down, then came back up and it works every time. I still set to NODNS in my settings, which was standard for

Earthlink. Did you put your DNS back - I did. It looks like that they have updated the link in their prrogram

code that their product uses to get to the updates, and supplied us with the updated copy, like I suggested.

This would bypass the old, dead DNS entries (I am guessing).

If your version is not the one from the link he provided, the ones on the website might not be updated yet?

As far as settings, I was able to go back to a backup HD that I keep 2 of, and look at those logs to match

up with my old settings that I was happy with. This was a bad problem in terms of discomfort, and I hope

everybody gets their settings put back. I am sure we were also worried about being hit with

malware while our shield was down. Good Luck, and Best Wishes!

By the way, I saved the one fromm his link to my desktop, and clicked on it from there. Don't know why it would

matter, but that is what I did. By the way, I never bothered the old shortcuts, and they stayed after the uninstall,

pointing at the missing folders, and when I installed, they work ok now. If Systemworks or other registry software

were executed when the folders were gone, it could have re-pointed shortcuts to the wrong place?

Good Luck, again!

Edited by lav101

I did all the things you list except restart between every step. One other thing is, I have no idea what NODNS is.

I had to go back to Earthling to get the correct DNS numbers after using all the ones in this forum that didn't work.

That was another waste of time as theirs don't work either. Honestly, these so called techs from Earthlink are in East India/pakistan and really don't understand the problem. They were unaware of the Earthlink blog page shown in this thread earlier as well as the Earthlink notification of DNS problems.

I haven't the slightest idea what to do now. I do feel this is a Lavasoft problem from the beginning and they have not fixed it properly. It may work for some, but not all.

Do we have to remove registry keys when we remove Ad Aware?

Edited by Mike Hull

QUOTE(mattmusi64l @ Apr 3 2007, 05:06 PM)

I am using Windows XP and Earthlink (New York City) and just now was finally able to update!

Thank you!!!!

I know I don't speak for every user but I hope others still suffering can update soon.

Me too! I'm on Earthlink (Memphis, TN) and tonight I got No update components available, because I updated manually. But no errors.

Thank you! :)

(P.S. But I'm still not getting email notifications being subscribed to this topic)

Ummm, I think I spoke too soon. Its really funny that last night it worked, now tonight it don't, I'm getting the "error retrieving update" again. Why did it connect ok last night, but not tonight?

I have not used CJ's link for the "fix" yet. I see some are having problems with that too, so I will wait. We have "patch Tuesday", now "patch Wednesday". :wacko:

I did all the things you list except restart between every step. One other thing is, I have no idea what NODNS is.

I had to go back to Earthling to get the correct DNS numbers after using all the ones in this forum that didn't work.

That was another waste of time as theirs don't work either. Honestly, these so called techs from Earthlink are in East India/pakistan and really don't understand the problem. They were unaware of the Earthlink blog page shown in this thread earlier as well as the Earthlink notification of DNS problems.

I haven't the slightest idea what to do now. I do feel this is a Lavasoft problem from the beginning and they have not fixed it properly. It may work for some, but not all.

Do we have to remove registry keys when we remove Ad Aware?

I used his link and saved it to my desktop first.

Also, I am WIN ME, and it has Disable DNS in the network setting. I was never able to get the bypass DNS to work.

I always power down to make sure all adapters are reset. I suggest at least a restart to make sure the registry

entries are gone. It don't hurt. I debugged mainframe operating systems for 35+ years.

I don't risk any steps I can control to make sure of things. People asked me why I did things to make things work,

and I say, it is an art, not a science. I try to cover all possibilities. Why have to cry later when a step was skipped?

My update is still working. Maybe the one you are running is another copy without the fix?

Mine now goes after download.lavasoft.de

See if that is what you are going after? By the way, I am using plain IE. Not earthlink or other copy.

I clear cookies, temp, and content online and offline via internet options regularly. Maybe I did that too.

