Sign in to follow this  
Martyoplastic

Ad-aware 2007 Version 7.0.1.3 - Aawservice.exe

Limited Users do not have write permission to \Program Files\ so can't install software of any variety. More to the point, though, is that if AAW is run under LU ownership it will be ineffective at cleaning anything other than what is in the \Documents and Settings\{uname}\ folder since that is the only area to which an LU has write permissions. With the service starting at boot and running under System ownership a LU can open the GUI and use it to relay instructions to the service.

Hi

Before it can be effective in removing anything, it has to be effective in finding something like cookies that do exist in the computer. If it can't find cookies effectively, I don't know if it can find anything else other than MRU items.:( I also have Spyware Doctor which is turned on every time I want to use it. I click to turn it on, then the program turns on the necessary parts to run the program and it cleans what it finds also. I don't want it running full time, so I clicked to turn it off. It then closes all necessary services and parts and requires a reboot to completely disable it. I certainly don't mind rebooting after I have finished with the program. This is what needs to happen with Ad-Aware 2007. I am not very computer literate, so I don't know if I am explaining it correctly, but if Ad-Aware is going to have a service that is needed to run to find and clean anti spyware etc., then it needs to be set up like this other program is. If a reboot is needed to clean something, then you can reboot and still have the program going. When it is finished cleaning, then you can turn off the program and the shut down process closes down all its parts and a reboot completes the shut down process.

Limited Users do not have write permission to \Program Files\ so can't install software of any variety.

False : users can install Ad-Aware 2007 in a different location than C:\Program Files\.

Edited by Martyoplastic

False : users can install Ad-Aware 2007 in a different location than C:\Program Files\.

False: Administrators may be able to do that. AAW2007 uses the Windows Installer to install. If you check the file permissions for the installer you will see that only Administers and System have any permissions whatsoever. If an LU can't run the installer he/she can't install it anywhere.

I too think it's strange ... the Free Version doesn't make use of that part, yet that freakin aawservice just can't be stopped. It's the ONLY software I have where the exe restarts itself after being closed in the TaskManager :) Why keep it loaded when it's not used? Is it to irritate the free users so much so they will upgrade to Pro? I for one did stop using AdAware 2007 for this stuff ....

If aawservice is not running, then nobody logged onto the system as a regular user will be able to open and use AAW2007. I have tested this so know it to be true.

I am still not sure why so many folks object to this. Unless AAW is open the service uses no CPU and pages most of its RAM out to the swap file so other programs can use the on-chip memory.

XP and Vista are far different architecturally than Win9x and require more advanced techniques to clean and protect. The service running under System permissions is the most obvious sign of this advancement.

Sign in to follow this