Sign in to follow this  
tombar

Aw2007 Free Destoyed My Computer

Adware 2007 destroyed my computer yesterday. I installed the Free versio and uninstalled SE Professional, as the programme didn't do it. I ran Free in Smart Scan and it picked up 7 tracking cookies and 1 critical thing in Windows which I removed. Many of the things on my desktop disappeared straght away. On rebooting, the computer would not start and it turned out Boot.ini was missing - I installed this and got back to my partial desktop. Start/program/each program was empty as was System tools and Administrator tools. I could not run my Acronis Trueimage backup program successfully to reinstate my C drive, none of the System Restore points worked. I could not reinstall Windows as it kept getting to a point where I had to click on options and neither the keyboard nor the mouse worked at these points. I spent 12 hours getting it working again, thanks to a NortonSystem works recovery disk and a year old backup.

Adware 2007 destroyed my computer yesterday. I installed the Free versio and uninstalled SE Professional, as the programme didn't do it. I ran Free in Smart Scan and it picked up 7 tracking cookies and 1 critical thing in Windows which I removed. Many of the things on my desktop disappeared straght away. On rebooting, the computer would not start and it turned out Boot.ini was missing - I installed this and got back to my partial desktop. Start/program/each program was empty as was System tools and Administrator tools. I could not run my Acronis Trueimage backup program successfully to reinstate my C drive, none of the System Restore points worked. I could not reinstall Windows as it kept getting to a point where I had to click on options and neither the keyboard nor the mouse worked at these points. I spent 12 hours getting it working again, thanks to a NortonSystem works recovery disk and a year old backup.

Hello tombar: Just wanted you to know that the AAW 2007 beta testers are looking at your post. Will you please let us know by posting a reply which includes whether or not you were using Ad-Watch from SE Pro for real-time protection before you uninstalled it to install Free? Can you navigate to Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/LavaSoft/Logs for uploading a couple of your logs? Please understand that I personally am not an expert at Ad-Aware (although I really have appreciated having SE Pro on my computers), but there are some beta testers who were beta testing long before the 2007 beta went into Public Beta testing release, and they TRULY ARE experts in how AAW 2007 functions. You should find a log with a date and time stamp on it which has a double file type "Ad-Aware [date] [time].log.xml" I believe you can copy this log file (Windows should rename it as "Copy of Ad-Aware [date] [time] log.xml". If you rename the file by delting the ".xml" from the file name, it can be uploaded as a *.log file. This may be helpful in trying to understand what occurred when you had your unhappy experience. While testing both Public Betas 6 and 7, I personally saw no posts from any beta tester who had anything close to an equivalent experience as you just went through--not that this information will make you feel any better about the 12 hours of reconstruction with NSR--but to let you know that we DO care and wish to be of as much assistance to you as is possible.

You may receive other replies from the more experienced volunteer security advisors or LS staff memberswhich request additional uploads of some of the other logs--if so, please follow their requests precisely, step-by-step.

We look forward to your additional posts--thank you for your time! :unsure:

Regards, Jerry

Well, I'm here to tell you, it isn't just "free".

I paid the new subscription, downloaded AdAware and AdWatch 2007.

Since it's all new, not sure what the little red icon blinking was.

What it was was the AdAware 2007 deleting all my operating files.

As in, gone.

ntldr is gone, will not boot, no safe mode (XP Pro).

My desktop icons went, toolbars, and somebody at Lavasoft really needs to get some ideas out here in the field as to what to do.

I am on laptop backup, and not real happy right now.

We are trying to gather as much information as possible about these incidents. If you could provide us with the following information we would be most grateful:

- OS version

- Version of Ad-Aware 2007

- The name of the infection you were trying to remove

- If you are able to retrieve it - any Ad-Aware log(s) you have.

Regards, Tobias

Hello tombar: Just wanted you to know that the AAW 2007 beta testers are looking at your post. Will you please let us know by posting a reply which includes whether or not you were using Ad-Watch from SE Pro for real-time protection before you uninstalled it to install Free? Can you navigate to Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/LavaSoft/Logs for uploading a couple of your logs? Please understand that I personally am not an expert at Ad-Aware (although I really have appreciated having SE Pro on my computers), but there are some beta testers who were beta testing long before the 2007 beta went into Public Beta testing release, and they TRULY ARE experts in how AAW 2007 functions. You should find a log with a date and time stamp on it which has a double file type "Ad-Aware [date] [time].log.xml" I believe you can copy this log file (Windows should rename it as "Copy of Ad-Aware [date] [time] log.xml". If you rename the file by delting the ".xml" from the file name, it can be uploaded as a *.log file. This may be helpful in trying to understand what occurred when you had your unhappy experience. While testing both Public Betas 6 and 7, I personally saw no posts from any beta tester who had anything close to an equivalent experience as you just went through--not that this information will make you feel any better about the 12 hours of reconstruction with NSR--but to let you know that we DO care and wish to be of as much assistance to you as is possible.

You may receive other replies from the more experienced volunteer security advisors or LS staff memberswhich request additional uploads of some of the other logs--if so, please follow their requests precisely, step-by-step.

We look forward to your additional posts--thank you for your time! :)

Regards, Jerry

Jerry,

Haven't checked here for a while. I wan't using the real-time protection in SE Pro for quite some time (I was at one time, but had too many warnings of changes which I also get in Zonealarm). I don't have any logs, as obviously the first thing I did was to uninstall the offending version. I have since re-installed it and have had no problems - it doesn't pick up whatever it was in windows in the Rgistry now

We are trying to gather as much information as possible about these incidents. If you could provide us with the following information we would be most grateful:

- OS version

- Version of Ad-Aware 2007

- The name of the infection you were trying to remove

- If you are able to retrieve it - any Ad-Aware log(s) you have.