Let me know what happens.

Edited by lav101

For the people that can't get the new updated version of AdAware to update correctly, make you sure downloaded it from the links given in the thread that CalamityJane points to. Download.com and our other distributors has not had the time to update the files on their respective downloadsites yet.

I'm of couse talking about this thread: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=8253

For the people that can't get the new updated version of AdAware to update correctly, make you sure downloaded it from the links given in the thread that CalamityJane points to. Download.com and our other distributors has not had the time to update the files on their respective downloadsites yet.

I'm of couse talking about this thread: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=8253

This is really unbelievable. First Digger Barnes puts up a so called fix on a locked thread that goes straight to lavasoft, not through a download site, now you say we have to use a link to download.com by Calamity Jane, and only download it there.

Lav101 is saying all kinds of things have to be done to the computer to facilitate this, and I'm not a computer technician and have no idea what he's talking about. Got too many cooks in the kitchen.

It seems the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing at all.

This is a lavasoft problem and demands a fix from them. Nobody should ever have to go into the registry and change it.

Unless a person knows exactly what they are doing, the chances of a terminal crash of the computer is very likely. Not a risk I want to take, nor is it one that should be asked of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of people unless they wish to stand behind the expenses of all the computer repairs.

I got rid of the bogus DNS numbers from this forum yesterday and got the correct ones from Earthlink.

Maybe one day the program will work again?!?!?!?!

Edited by Mike Hull

No no no, I said that you should use the link that the thread refers to. The files at download.com etc hasn't been updated yet, that's what I meant.

No no no, I said that you should use the link that the thread refers to. The files at download.com etc hasn't been updated yet, that's what I meant.

That's where I got the last download from. It still doesn't work any different than before. I get, "Error connecting to server, try your update again later" or something close to that.

Incidentally, my Earthlink DNS numbers are, primary 207.69.188.185, secondary, 207.69.188.186, given to me by Earthlink. Maybe Lavasoft can get something to work with those numbers?!?!?!?!?!

I misread your post! My apologies!

Edited by Mike Hull

That's where I got the last download from. It still doesn't work any different than before. I get, "Error connecting to server, try your update again later" or something close to that.

Incidentally, my Earthlink DNS numbers are, primary 207.69.188.185, secondary, 207.69.188.186, given to me by Earthlink. Maybe Lavasoft can get something to work with those numbers?!?!?!?!?!

Did you download the latest AAW package on download.lavasoft.com?

Do you still experience any problem or has the problem been solved now for you?

LS Chris

Did you download the latest AAW package on download.lavasoft.com?

Do you still experience any problem or has the problem been solved now for you?

LS Chris

What is the URL?

hay mr mike hull

..a quick observation (( as i do NOTT want insult you ...by stating the obvious ))

but ?? you do KNOW ...that the primary & secondary # 's you listed above are the wrong ones (( as IN they DO NOTT work ........w/ ad-aware ))

..have you ?? tried these # 's ?? ?? (( they are different )) as they work for ME (( & i just tried your OLD #'s listed above & they do NOTT work for me .......im ON earth-link ))

so-called earth-links "OPT-OUTT " dns servers

207.69.188.171 (west coast)

207.69.188.172 (east coast)

If you're west of the Mississippi, use the west coast DNS server as your primary and the east coast as secondary. And vice-versa for those of you in the eastern U.S.

This is a self-service solution, and it creates a mechanism for those users who choose to opt out to do so. These servers have been set aside to resolve problems you may be having, but this isn't something that you'll be able to get customer support help with."

