Sign in to follow this  
gazzab

Can't See Options In Boxes

Hi guys, not sure if this is my PC or Ad Aware, when doing a definition update or scan, the sub box with options comes up and I cant see the item or tick box to go to the next step, I can't resize it to see the options. Any ideas?

Gazzab

Gazzab, here's a suggestion. Recently I put in a "new" graphics card. One result was that icons and text appeared larger on the screen. This was ok with me; I find that XP tends to make these things too small.

I started having the same problem you describe: when I tried to run a scan with Ad-Aware, the dialog boxes displayed the question but not the buttons that allow one to answer it. I tried reinstalling, downloading afresh and installing--nothing made a difference. This forum provided no help at all, and in the end I regretfully uninstalled Ad-Aware and started to look for a replacement program.

Then I went to print a page with my printer, and found that the printer's dialog box, which takes up just about the whole screen anyhow, was enlarged so that the buttons were overscanned off the screen and completely inaccessible. So I went to Control Panel > Display and adjusted icons etc to a smaller size. Then I downloaded and installed Ad-Aware again, and guess what--the whole dialog box, including buttons, reappeared! So far, so good--it seems to work.

If this is the solution, the problem would seem to lie with Lavasoft's code. The Ad-Aware dialog box is small (unlike the one displayed by my printer); if it has some built-in size limit that forces it to display only the upper half if display options that make it bigger are chosen, Lavasoft should get on this and rewrite so that it can be enlarged and remain whole. Considering the impressive response that you and I have received to our pleas for help, we are unlikely ever to know if that is the problem or if the trouble lies elsewhere. But if you can, go to Display and reduce the size of icons etc and see if that makes Ad-Aware useful once again.

Haiduk

Thanks Haiduk, that is exactly the problem I had, I tried what cured your problem, made no difference, BUT you gave me the answer, both my PC's have very high screen resolutions, 1920 by 1200, to make the font larger I use a 200% setting for font, when I changed that to 96(normal setting) I could see the options in the menu box, so each time I use Ad-aware I just need to temporarily change the font to small. Maybe the Ad-aware software writers could fix this.

Cheers Gazzab

it isn't just ad-aware.. when i tried changing my "DPI" settings to something other than the default 96 DPI, i frequently ran into problems where different things would not display properly..

Sign in to follow this