Sign in to follow this  
LS CalamityJane

Rants Go Here

We are working on a higher contrast skin. We don't have a deadline for it yet but we will try to get it done as soon as possible.

Regards, Tobias

I have tried to install AdAware 2007 on four separate systems. Not one was a successful install. Two were free, so no big deal. Simply uninstalled and moved on. The other two were paid. I've advised each user to seek a refund and go elsewhere for spyware software. The installation issues were reported, even as far back as the 2nd beta release, but with no fix and no response.

I have used, recommended and installed AdAware for a long time. I remain an active signature file beta tester using SE. Until 2007, it was my primary recommendation for spyware detection/removal. This is no longer the case.

I WILL NOT RECOMMEND THIS SOFTWARE TO ANYONE UNTIL IT IS STABILIZED.

The current cost-of-ownership is too high.

I registered just to post this reply.

v6 was a great product. The scans were fast, it did a good job at cleaning up problems and it was easy to use.

v2007 scans are slower. Doesn't remove all the stuff it finds. (Not to mention it's hard to verify everything is selected to be removed.) And I find the interface to be bloated and clumsy.

I don't know if you guys will understand this comparison... but here goes. v6 is to Winamp 2.9x as 2007 is to Winamp 3+.

My recommendation is quit all the fancy schmancy nonsense. I want a small application that scans quickly, finds ALL the problems, removes them and is easy to use. Footprint should be minimal and should be able to run in safe mode. Any program that can do that is going to be a favorite among users.

Many years ago when I purchased Ad-Aware Pro I was told by Lavasoft that this was a lifetime license and would be entitled to all future upgrades. They held up their end of the bargain over past product changes. But, this time I had problems finding a download link for Ad-Adware Pro 2007. After several months of contacting Lavasoft Support today I finally have an answer.

Apparently Ad-Aware 2007 is an entirely new program and not an upgrade. So the license is dead and out the window. Well, how about that? :angry:

I really expected that lifetime meant what it said. That is, that in my lifetime I would be entitled to future upgrades and that there would be no double speak about whether a new version is really a new product or not. Well, color me naive for expecting something like that.

I do appreciate the one year license for Ad-Adware Pro 2007 but frankly the whole thing leaves me with a bitter taste in my mouth. At this point I'm not so sure if I will install this product.

Here's the response I received:

Thank you for your email.

Regarding your entitlement to a free version 2007 due to having a ‘lifetime license’ or ‘lifetime upgrades’; because Ad-Aware 2007 is an entirely new program, technically this is not an upgrade from past versions of Ad-Aware therefore your lifetime license will not roll over to this new product. To explain this further, all past versions of Ad-Aware have been an improved upgraded version, still based on the original software. The new Ad-Aware 2007 is completely new program with an entirely redesigned engine which means it is not just an upgrade, but a new product altogether. It is also important to make you aware that Ad-Aware SE is no longer going to be supported from December 31st therefore to remain protected you will need to upgrade to Ad-Aware 2007 before this date.

We assure you that you are a valuable customer to us, and although we can no longer offer lifetime licenses, we will certainly offer you a free 12 month subscription to Ad-Aware 2007 Professional so you can upgrade free of charge. This will allow you to use the program for 12 month, however at the end of this period you will need to pay to renew your license.

To obtain the program, please first go to download.com and download the free version first. You then need this registration key to activate your Pro version.

Please first select Ad-Aware Professional 12 month license from the drop down list and enter this serial number. Once this is entered the Professional Version will be activated.

We thank you for your ongoing support and hope you enjoy using Ad-Aware 2007 Pro.

Anders - Lavasoft Support

I purchased Ad-Aware Plus in 2002. The agreement that Lavasoft had with users back then was if you purchased Ad-Aware you would never need to pay for an upgrade again. Effectively purchase the product and you would be covered for life.

No doubt many other users also felt this was a good deal and purchased Ad-Aware instead of alternative programs. This strong support from the early AdAware users no doubt contributed to the popularity and strong growth of the AdAware product.