Regards, Tobias

Tobias,

WinXP Home; free version of Adaware 2007; something in Windows in the registry (no information available) - have never seen this in previous versions (should have warned me, I suppose); no logs, as i uninstalled- have now re-installed with no problems.

I takes me ages to use this support system!!!

Well, I'm here to tell you, it isn't just "free".

I paid the new subscription, downloaded AdAware and AdWatch 2007.

Since it's all new, not sure what the little red icon blinking was.

What it was was the AdAware 2007 deleting all my operating files.

As in, gone.

ntldr is gone, will not boot, no safe mode (XP Pro).

My desktop icons went, toolbars, and somebody at Lavasoft really needs to get some ideas out here in the field as to what to do.

I am on laptop backup, and not real happy right now.

<br>

And I purchased adware Plus which got converted into a free edition. Now it says that the serial no. is invalid. What the heck is this UNLOCK KEY? How I wish I were the boss of Lavasoft. I would have been a billionare by now. AND what do online petitions mean? Moreover there are no cops in Sweden who can take them[Lavasoft Guys] to task for not refunding my cash.

I know that as this is not USA this post would be deleted.

XP Pro, SP2.

AdAware (purchased) and AdWatch user for many years, quite happily so.

Every file, every log, gone, and trust me, no longer on the computer anywhere.

It destroyed Adobe Acrobat files, would no longer function.

Destroyed ATI Catalyst files, would no longer function.

Destroyed AVG files, no longer functional.Destroyed SpyBot files, would no longer function.

Basically, 10 days later, I have a fresh system with nothing on it as far as data.

What surprises me is that no-one has really responded other than "we're working on it".

The number of destroyed computers is growing every day.

Most folks who may have had a crash probably are not on these forums and attribute the crash to something else.

AdWatch in my SE program does nothing anymore, where it USED to function well.

Nice job, folks.

I have several more programs that I have not yet tried, as they require peripherals to be plugged in to read, and I am afraid they will be toast also.

Too bad about the "rules" on this forum.

I would certainly enjoy telling you what I really think.

yes I had the same grief as you and had to do a restore. I removed 2007 and re installed SE . I can only hope they keep SE going for a long , long time.

yes I had the same grief as you and had to do a restore. I removed 2007 and re installed SE . I can only hope they keep SE going for a long , long time.

Posts like the ones in this thread really have me worried. I was upset over the delays on our upgrades but from reading here I now say take your time LS as I'd much rather have a reliable program vs wrecking my system. Seems with all the issues they should maybe pull or postpone releasing the program and beta it a little more before they give us the upgrade.

anybody know where I can get the old version of AdAware SE free? when I upgraded to AW2007 free, it uninstalled and now willnot work. it gets to contacting Lavasoft and just quietly says: "service error: 6000 has occurred description: lost connection with Ad-Aware Service Terminating gracefully", no workee, no connectee. However have lost the previous excellent free version. cannot find the file for the previous version anywhere.

Posts like the ones in this thread really have me worried. I was upset over the delays on our upgrades but from reading here I now say take your time LS as I'd much rather have a reliable program vs wrecking my system. Seems with all the issues they should maybe pull or postpone releasing the program and beta it a little more before they give us the upgrade.

My wife purchased AdAware 2007 Pro for her computer and cannot get it to connect with Lavasoft for registration or for updates. I will let her know what has been going and let her make a decision to seek a refund or not. looks like AdAware 2007 is not ready for Prime Time, yet. I will try to return to the previous version.

I agree! Lavasoft seemed to have Ad Aware SE all sorted out until the recent Ad Watch disaster (I haven't used Ad Watch since it wiped out all the desktop icons and links.) Their handling of the whole Ad Aware 2007 launch is another disaster, IMO. The product obviously wasn't ready for prime time and is causing major meltdowns of customers' computers. The initial delay in allowing current license holders to upgrade to the 2007 version turns out to be a good thing - it's kept me from installing the 2007 version and possibly losing my computer. At this point I'll continue with SE Plus until the license expires - then that's it for Lavasoft. I'm currently using a combination on Windows Defender, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster and EMSI's a-squared free that all work pretty well to clean the system without shutting it down. Would I like to continue with Lavasoft products? Yes, but I won't take the chance on them damaging my computer and forcing hours of work to get it functional again.

For my part now I use AVG Anti-Spyware, former Ewido.

Lavasoft are finished, I won't be surprised if in 6 months they declare bankruptcy.

Poor of them, they have made THE BIG MISTAKE, yes : THE BIG MISTAKE, the mistake no one could make.

We get what we deserve.

Edited by Martyoplastic

Adware 2007 destroyed my computer yesterday. I installed the Free version and uninstalled SE Professional, as the program didn't do it. I ran Free in Smart Scan and it picked up 7 tracking cookies and 1 critical thing in Windows which I removed. Many of the things on my desktop disappeared straight away. On rebooting, the computer would not start and it turned out Boot.ini was missing - I installed this and got back to my partial desktop. Start/program/each program was empty as was System tools and Administrator tools. I could not run my Acronis Trueimage backup program successfully to reinstate my C drive, none of the System Restore points worked. I could not reinstall Windows as it kept getting to a point where I had to click on options and neither the keyboard nor the mouse worked at these points. I spent 12 hours getting it working again, thanks to a NortonSystem works recovery disk and a year old backup.

Can you remember what critical item you removed? (so other don't remove the same thing...) ;)

Sign in to follow this