-Ken Womack

Senior Product Manager, Search

http://kb.earthlink.net/case.asp?article=187117

.....you might NEED to re-start your machine for the settings to reset

post back & lett us know ......

dave

hay mr mike hull

..a quick observation (( as i do NOTT want insult you ...by stating the obvious ))

but ?? you do KNOW ...that the primary & secondary # 's you listed above are the wrong ones (( as IN they DO NOTT work ........w/ ad-aware ))

..have you ?? tried these # 's ?? ?? (( they are different )) as they work for ME (( & i just tried your OLD #'s listed above & they do NOTT work for me .......im ON earth-link ))

so-called earth-links "OPT-OUTT " dns servers

207.69.188.171 (west coast)

207.69.188.172 (east coast)

If you're west of the Mississippi, use the west coast DNS server as your primary and the east coast as secondary. And vice-versa for those of you in the eastern U.S.

This is a self-service solution, and it creates a mechanism for those users who choose to opt out to do so. These servers have been set aside to resolve problems you may be having, but this isn't something that you'll be able to get customer support help with."

-Ken Womack

Senior Product Manager, Search

http://kb.earthlink.net/case.asp?article=187117

.....you might NEED to re-start your machine for the settings to reset

post back & lett us know ......

dave

Those are the opt-out DNS (no special not found page), and are no longer required for AD-AWARE

after the LAVASOFT fixes came out yesterday (read previous posts).

I could never get the OPT-OUT's to work anyway, but I fear that those DNS could go away when

Earthlink Headquarters finds out about them. I spoke to Earthlink HQ several days ago, and they

said that unless they are sued, and forced, they will not remove their intercept page.

The OPT-OUT was a special fix by their tech people to get around other user problems, and now

it has been broadcast here and by OPENDNS. I use WIN ME with DNS settings NODNS.

Try setting AUTOMATIC or NONE if you have something like that or blank it out. You should not even

have to specify a DNS for Earthlink, I don't. I changed mine back to NODNS, and am using the new

AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL I got from the link they put in a previous post, and my updates started

working fine, and still do.

Uh,do you have a router that needs resetting? I don't have any.

I got the new software frrom here...

http://download.lavasoft.com/personal/aawsepersonal.exe

saved it to my desktop, went to start, programs, Lavasoft, did Uninstall,

powered off which causes full restart on my system (hope you aren't

just doing a standby or hiberate), clicked the desktop icon created by the download,

it installed, I powered down and full booted again, and voila! It works.

I still think your copy must not be the right one, but who knows? I had saved the

link that I used in a text file, and used it from the text file to download my copy,

in case I was asked later.

I cut and pasted it above. That link worked for me. Good luck!

Actually, never mind luck - It is Good Friday. Be Blessed!

May our prayers for this to be over be answered! AMEN!

Edited by lav101

The DNS#'s ending in 171-172 were tried quite some time ago and don't work at all for me. The numbers I just recently put up are direct from Earthlink. Of course, they don't work either.

I got the download from the same URL that was put up the other day and above, and it still does not work. I get the same "error connecting to server, try downloading updates later, or something close to that.

Like I said before, I've tried every fix in the multiple pages of this thread, as well as all the links to other threads contained in this thread. None have worked at all. I might as well have done nothing at all and saved all that time and effort, as the Ad Aware program does the exact same thing now as it was doing around the 21st of March, or so, to the present. No updates.

I know I'm not unique. If I have this problem, many thousands do also. For every person you see posting on this board, at least a thousand others have the problem and remain silent and just use another anti spyware program. It's what I have to do. I just preferred Ad Aware as it was slightly faster.

People should not have to modify their computers to run Ad Aware. They need to make their program run on peoples computers like other companies do.

Edited by Mike Hull

I have had the 5% error problem for some time, using OPENDNS (free and highly recommended)... yesterday, after uninstalling ad-Aware SE and downloading and installing the new installer, it FIXED the 5% error problem.

Before anyone jumps on this, remind yourself that I am NOT using Earthlink!

The DNS#'s ending in 171-172 were tried quite some time ago and don't work at all for me. The numbers I just recently put up are direct from Earthlink. Of course, they don't work either.

