Sign in to follow this  
izhnannyk

Pseudo Update Dialog Box

I have had Ad-Aware SE Personal for years and years; it's a fine program, and i have never had any problem with it. Until yesterday. I tried to run a scan and got what appeared to be a dialogue box telling me that my definitions were 28 days old and out of date, and asking if I wanted to update now. The problem was that there was no way to respond—no button or link that would enable me to say yes or no. And that phony dialogue box had a “close†button in the upper right-hand corner, but it was greyed out and inoperative. Worse yet, the box sat in the middle of the screen; it could not be moved, and positioned itself in front of any other dialogue boxes so they could not be accessed. The only way to get rid of the blasted thing was to use Task Manager and end task for Ad-Aware.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall Ad-Aware; but when I went to open the .exe file, it obviously thought that it was not a new installation but some kind of fix for a preexisting installation, and I got a dialogue box giving me several choices of that sort. No matter which of these I ran, and the next step I consistently got the message: “Error 1335 - the cabinet file "cabs.w1.cab" is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.†I gave up and went to bed.

I uninstalled and downloaded anew. The Lavasoft site passed me on to C-Net for the download. I got the same message. I tried this, I tried that. Either I could not install (error 1335) or if I could that nasty pseudo-dialogue box reappeared.

This morning I uninstalled everything of Lavasoft and Ad-Aware I could, and deleted the remainder. I tried again to download and could not. This morning I tried again to download and install and got the message “Error 1721—There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.â€

I went to MajorGeeks, a download site I have used before with good results, and got the same Error 1721. But when I went back to Downloads and opened the new download a second time, it came right on and began to update the definitions. I then ran a scan and removed four tracker cookies. Everything seems copacetic again.

OK, I guess the problem is solved this time, but I have never had any problem with Ad-Aware before, and this one cost me several hours of frustration. So can anyone tell me: what was the blasted pseudo dialogue box all about? Why did I get Error 1335 and Error 1721 messages? Why did the download from MajorGeeks work when the one from C-Net did not? What was it all about?

Haiduk

UPDATE: This morning I successfully ran a scan with the Ad-Aware file I had just downloaded from MajorGeeks; no problem. This evening I decided to do another; Ad-Aware found some tracker cookies, no surprise as I had been on the internet for several hours, and I checked them and clicked to delete them. The dialogue box came up: "XX files will be deleted. Continue?" The program was paralyzed until I answered, and once again it was a pseudo dialogue box--there was no way to answer.

This is *TOTALLY INTOLERABLE*; I have relied on Ad-Aware for years, it has been a great help and once located a major problem that several other good programs could not find. But if no one can tell me how to prevent this ridiculous situation of a "dialogue box" that will not permit me to answer but prevents the program from working, I will have to uninstall Ad-Aware and simply go without. Please tell me what to do to stop this nonsense.

Haiduk

Sign in to follow this