There was never any mention or suggestion that if the product was improved or Lavasoft decided to rewrite Ad-Aware then the free lifetime upgrade agreement would be torn up. The eligibility to upgrade or any distinction between a "small" update and a "big" update was never on the radar until now. This clause that a "full rewrite" would invalidate the agreement was never a part of the original purchase/support agreement.

Clearly the agreement is only good while it is in the favor of Lavasoft. Sadly looking after loyal users (who in the past spoke highly of lavasoft and their software) really isn't important any longer.

If Lifetime free upgrades and protection only applies to the old product and not to the "new" 2007 product - then why is support for signature updates being terminated at the end of this year? Has Lavasoft decided to kill off the lifetime of support and upgrades for both the old and new products?

Given the choice (considering the problems users are having with the new 2007 products) maybe existing users prefer to continue with AdAware 1.06r1SE.

I have sent numerous emails to support - going back and forward. Getting an account created for the support center has been an ordeal (I feel like I am pulling teeth). It appears they no longer have records of past customers or their licenses. Despite being provided with all of the original purchase details (about 4 times) my support centre account still doesn't have any record of the purchase I have made.

There has been no offer made to me for a free "12 month subscription" - and reading other posts in these forums the official line seems to range from requiring the outright purchase of an upgrade, an upgrade at a discounted price, and a free "12 month upgrade" then each of these reverting to an annual subscription.

The only reply from support in terms of eligibility for the 2007 upgrade when providing details of my 2002 purchase was "This included a 1 year maintenance agreement which has now expired". That's it. Clearly I'm not entitled to anything. (There was never a 1 year maintenance agreement. Or an expiry).

Well in the hope of making a few extra dollars by going back on their word, Lavasoft is unlikely to get any extra money from me - and in good faith, I cannot recommend any of their products to others (several purchased as a direct result of my recommendation). Future sales/subscriptions will be directed to Lavasoft competitors. Many other legacy users I am sure will be doing the same.

Clearly Lavasoft does not care about their loyal users. Keeping their word, Lavasoft would be more likely to maintain goodwill, and happy users who tell others about a good company to deal with. These users scattered across the globe could be considered valuable advertisements and spokespeople for the product. Instead you have the same users scattered across the globe telling anyone who is looking for something "like AdAware" - to look elsewhere - because Lavasoft are shifty and their word/product isn't worth spit.

It makes me wonder what a few hundred or a few thousand active "positive word of mouth" reps around the globe is worth in terms of "a free serial number". Is it worth a few dollars? Even if these users might result in just one new paying Ad-Aware user each year? Instead they will be driving users towards other products - and possibly even taking existing customers away by strongly recommending other products that are better.

Still it's obviously a business decision somebody at Lavasoft thought was "a good idea". Short sighted. Really.

It's a shame nobody else suggested "a better idea".

Thanks for your feedback, it is important to us and we do read these, but...there have been many topics on this already and this forum is for support issues, specifically those seeking help on support issues, therefore, we have a "rants" thread for posts like this providing feedback and your thoughts (positive and negative). I'll move this there so it will be seen as that topic is monitored by Lavasoft staff whereas duplicate topics in here are not.

Thanks for your feedback, it is important to us and we do read these, but...there have been many topics on this already and this forum is for support issues, specifically those seeking help on support issues, therefore, we have a "rants" thread for posts like this providing feedback and your thoughts (positive and negative). I'll move this there so it will be seen as that topic is monitored by Lavasoft staff whereas duplicate topics in here are not.
I don't know why you thought my post #55 was a rant CJ. Maybe this is old hat to you but it was new to me and I couldn't find any specific answer to this issue in the forum before I posted. I wouldn't have done it otherwise. It's your forum and you may moderate it as you wish. But I did not see it as a rant and hate to be shoved off to backwater portion of the forum where nobody will see my post.

Thanks for your feedback, it is important to us and we do read these, but... we have a "rants" thread for posts like this

It is a shame (although hardly suprising) that so called "important" feedback from users is swept under the carpet and filed under "rants".

rant (n.) High-sounding language, without importance or dignity of thought; boisterous, empty declamation; bombast; as, the rant of fanatics.