I got the download from the same URL that was put up the other day and above, and it still does not work. I get the same "error connecting to server, try downloading updates later, or something close to that.

Like I said before, I've tried every fix in the multiple pages of this thread, as well as all the links to other threads contained in this thread. None have worked at all. I might as well have done nothing at all and saved all that time and effort, as the Ad Aware program does the exact same thing now as it was doing around the 21st of March, or so, to the present. No updates.

I know I'm not unique. If I have this problem, many thousands do also. For every person you see posting on this board, at least a thousand others have the problem and remain silent and just use another anti spyware program. It's what I have to do. I just preferred Ad Aware as it was slightly faster.

People should not have to modify their computers to run Ad Aware. They need to make their program run on peoples computers like other companies do.

Sorry if I am in the way, but are you at 5% when it fails? If not, I am wondering if your firewall is blocking

the new update url they are now using.

And, to try to check the date of the AD-AWARE SE you are actually using...

Right click on the AD-AWARE icon and select PROPERTIES then FIND TARGET, it points to the actual

AD-AWARE the icon points to. Then right click on Ad-Aware.exe and select PROPERTIES. The date on mine is

Thursday, March 29, 2007, 3:38:32 PM. If yours is older, then maybe you are not running with the new one.

By the way, if the download of the new link found a duplicate, you did say REPLACE, right?

I thought I would see if I could help, one more time, hope you don't mind, but if it is nothing we have covered,

there surely must be something else going on here. Maybe they will figure it out. I can't think of anything

else to ask or try. Regards.

Sorry if I am in the way, but are you at 5% when it fails? If not, I am wondering if your firewall is blocking

the new update url they are now using.

And, to try to check the date of the AD-AWARE SE you are actually using...

Right click on the AD-AWARE icon and select PROPERTIES then FIND TARGET, it points to the actual

AD-AWARE the icon points to. Then right click on Ad-Aware.exe and select PROPERTIES. The date on mine is

Thursday, March 29, 2007, 3:38:32 PM. If yours is older, then maybe you are not running with the new one.

By the way, if the download of the new link found a duplicate, you did say REPLACE, right?

I thought I would see if I could help, one more time, hope you don't mind, but if it is nothing we have covered,

there surely must be something else going on here. Maybe they will figure it out. I can't think of anything

else to ask or try. Regards.

There have been no changes to my computer whatsoever, and it had been running great.

The date of the Ad Aware download is April 05, 2007. It's the exact same one I told you and everyone else I got from that single post page put up by Barnes(can't remember his first name)then locked for no comments, with the so called magic fix, and again by you just above. I don't know how many more times I have to repeat this, but it does not work any better than my Ad Aware worked before messing about with all this DNS changes and reinstalls, and in one instance was told to modify my registry(no one should ever tell a customer they have to do that). This is a problem that lies right at the feet of Lavasoft, and to continually take the time of your customers in this fashion and not work on a complete fix is not a good thing and reflects badly on you as a company. Customer service is #1 IMO, and many of us have been getting the run around.

You even suggested that my router needs resetting above. I called the router company tech support and they got a good laugh at that one. Nothing is wrong with my router.

I am NOT at 5% when the download fails. For about the 20th time, I don't even get that far. I get a popup that states, ERROR CONNECTING TO SERVER, TRY UPDATING AT ANOTHER TIME, or something close to that. That's all I've ever gotten no matter how many times I delete and reinstall your program, and no matter what URL is used. Nothing changes, I get the same error message that will not even connect to the update server.

Like DeBosco said above, the admins claim the problem is fixed, it's not!

There have been no changes to my computer whatsoever, and it had been running great.

