Sign in to follow this  
DarqueMist

Ad-aware 2007 Possible Memory Leak

aawservice.exe seems to be causing a lot of concern simply because no one really has any idea what it is doing running in the free version at comp start up as a service even though there is no real time monitoring being done. I've been considering removing Ad-Aware 2007 from my computer because of this (I'm already using spybot and superantispyware and windows defender so should be adequately protected anyway). Now it seems like I've discovered a memory leak associated with aawservice.exe and would love to have someone else confirm it for me ... doing so would guarantee its removal from mt computer.

On windows start up aawservice.exe shows as using 21000k of memory, after 1 scan it shows continous use of 33000k, after 2 scans 34500k and after a fourth it stays at 36000k. It seems to me with every use more memory is being tied up by this service that is "doing nothing" and it remains in use until a system restart is done.

Edited by DarqueMist

aawservice.exe seems to be causing a lot of concern simply because no one really has any idea what it is doing running in the free version at comp start up as a service even though there is no real time monitoring being done. I've been considering removing Ad-Aware 2007 from my computer because of this (I'm already using spybot and superantispyware and windows defender so should be adequately protected anyway). Now it seems like I've discovered a memory leak associated with aawservice.exe and would love to have someone else confirm it for me ... doing so would guarantee its removal from mt computer.

On windows start up aawservice.exe shows as using 21000k of memory, after 1 scan it shows continous use of 33000k, after 2 scans 34500k and after a fourth it stays at 36000k. It seems to me with every use more memory is being tied up by this service that is "doing nothing" and it remains in use until a system restart is done.

I'm running Ad-Aware Plus. I'm happy to write that I'm no longer having that problem.

FYI, however, I can confirm the same findings when I did have the problem. I saw the same multiple scan results w/nearly the very same numbers involved.

The memory use did indeed end only with a restart.

So that's a memory leek, is it? I ask b/c it's not the only program I've had and apparently still have which does that. Must investigate further.

I'm running Ad-Aware Plus. I'm happy to write that I'm no longer having that problem.

FYI, however, I can confirm the same findings when I did have the problem. I saw the same multiple scan results w/nearly the very same numbers involved.

The memory use did indeed end only with a restart.

So that's a memory leek, is it? I ask b/c it's not the only program I've had and apparently still have which does that. Must investigate further.

It would be nice if Lavasoft responded to or addressed the whole massive memory consumption issue, but they seem to just ignore it.

Hi lee88, welcome to the Lavasoft Support Forum. We are very busy answering other problems. We are trying to get to everyone. One of us or the Lavasoft Staff will address your problem.

Hi lee88, welcome to the Lavasoft Support Forum. We are very busy answering other problems. We are trying to get to everyone. One of us or the Lavasoft Staff will address your problem.

Hello,

I bought this product about 3 days ago for my new computer.

I have also noticed a memory leak, out of nowhere Ad-Aware starts using 2.6 Gig's of ram, and my mouse starts skipping really bad. Slows down my computer to a skipping with a AMD 6000+ and 4 gigs of corsair ddr2.

Please help, I have to restart the program 3-4 times a day from this, and can't leave it on at night.

edit : i have the pro version.

Edited by joewunsch

Hi joewunsch,

Please make sure you are using the latest updates. :

On the Main Status screen of Ad-aware, click the "i" button ( top right ).

It should show Version 7.0.1.6

Bye

Michel

Hi joewunsch,

Please make sure you are using the latest updates. :

On the Main Status screen of Ad-aware, click the "i" button ( top right ).

It should show Version 7.0.1.6

Bye

Michel

Hello Michael,

And thanks for the reply, yes I am using the latest version, 7.0.1.6.

Was the memory leak issue supposed to have been corrected already? It happens almost randomly it seems, yesterday it happend twice in 2 hours, but today I have been on my computer for about 5 hours so far working and have not had any problems.

Is it Ad-Aware or Ad-Watch that leaks memory?

Are you running any other security software?

Regards, Tobias

Sign in to follow this