Sign in to follow this  
flash7

Why Aawservice.exe Takes More Than 20,000k ?

I've noticed that the process aawservice.exe takes more than 20,000K, even though I have Ad-Aware Free and there's no real-time protection (that's more than my NOD32 that does have real-time protection!!).

After I manually terminated the process the program could not start.

The program shouldn't really do anything when it's not open so I don't understand why is it so much.

I've noticed that the process aawservice.exe takes more than 20,000K, even though I have Ad-Aware Free and there's no real-time protection (that's more than my NOD32 that does have real-time protection!!).

After I manually terminated the process the program could not start.

The program shouldn't really do anything when it's not open so I don't understand why is it so much.

My guess is that it's there to make migration to pay versions easier. It's all one program now, and whether free or pay depends on how it's registered and activated.

You can set the service to manual in Control Panel so it won't start automatically when your computer starts. Then if you want to do an on-demand scan, AdAware will load the service before it loads the program. Unfortunately, after you are done scanning and exit the program, the service will still be running. As you point out, it doesn't do anything or provide any protection in the free version as far as I have been able to determine. But you can stop the service in task manager or via a batch file. Specific instruction on how to make a batch file to do this is here

FWIW, on my system the service eats close to 40 MB after a scan.

My guess is that it's there to make migration to pay versions easier. It's all one program now, and whether free or pay depends on how it's registered and activated.

You can set the service to manual in Control Panel so it won't start automatically when your computer starts. Then if you want to do an on-demand scan, AdAware will load the service before it loads the program. Unfortunately, after you are done scanning and exit the program, the service will still be running. As you point out, it doesn't do anything or provide any protection in the free version as far as I have been able to determine. But you can stop the service in task manager or via a batch file. Specific instruction on how to make a batch file to do this is here

FWIW, on my system the service eats close to 40 MB after a scan.

Thanks.

The idea is to click the .bat file (or a shortcut) in order to open the program? clicking the .bat file will start ad-aware or should I click the .bat file and then the ectuall .exe file of ad-aware?

Than it is either bloatware or untrustworthy shareware pretending to be freeware.

You can set the service to manual in Control Panel so it won't start automatically when your computer starts.

Not if you want Ad-Aware to run. It's programming checks if it is able to start when the computer does. If it is disabled, the program won't launch. I tested this.

Then if you want to do an on-demand scan, AdAware will load the service before it loads the program.

Only if the service is able to start with the computer. Ad-Aware has either joined the malware side of the game or the questionable other antispyware programs that I don't use because they pull this same kind of crap. I don't trust Apple when they do this and I definitely don't trust an anti-spyware company that does.

Edited by Cartigan

I changed the service to Manual. Ad-aware starts okay when I want to run it. Then I stop the service. I have not tried setting it to Disabled.

Than it is either bloatware or untrustworthy shareware pretending to be freeware.

Not if you want Ad-Aware to run. It's programming checks if it is able to start when the computer does. If it is disabled, the program won't launch. I tested this.

Only if the service is able to start with the computer.....

As others have pointed out, you have to set the service to "manual." Then it will start when you invoke Adaware. If you set it to "disabled" then you are correct, Adaware will not start.

As others have pointed out, you have to set the service to "manual." Then it will start when you invoke Adaware. If you set it to "disabled" then you are correct, Adaware will not start.

i am hoping that at some point lavasoft will fix this "bug". unless, as other people have said, it is there simply to make the migration to a paid version easier.

i sure hope not!! i've been using adaware for years, and i've always liked the program. this running service in the free version is totally unacceptable.

Edited by philbee

something people seem to be missing is that the memory usage of this process increases with every scan. I watched it go from 21000k on boot to 36000k after 3 scans. The only way I could get it back down to the original 21000k was to either reboot or manually kill the process.

something people seem to be missing is that the memory usage of this process increases with every scan. I watched it go from 21000k on boot to 36000k after 3 scans. The only way I could get it back down to the original 21000k was to either reboot or manually kill the process.

Yes, I noticed that. Only I was up to almost 40000 after only one scan. It seems like a memory leak to me.

I'm glad someone else has noticed that jmorlan, so far you are the first person to comment on it (I have it mentioned in 3 other threads including one I started on a "suspected memory leak")

Sign in to follow this