The date of the Ad Aware download is April 05, 2007. It's the exact same one I told you and everyone else I got from that single post page put up by Barnes(can't remember his first name)then locked for no comments, with the so called magic fix, and again by you just above. I don't know how many more times I have to repeat this, but it does not work any better than my Ad Aware worked before messing about with all this DNS changes and reinstalls, and in one instance was told to modify my registry(no one should ever tell a customer they have to do that). This is a problem that lies right at the feet of Lavasoft, and to continually take the time of your customers in this fashion and not work on a complete fix is not a good thing and reflects badly on you as a company. Customer service is #1 IMO, and many of us have been getting the run around.

You even suggested that my router needs resetting above. I called the router company tech support and they got a good laugh at that one. Nothing is wrong with my router.

I am NOT at 5% when the download fails. For about the 20th time, I don't even get that far. I get a popup that states, ERROR CONNECTING TO SERVER, TRY UPDATING AT ANOTHER TIME, or something close to that. That's all I've ever gotten no matter how many times I delete and reinstall your program, and no matter what URL is used. Nothing changes, I get the same error message that will not even connect to the update server.

Like DeBosco said above, the admins claim the problem is fixed, it's not!

By the way, I am not with Lavasoft. Nor am I certified, but I may be certifiable.

I'm just some do gooder trying to help. They don't seem to be up to it.

I don't remember that you said that there is a pop-up before. As far as I know, this thread (or whatever it

is called) is for a problem to do with the link that Ad-Aware was using, having dead entries in the

global list of servere pointers (DNS - means Domain Name Server, or maybe System). They seem to

have updated the name in the new updated version, to use another name.

Try this - Open a browser and put this in the Address field - not in a search field...

download.lavasoft.de

When I hit enter with that in the address bar, it comes back with - It's Alive!

Does yours?

I am wondering if you have a pop-up blocker or other software that is causing you to not connect, and

it just happened to be in the right time frame. Bad luck, but things like that do happen.

Also, there are other threads that are about other update problems not related to the bad DNS situation.

By the way, if you go back to the main thread area, there is a thread about update problems back in 2006,

and it tells that some adware attempts to stop Ad-Aware, and how to delete the entries.

Also, did you go throught the steps of right click, properties, find target, properties, and check the date

as I outlined above to come up with the date you mentioned? You did not say how you found the date?

Although my questioning bothers some, I was paid a lot of money by some big companies for a lot of

years to ask seemingly dumb questions, which caused the programmer or Tech Specialist to realize the

answer. Whatever. Good luck again.

By the way - You were running the FREE version before this all started?

If none of this is a bell ringer, I suggest that you go back and start a completely new item that is not

on this thread, and describe exactly what happeend when you try to update. Does the product launch?

Do you click update? What do you see? And I'll stay out of it. Many on this thread are solved,

and the info I gave ionn another thread prompted this annd a similar comment...

lav101....YOUR AN ANGEL!!!!!!! The link you provided worked, I uninstalled again and used your link to reinstall and finally I have my beloved Ad-Aware back complete with current updates.

Many Thanks,

txguest

Of course, I am not an angel, but once I am on your case, it is like minimized background programs in my brain

running to fix your problem. No amount of energy hits a limit. Best Wishes.

Edited by lav101

Ok. The "Fix" worked for me. EarthLink, Dialup(no choice in my area), Ad-Aware free.

I tried to update first. Clicked Check for updates now. Got Retrieving update, showing 5%, then still got the Error retrieving update, prior to downloading update.

I uninstalled using Ad-Aware's uninstall in start menu. I made sure everything was removed--files, folders (did not do anything to registry). Rebooted. Installed the "fix". Rebooted. Updated. And it updated just fine. Rebooted, defragged just for the heck of it, and scanned. It seems to be working just fine now.

Thank you for all your hard work. ;) I sure hated to be without it.

Any suggestions for a new ISP?

BTW, it did update ok, prior to the "fix", on the OpenDNS.

Edited by Judah

If you get the "cannot connect to update-server" error, then it is NOT the same problem that has been affecting alot of users for the past couple of weeks. That issue is now resolved with the newly released version.

Sign in to follow this