Don't worry, BuBBy, I am reading this forum all the time and will make sure nothing slips through the cracks.

But I did not see it as a rant and hate to be shoved off to backwater portion of the forum where nobody will see my post.

THIS is the topic that will get read. Posting non-issue type posts (meaning not requesting support - just a commentary) simply will NOT get read and certainly won't serve any purpose sitting in the General Support area. That is why these posts are put here so that they will get read. If I wanted to "sweep it under the carpet" I would have simply deleted it or wait for it to go into the resolved/inactive forums which are read only. This topic was created for this purpose and is still open for you - that is why it was moved here.

I'm sure that you can see that we have a huge number of support requests outstanding in these forums with a minimum of helpers to get to those waiting for answers. Therefore leaving open commentary type posts in the support forums is actually preventing others from getting the help that they need. Thanks for your understanding. Your post here is in the appropriate topic now for review.

THIS is the topic that will get read. Posting non-issue type posts (meaning not requesting support - just a commentary) simply will NOT get read and certainly won't serve any purpose sitting in the General Support area. That is why these posts are put here so that they will get read. If I wanted to "sweep it under the carpet" I would have simply deleted it or wait for it to go into the resolved/inactive forums which are read only. This topic was created for this purpose and is still open for you - that is why it was moved here.

I'm sure that you can see that we have a huge number of support requests outstanding in these forums with a minimum of helpers to get to those waiting for answers. Therefore leaving open commentary type posts in the support forums is actually preventing others from getting the help that they need. Thanks for your understanding. Your post here is in the appropriate topic now for review.

OK CJ. If you say it, I believe it. I pretty much think this is a dead issue anyway since Lavasoft has decided what to do with the old lifetime users. My feelings are pretty much irrelevant at this point.

Have fun with all those open support requests CJ.

Thank you.

Nick .. I do not have a phone . but do have MAJOR issues with the NEW ADAWAREPLUS .. it keeps telling me 'not protected' .. shuts down ADWATCH . I have NO clue .. have a feeling we are 'the beta testers' .. and I do NOT like it .. If I want to BETA . I will .but to pay for a product and then get all kinds of problems/bugs . forget it .. used to be a GREAT product . now I am wondering:(

L36Suds

NB: Post moved to Rants - completely off topic in original thread: How To Allow Software To Install !, ad watch preventing software running !

L36Suds, unless you are actually posting to assist or answer a question, please stick to your own Topics

Edited by spike-nz

I just registered here so that I could post my opinion...

I've only used the free version of Ad Aware, but I've had it installed on my system for several years now. When the subject of malware came up, Ad Aware was always the first program mentioned. It seemed that everyone had a very high opinion of it. Those days are over.

I came to the site this morning because I hadn't updated my copy of Ad Aware in quite some time. I saw that there was a new version available, but when I went to check the system requirements, it said it wouldn't work under Windows 98SE. Apparently if you're still running Windows 98, you don't deserve to have your system protected any more. I see some people have complained about this and others tell them that 98 is outdated and that they shouldn't expect support for it. They say that it's too old; Software isn't like fruit, it doesn't spoil. They say that Microsoft doesn't support it any more; Of course not, their entire business model is built on planned obsolescence. They say that if you don't upgrade, you won't be able to run new software; So I'm supposed to dump something that's working fine for me because that's what everyone else is doing? Am I to assume that I will no longer have to worry about malware infecting my Windows 98SE system because all of the malware will now run only on 2K/NT/XP/Vista? If malware still exists for 98SE, then the tools to remove it should still work on 98SE.

