Sign in to follow this  
LS CalamityJane

Rants Go Here

A comparatively minor rant - custom scan is no longer an option in the free version. That sucks. :D

I know <_< :D

Edited by Tom.B

Hello Ad-Aware 2007 users :unsure:

If you have rant, this is the topic to post in. Please do not post new topics in the Support forum as it is getting cluttered with non-support topics which is distracting from those trying to assist other users.

If you are not happy with a feature and wish to rant only and don't need support, you may post in this thread provided you keep your replies reasonably within bounds of our Terms of Service for the Support forums posting rules.

If you DO have a legitimate support question and need assistance, please post a new topic in the forum.

Please note that overly abusive posts will be removed at our discretion.

We'll leave this topic open for your rants.

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding :D

Any existing current rant posts will be merged into this topic

i spent several hours of my time working through problems with the installatioh of ad-aware 2007 only to find that when i was succesful (and may i say very pleased with myself) that it sucks up resources like a black hole, i am needless to say extremely dissappointed with this new and vaunted product and am thinking of dumping it entirely and finding another program from another vendor which will run when i want it to (i must say that when i ran the beta product i did not notice it being such a resource hog) polygon

(Topic Merged - Original Title: Free Version Or Not, For It Not To Find Things That It Should Is Just Not Acceptable, UNINSTALLING AD AWARE 2007, JUST NOT WORTH IT...GOODBYE AAW!!

James333 Today, 01:45 PM)

Is is SO obvious that with all these problems, AAW 2007 was released too early, but what is so bad is that the product team HAD to have known there were still many problems, how could they not?? But yet they chose to release it and cause distress to all those who were dumb enough to trust that it was a "final" version and download it. Just not worth the aggravation, especially when, after a week, scans don't find something as evident as tracking cookies! At least not for me. Could be months until/if they fix all the bugs and in the meantime, my computer is "infected." Ad Aware will always leave a bad taste in my mouth now and I will steer anyone away from it! See ya!!!!

Edited by spike-nz
All Rants to go in this Thread

A comparatively minor rant - custom scan is no longer an option in the free version. That sucks. :(

slightly annoying i agree but there are enough options in full scan (via settings) to make up for it.

polygon :D

slightly annoying i agree but there are enough options in full scan (via settings) to make up for it.

polygon :(

In a word - rubbish.

I have two large drives full of mp3s and nothing else, which I do NOT need scanned. Show me that option in settings.

In a word - rubbish.

I have two large drives full of mp3s and nothing else, which I do NOT need scanned. Show me that option in settings.

i can only assume that you do not wish to scan your mp3 files because of the time the scan itself takes, if that is the case smart scan is probably the best option for you, polygon :(

From what I hear, a new version will be released later on this month. The Lavasoft Team knows of and is working on all of these bugs. Just hang in there. Everything will start to turn around soon.

Hi RN_1604

My ad-watch 2007 keeps using up 90+% of the cpu! Are yours doing so too?

This is a known issue, and the Lavasoft Team is working on lightening the CPU usage.

If you have any other questions please ask.

Edited by SpySentinel

Hi RN_1604

This is a known issue, and the Lavasoft Team is working on lightening the CPU usage.

If you have any other questions please ask.

I am curious as to why the beta testers did not report or ensure these glitches were dealt with before 2007 was released.

I am curious as to why the beta testers did not report or ensure these glitches were dealt with before 2007 was released.

That’s an easy question to answer think most off the Beta testers were under the impression,

They were going to get a fee license for the new version of the product ..

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...amp;#entry43245

I got the official answer - this was rumored before and no, there were not any product keys promised for Beta testers, however, lot of thank yous and the satisfaction of helping put together a terrific program were many of the reasons beta testers chose to participate. We had something like 335,000 folks sign up for Beta Testing.

They were nothing more than lab I rats think:

flying-lesson.gif

I was wondering if those of us who tested the Ad-Aware 2007 beta will get a key for Plus/Pro?

I signed up for the beta as I run a tech support website and recommend Ad-Aware to my members, and find a key very beneficial to help explain to members the benefits of purchasing Ad-Aware.I also have a few friends who beta tested and they've said that we'll get a free key for Pro as a thank you for beta testing. Is this true?

