Sign in to follow this  
Schwergangig

Windows Firewall Problem

I have Windows xp, I reformatted my computer about a month or two ago. The problem is I can't turn off my firewall.

I go to the control panel and double-click the "Windows Firewall" icon. The "On (recommended)" button is marked and the "Don't allow exceptions" box is checked

And it won't let me check/mark the "Off (not recommended)" button. It's grayed out. Everything is. I think it has something to do with the user because when I login in to my desktop I have to log in as "Administrator" with no password. I don't know though.

Please help- Thank you- I'll appreciate it

I have Windows xp, I reformatted my computer about a month or two ago. The problem is I can't turn off my firewall.

I go to the control panel and double-click the "Windows Firewall" icon. The "On (recommended)" button is marked and the "Don't allow exceptions" box is checked

And it won't let me check/mark the "Off (not recommended)" button. It's grayed out. Everything is. I think it has something to do with the user because when I login in to my desktop I have to log in as "Administrator" with no password. I don't know though.

You said you reinstalled your OS. Did you install SP2 ?

Hello :D

Please make a screen shot of that firewall message( which is greyed out )

and tell us our system settings and not at least your XP Version / SERVICE PACK / last update.

BTW give yourself a pleasure >> open a new user account / give it a name / give it full rights / and log in as

it in future. Otherwise you'll come in big trouble when the system crashes next.

:blush: Regards

Raziel

Edited by Raziel v. Nosgoth

Hello :D

Please make a screen shot of that firewall message( which is greyed out )

and tell us our system settings and not at least your XP Version / SERVICE PACK / last update.

BTW give yourself a pleasure >> open a new user account / give it a name / give it full rights / and log in as

it in future. Otherwise you'll come in big trouble when the system crashes next.

:blush: Regards

Raziel

Here is the screenshot.

post-28823-1181488176.png

My system settings are:

• USAF Standard Configuration

• 1.2 Enhanced SDCImage

• Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz

• 3.01 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

• Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2

• NVIDIA GeForce FX5700LE

• SAC type is Integrated RAMDAC

• Memory size is 256 mb

If this isn't all the system settings you want or need then that means I can't find any other settings because I don't know where they are. I'm not good with computer settings and all that stuff. Oh and how do you create a new user?

-Thank you

Edited by Schwergangig

Here is the screenshot.

post-28823-1181488176.png

My system settings are:

• USAF Standard Configuration

• 1.2 Enhanced SDCImage

• Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz

• 3.01 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

• Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2

• NVIDIA GeForce FX5700LE

• SAC type is Integrated RAMDAC

• Memory size is 256 mb

If this isn't all the system settings you want or need then that means I can't find any other settings because I don't know where they are. I'm not good with computer settings and all that stuff. Oh and how do you create a new user?

-Thank you

Dear Poster :D

The only solution of your 'little' :D problem you can find here >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231288/EN-US/<<<

It's named : Deleting Group Policy Object Removes

Have a nice day :blush:

Raziel

Umm... I can't get pass the first step.

Instead of clicking on the link which Raziel provided you, try using the address bar to type in:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231288/en-us

The full title of the Knowledge Base article is: "Deleting a Group Policy Object Removes Links for Other Active Directory Containers"

Make sure to print off a copy of the Knowledge Base article and follow the instructions step by step. If the Knowledge Base article refers you to other, related KB articles, I recommend you click on the links provided and print those articles as well. I, too, am not a techie, but have found that when I followed this procedure, I was able to straighten out an OS problem without the necessity of a paid Tech Support call to Microsoft.

Please post back to let us know if you have further questions and how your computer is doing!

Thanks, Raziel, for pointing Schwegangig in the right direction!

Regards, Jerry

Sorry for the reply to a very old topic, but I am trying to clean up and find no responses from the original poster since June 10, I will assume this matter has been resolved.

I'll go ahead and archive this topic in the "Resolved" section (read only)

If you should have any further issues, please feel free to post a new topic.

Sign in to follow this