The most common answer so far seems to be to tell people to use Ad Aware SE for 98SE systems. Of course this ignores the fact that Lavasoft is going to discontinue updates for SE, so anyone still using Windows 98 will no longer be able to get new definitions. This demonstrates that Lavasoft only cares about its customers as far as is necessary to keep them paying. If they truly cared about customers and helping people, as they claim to, they would continue the updates for the SE version into the forseeable future. Of course if they really cared, they would have made the 2007 version compatible with the existing definitions format. But wait you say! The definition format had to be changed to accommodate all the new things that the 2007 version can scan for, that the older version couldn't! Bullcrap! If any such things exist, they could have simply put them at the end of the defs file, used a separator to mark the start of that section and relesed a minor update to the SE edition that would stop loading the defs when it came to that separator. Of course, I don't see why there would be anything that needs the 2007 version to detect and remove.

I've also read comments from people who said that they had bought "lifetime" licenses in the past, only to be told that because the 2007 edition was a new program, they would have to pay for it. I'm not a lawyer, but frankly this sounds like a blatant case of fraud to me. Other than the addition of "2007", it carries the same name as previous versions and performs essentially the same function. I think a good case could be made that Ad Aware 2007 qualifies as an update of the older versions. When you think about it, what is the point of selling a lifetime license to customers if the company can invalidate that license anytime it wants by claiming that a new version is a separate program. Isn't this exactly the sort of thing that a "lifetime" license is supposed to protect users against? Again, I'm not a lawyer, but I'd be willing to bet that all of the users who bought lifetime licenses now have pretty good grounds for filing a class-action lawsuit against Lavasoft. Even if Lavasoft is legally entitled to charge "lifetime" users for this new version, this is a VERY slimy thing to do and will leave a bad taste in many people's mouths. Besides, the "it's a new program" excuse isn't fooling anyone. It's painfully apparent that Lavasoft is only using that argument to weasel out of honoring lifetime licenses.

This, coupled with the poor reported performance of the 2007 version, not to mention the bloat (18 megs!!!) has really lowered my opinion of Lavasoft. I've seen this sort of thing happen to other products. Sure, they continue to sell, but what was once a respected product, turns into a piece of bloatware that hardly anyone uses.

Every review I've seen so far of Ad Aware 2007 has been neutral at best and negative at worst. As for those editor's picks and such that Ad Aware 2007 gets on various download sites, for the most part, they mean absolutely NOTHING. You can take a text file, rename it to .EXE, upload it to those sharware sites they'll still give it glowing reviews, even though it doesn't work. Don't believe me? One author proved it;

The Software Awards Scam

So to summarize, I'm very disappointed to see that Lavasoft has gone from a company that people trusted to one that would screw over their customers to sell a bloated new product that people say doesn't even perform as well as the older version.

For CNET or PC Magazines to give rave reviews of the new AdAware is suspect...they too must have seen all the bugs and how screwed up it is. Or could they have been "compensated"...

AMEN to that lee88 - This whole thing makes Cnet suspect of corraborating with the "enemy" and probably will result in very bad publicity for a once very much trusted download-site. NOT ANY MORE! Lavasoft and Cnet together on a very bad product - how interesting!! I for my self uninstalled everything to do with Lavasoft and am running nothing at the time which is much better than the piece of garbage that Lavasoft put out. Shoulda left a perfectly good product alone Lava-Team! Sayonara!!

email support has been no help, just telling me to uninstall and reinstall. I've done this several times already. When I try to start the program vista tells me the programs has stopped working and tries to find a solution but it doesn’t and the program won’t start.

Thanks

I AM HAVING THE SAME PORBLEM FOR ABOUT A WEEK NOW. I JUST REALIZE THAT LAVASOFT DOES NOT PROVIDE SUPPORT FOR THEIR PRODUCTS. THIS COMPANY IS GARBAGE. AND THEY WONT REFUND YOUR MONEY. WE SHOULD REPORT THEM THE THE FCC & FTC. THIS IS ROBERY!!!!!

Don't hold your breath. Lavasoft sells the product nut THEY won't provide support. BECAUSE OF THE SUPPORT PROBLEMS I AM HAVING (about a week now), I would never recommend this product to anyone.

[Edited by SpySentinel]

Please don't type in all caps to prove a point.

Edited by SpySentinel

Sign in to follow this