By participating in the Lavasoft Detection Database Beta Program, I understand and agree to the following: I understand that this is a beta program. I understand that a beta version of the Detection Database is a program that is still in development and is published solely for testing purposes. I understand that the beta program is licensed "as is". Lavasoft AB makes no, and hereby expressly disclaims all, warranties, express, implied, statutory, or otherwise with respect to the software, including non-infringement and the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. I agree that Lavasoft AB shall not be liable for any damages to me or any other party in connection with this beta program, whether arising out of contract or from tort, including loss of data, profits or business or other special, incidental, exemplary or consequential damages, even if Lavasoft AB has been advised of the possibility of such loss or damages. Lavasoft AB's cumulative liability in connection with this beta program shall not exceed the license fee paid, if any, for use of this software/Detection Database and documentation. This section shall survive termination of this License.

_-_ -:0 :unsure:

Edited by _-_ -:0

We did report any issues we had. The Lavasoft Team was working on aawservice.exe at the time as well.

That’s an easy question to answer think most off the Beta testers were under the impression,

They were going to get a fee license for the new version of the product ..

This is not true. We spent our time working hard on the beta. Everyone of us worked hard and we did it because we wanted to see a great product, not for a free license.

Well, I still have my Ad-Aware SE Proffessional version intact *Thank god*...and I have a little something...

Signed up for beta, didn't work with Vista...

Downloaded program, *Free version to try out*, extreme resource hog, even while not scanning, and there's no Ad-Watch in the free version, so I could only imagine IF Ad-Watch activated...

Scanning froze up a few times, found nothing...

I also checked definitions, it only contained like 60,000 at the time I tried and updated it, but Ad-Aware SE had over 100,000, *Doesn't get it*

I've then come to relize, this program is nothing but Ad-Aware with Flash *Which, still being Ad-Aware is a good thing*, that sucks resources...

What are the changes?I've compared both and failed to find a difference, all it looks like to me is a new skin?what improvements have been made?Please someone let me know...

I still love you guys though, I think though, if you re-released the older versions as an option for users, it would REALLY cut back on the anger and loss of fans, because, as reading some of the issues these people had, if I never previously owned one of your products, I would never come back here...

Anyone who wants Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition...

http://www.download.com/3405-8022-5153545.html

Well, I still have my Ad-Aware SE Proffessional version intact *Thank god*...and I have a little something...

Signed up for beta, didn't work with Vista...

Downloaded program, *Free version to try out*, extreme resource hog, even while not scanning, and there's no Ad-Watch in the free version, so I could only imagine IF Ad-Watch activated...

Scanning froze up a few times, found nothing...

I also checked definitions, it only contained like 60,000 at the time I tried and updated it, but Ad-Aware SE had over 100,000, *Doesn't get it*

I've then come to relize, this program is nothing but Ad-Aware with Flash *Which, still being Ad-Aware is a good thing*, that sucks resources...

What are the changes?I've compared both and failed to find a difference, all it looks like to me is a new skin?what improvements have been made?Please someone let me know...

I still love you guys though, I think though, if you re-released the older versions as an option for users, it would REALLY cut back on the anger and loss of fans, because, as reading some of the issues these people had, if I never previously owned one of your products, I would never come back here...

Anyone who wants Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition...

http://www.download.com/3405-8022-5153545.html

I would like to get the old SE version back, but I thought they weren't updating the definition files for it anymore. (?).

They will keep updating till such time that AAW 2007 is compatible with Vista. I believe this will be some time later this year.

As for those who blasted the beta testors, let me tell you that many of us told Lavasoft in no uncertain terms that Ad-Aware 2007 was not ready for release. We tried to get them to put out, at least, one more beta version and forget the 7 June release date.

A few more beta versions would have resulted in a much cleaner product. I don't plan to beta test anymore programs in the future. Announced release dates seem to be more important that a good, clean product.

bigkeith

:angry: :angry:

(EDIT:Originally posted under Topic Name: Check Out Under 'rants' What One Of The Beta Testers Has To Say!, says a lot about Lavasoft...)

After AAW still not doing its job (it found nothing after a week), I have since moved on to another product and ridded myself of a lot of frustration. I found the post by Keith, under "Rants," to be very telling... A quality product is evidently not Lavasoft's number one priority.

My Bug List.

I don't know if this is the right thread to report bugs - LSoft do not seem interested in setting up an official bug report area - so here goes.

It seems from the large number of reports on this board that there are several bugs, or inadequacies / omissions, in AW2007.

It does seem to have been a big risk by LSoft to release a product which is so "flaky" (like no Save facility for changes to Adwatch options like Start Minimised, Load on Startup, etc) - it might have been better to come clean and delay the launch rather than risk annoying, and maybe losing, so many loyal customers.

And AW2007 is not Vista ready ?? Come On !

