Sign in to follow this  
luckysallee

I Never Find Any Spyware From Purchased Version

I run my spyware every night and Ad-awareSE is always the 1st one I run and it only picks up the other spyware. The other spyware that I have picks up on the bad stuff like trojans, worms and all the other bad stuff you can get and I run those 2nd. I would think that Ad-aware SE the purchased version would pick on all of this bad stuff first. Why doesn't it?

Operating system - xp

Adaware SE Plus - build 1.06r1.

I run my spyware every night and Ad-awareSE is always the 1st one I run and it only picks up the other spyware. The other spyware that I have picks up on the bad stuff like trojans, worms and all the other bad stuff you can get and I run those 2nd. I would think that Ad-aware SE the purchased version would pick on all of this bad stuff first. Why doesn't it?

Operating system - xp

Adaware SE Plus - build 1.06r1.

What other spyware do you run ? I have also found this that different spyware will pick up other things .

Also what features does the paid version of Ad-aware have that the free version doesn't ?

Thanks,

What other spyware do you run ? I have also found this that different spyware will pick up other things .

Also what features does the paid version of Ad-aware have that the free version doesn't ?

Thanks,

:) Hi, Mark912/ Hi, luckysallee !

Different AntiSpyPrograms have different filters and every producer has a different kind to evaluate new risks.

So it's your turn to check up which program is the best on your system.

Make an upgrade to AAW2007 , you'll be enthused .

:)

Regards

Raziel

what features does the paid version of Ad-aware have that the free version doesn't ?

Two significant added features are the Ad-Watch module for real time protection and access to the support center for resolving problems. There is no difference in the scanning engine nor definitions.

Ad-awareSE is always the 1st one I run and it only picks up the other spyware.

This may be a clue to the problem. The only other anti-spyware applications that I have seen Ad-Aware detect are those which are either dodgy or outright malicious. As the others have asked, which other anti-spyware are you using.

The other spyware that I have picks up on the bad stuff like trojans, worms and all the other bad stuff you can get and I run those 2nd. I would think that Ad-aware SE the purchased version would pick on all of this bad stuff first. Why doesn't it?

Without knowing the name of the other application it is difficult to answer this. There are three possibilities that come immediately to mind:

1. The other application is detecting the Ad-Aware definition file and reporting the signatures as threats.
  2. The other application is reporting false positives either by accident or intentionally. Some programs deliberately report threats that are not there as an inducement for you to buy the program. I have seen others that do not do a good job of defining threats and may mistakenly report things as threats which are in actuality safety features.
  3. The other application may have threat definitions which detect threats in nonstandard locations or formats. I have a number of archived threat installers which are detected by another app but not by Ad-Aware. These have had the names/file extensions changed and are quite innocuous in their present form so the lack of Ad-Aware detection doesn't seem like a problem to me.

Thanks,

Hi Mark912! Some of us have been "down in the trenches" helping the Project Management and its incredible on and off-site moderators/volunteers during the beta testing of Ad-Aware 2007. The new scan engine is incredible.

Many of the beta testers have a commercial version of Ad-Aware--Plus and Pro were commonly mentioned--and as Oldfrog notes, the Ad-Watch module (not available in the freeware version of Ad-Aware) provides OUTSTANDING real-time protection. I transferred to a commercial version after I spent a VERY long night on a PAID tech support call with a large well-known company's high-level technical gurus who were having me run "black magic juju" programs that were 'way over my head in terms of my understanding of the mechanics of the Windows registry, threads, and their priorities (but take a look at the "View New Posts" to see what some of the Volunteer Security Staff can show you about "HiJackThis" and "Smitfraud"), but SE Personal not only found the malware the paid tech call could not eliminate, but it told me exactly where to find it and how to eliminate it. That sold me--right away!

Ad-Watch takes a little bit of time to get used to--I am not really a techie--but it is fairly intuitive in its operation and requested user input choices. Since I have been running Ad-Watch, all of my computers have been mal/spyware free for MONTHS (which is why I chose to become a beta tester--I used SE Personal for a number of years).

Read the Lavasoft newsletters, look at the product descriptions and new features--and know that the LS staff, its incredible moderators, security volunteers, and a new group of 2007 beta testers, will be here to be of whatever assistance we can be. I know you will find the right version of the 2007 program which will fit both your needs and your budget!

Regards, Jerry

Some additional possibilities which might explain the difference in detections occurred to me after I made my last post:

1. You may have configured Ad-Aware to ignore negligible risk threats while the other product is still detecting them.
  2. This one is a little tougher to explain and understand. I once investigated an aborted malware install which had created the malware files but been unable to connect to the internet to retrieve the content. This resulted in some 6 files on the system which were all empty. Scanning with Ad-Aware and two other excellent antispyware products found the downloader file but none of the empty ones. Scanning with another product found all 6 empty ones. What I found was that the last product defined threat files simply by name and path. Ad-Aware was able to differentiate between a malicious file and an innocuous one with the same name at the same path. It may be that your other product uses very loose definitions which cannot make this distinction.

Thanks,

I also have BPS spyware and adaware remover, which was recommended by a computer shop. He told me, he has the best luck with this one. I also have Xoftspy SE, which he also recommended. He has told me that you need 2-3 spyware and adaware remover to make sure you get everything.

I also have BPS spyware and adaware remover, which was recommended by a computer shop. He told me, he has the best luck with this one.

This product is listed as a "rogue" application at Spyware Warrior Rogue Anti-Spyware List

Note the comments:

false positives work as goad to purchase; company is known adware distributor (1); exploits name SpywareBlaster (1) & SpywareGuard (1); Ad-aware rip-off (1, 2); Spybot S&D rip-off (1, 2, 3); old version was same app as Real AdWareRemoverGold, Spyware Nuker, & TZ Spyware Adware Remover; new version uses "Spyware Cops" or "Spy Striker" front end [A: 6-26-04 / U: 12-19-05]

I suspect that Ad-Aware detects this because it was, at one point, infringing on Lavasoft intellectual property (Ad-aware rip-off). It also seems likely that it is reporting threats that aren't really present (false positives work as goad to purchase). My advice would be to ditch it.

While Xoftspy appears to be legitimate, there were also concerns about false positives in versions prior to 4.0.

Scanning with Ad-Aware and two other excellent antispyware products found the downloader file but none of the empty ones. Scanning with another product found all 6 empty ones. What I found was that the last product defined threat files simply by name and path. Ad-Aware was able to differentiate between a malicious file and an innocuous one with the same name at the same path. It may be that your other product uses very loose definitions which cannot make this distinction.
Hi OF!

Yes, some malware even installs "fake" infected files (most, for instance, are only 2 bytes of nonsense text) - those are generally harmless and not detected by most reputable products that are using signature based detection or CSI. Therefore the "fake" harmless files would not be detected as malicious. I have found that to be true for many Antivirus programs as well.

Sign in to follow this