By the way, don't even get me started on the stupidly awkward registration process, and the fact that LSoft emailed existing AW6SE paying customers and offered the upgrade for $16.50 - then charges GBP18.50 ($36) for the download. I would have paid $36 if they had asked, but being quoted one price and actually being charged double leaves me feeling very unhappy.

I am adding my buglist in the hope that someone at LSoft reads this board and that if many people report similar problems, then those problems will be added to a LSoft To Do list.

I apologise in advance if there aren't enough technical details in the bug reports below - I am just a normal PC user, rather than a techie whiz. But hopefully if enough people report the same things, then LSoft can get a handle on it. If it matters, I use XP (with all latest updates from Microsoft), Norton AV2007, AOL, and downloaded LSoft AW2007 Plus.

BUG 1.

When I try to shutdown Windows, I get a stupid dialog box asking if I want to shutdown AW2007. Well, if the PC shuts down I can't see how AW2007 can keep running anyway !

BUT, things get much, much worse. If one is stupid enough to click NO in repsonse to shutting down AW2007 then the Windows shutdown procedure stops.

OK, reasonable enough you may think, I'll just hit Start, Shutdown again and this time click YES to the Close AW2007 prompt. A Very Bad Move !, the Windows shutdown procedure now crashes and I got a screen full of DOS text telling me that Windows had a "Serious Problem" - the keyboard and mouse no longer responded and the only way to turn off the PC was to turn off the power. On Restart, Windows reported that it had recovered from the problem and the PC seems normal.

Whew !! Having been bitten by the lnk / exe registry trashing problem problem in AW6SE in the past I had been really panicking.

Can we remove this stupid
and redundant
shutdown dialog, please ? Or at least have it optional.

BUG 2.

There is no Save facility for changes to settings in AW2007 (like Load on Startup, Load Minimised, etc).

A very basic omission, surely ?

BUG 3.

When I first installed AW2007 and did scans, it reported 1 major threat in registry, and several minor ones. I hit remove and all seeemed fine. But then after a re-boot, the major threat in registry returns. I was dumb enough not to write down the details of the report at the time - so to make this post I looked in the Log files - AW2007 doesn't record details of the problems so I can't give any more help here. Perhaps someone else has the same problam and was smart enough to write it all down.

Interestingly, after I downloaded the latest AW2007 updates, it no longer reports this same Registry threat - I don't know if that means it has been fixed, or whether the reporting has just been tweaked to hide the problem.

BUG 4.

The Web Update gave me a whole list of updates required to AW2007. So I hit Download to get them all. But Web Update only downloads two or three updates at a time, then reports that you now have the current version of AW2007 - when there are clearly several more updates still waiting fot download. Need to hit Web Update again to get two or three more, then again, etc, until no more are showing on the list.

Bizarre !!

BUG 5.

Don't know if this is a bug or not, but it is worrying !

AW6SE used to spot all kinds of tracking cookies incoming - including ones that AOL Antispyware and Norton AV2007 didn't report. But AW2007 doesn't report them - now AOL spyware picks them up. Does that mean AW2007 gives less protection than AW6SE was ?

Worrying because it leaves me with no way of knowing whther AW2007 is actually working and blocking incoming cookies.

BUG 6.

Lots of reports on here about AAWService.exe hogging processor power and/or memory. I am just a PC user, rather than a techie. Can some kind soul explain this and explain what to look for ? Sort of a " AAWService for Dummies" reply ?

My PC does seem OK, but again these reports are a worry.

BUG 7.

AW2007 doesn't seem to spot any incoming tracking cookies, but does report loads and loads of registry changes - mostly seeming to be when one starts AOL or similar. AW6SE never used to report these.

Most of these registry accesses seem harmless, and perhaps normal PC operation. Is there any way to ignore some registry accesses ? I know I can turn off Registry monitoring altogether, but then it seems a bit pointless having AW2007 anyway !

Lastly, not a bug report but another request for advice from those out there who understand these things better than I do.

Does AW2007 still have the same problem of wiping out the entire Windows Registry (the lnk / exe file association problem) that AW6SE used to do ? I was bitten by this problem in AW6SE and it wiped out my PC completely - I only recovered it with the help of utilities on the absolutely brilliant Doug Knox website.

Then after looking on this forum I found it was a very common problem with AW6SE. To be honest, that was the only reason why I upgraded to AW2007 in the hope that this problem would have been fixed - with all of the other stuff going on in AW2007 I now feel a bit insecure.

Well, that's off my chest now. I await with interest to see if LSoft are going to fix these things, or at least own up and say they are in the process of being fixed. Otherwise I can see myself and a lot of other faithful paying users emigrating to other software companies.

Cheers all.

I also noticed Ad-Watch was reporting loads and loads of registry changes and if you pay close attention (at least this happened on my computer with IE7) When I visited a web site I was getting weird Icons in the address bar....... Example a lioght bulb for msn.com , a a purple smiley face for msnbc.com and most of the time a big blue check mark. No Cookies were detected but after I uninstalled Ad-aware 2007 plus I ran NIS2007 it found 3 and WinPatrol 2007 found 6 who is right, who is wrong.

I got the blue screen of death 2x.... thank God , I did not lose any information I a was able to recover. I felt as though I was infected with a virsue. My computer has 1gb ram but seemed to crawl at times. So as any sane person would do I shut down Ad-Watch and uninstalled Ad-aware 2007 plus restarted computer.

By gooly everything has been good since. I have been trying to request a refund for plus version but have not heard from Sales, Tech Support or element5 yet. I have contacted the bank and they will be helping me settle this matter Ad-Aware 2007 plus\Pro should not of been realeased yet it has way to many problems if there is someone who is from lavasoft please direct me to whom i can request that refund without bothering my bank any further Thank you all have a nice day AD-Aware SE Pro was a great program I will still use it hope they allow updates till they fix the 2007 version

What exactly is the issues with this AAW 2007????? Seems to be having a hell of a lot of installation and functionality problems..

I have always been an advocate of Ad Aware in all the PC forums I frequent, but this debacle is really biting into the credibility of even mentioning it for fear others will perceive it as a joke if they have to go thru all this crapola!!....

Just my two cents worth...

I truly have always preferred Ad Aware over others, but I really don't absolutely need it if I have to go thru all this...especially with no response or clue from Lavasoft techies???...

Sorry to see the once fantastic Ad Aware reduced to this debacle.

Same. I installed AA 2007 on a friend's PC and now I'm going to removing it next time I'm there. Seems like many once-revered apps are going this way, unfortunately - bloated and buggy.

I'm sure the issues with AA 2007 will be sorted out eventually, but Ad-Aware's cred will be dinted by this sloppy launch. Meantime, I've gone back to the reliable SE 1.06r version.

Edited by supernes

if there is someone who is from lavasoft please direct me to whom i can request that refund without bothering my bank any further Thank you all have a nice day AD-Aware SE Pro was a great program I will still use it hope they allow updates till they fix the 2007 version

Hi, assuming you bought the Ad-Aware Plus version, you should have received an email confirming your purchase and giving you the username and password to sign into the Support Center to file a support request for your refund:

http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/

Note that the Support Center will be closed tomorrow (June 20) for maintenance, so you may want to go ahead and process that request today (June 19).

However, if you have already requested a chargeback through your bank, that you should not do both (request a chargeback and request a refund directly from Lavasoft)

I was stupid and downloaded the new Ad-Aware 2007. I am a owner of the Ad-Aware 2006 PRO not having any problems. As soon as I open the new download I realized that I made a big mistake.

Number 1: The download was for the free version for which I paid for in the amount of $28.94 because I order the back up disc.

Number 2: When I complained a link was sent for the plus? version not the Pro version which I read today which not even be available till June 21 or so.

Number 3: Lavasoft Products sent out an email which made me think this was a true replacement product for what I had.

Number 4: The open screen on Ad-Watch is very distorted, making me believe this is a program is that not ready to be released.

For CNET or PC Magazines to give rave reviews of the new AdAware is suspect...they too must have seen all the bugs and how screwed up it is. Or could they have been "compensated"...

I vote for compensation. If that isn't the case, then I wouldn't trust ANY review from either one of those rat mags.

I suppose this is a rant...I just installed Ad-Aware2007(free) and find the screens very hard to read. Much of the text is in white on pale blue background which doesn't give enough contrast to read the text easily. And some important menu items are written using hollow (outlined) letters which makes this problem even worse. I am in the early stages of cataracts which is quite common at my age (60) but I have no trouble reading ordinary black text on white background, even in small sizes like I am typing now on this forum. My eye doctor says I still have 20/20 vision and he thinks I don't need cataract surgery for quite a few years, so I don't plan to accelerate that surgery just because a designer at Lavasoft thinks hard-to-read text looks stylish! I switched my Ad-Aware from the default "blue" skin to the alternate "pink" skin which is somewhat better (except some buttons are still blue), but can't we have a simple plain black and white skin? Surely it wouldn't take much work, it's just a graphic.

Sign in to follow this