Sign in to follow this  
sorenyace

Unwanted Protection Bar In Internet Explorer

Okay, now I know that many other people have posted this same topic but I'm kinda computer illiterate so I was hoping could give me special attention because I'm not sure what to do. I don't have like fancy spyware removers and stuff. I have an expired subscription to Norton and I have something called Symantec but I don't really know how to work those programs. Anyway, there's an unwanted protection bar in my internet explorer. What do I do?

I was hoping to kinda get the dumb version on how to remove this because I don't know too much about the inner workings of a computer. Also Keep in mind that i DO NOT have all that fancy anti this and anti that sofeware. I was hoping someone could walk me through the removal telling all the things i may need to dowload and such because when I tried to read some other posts about the issue, it was kinda situation specific so what worked for their computer may be slightly different for mine. I've got Windows XP Home. I don't know about that 2PS or whatever. Mmmm and I have Internet Explorer 7. I don't really know much else to say about my computer. Can someone help me!!

Edited by sorenyace

Okay, now I know that many other people have posted this same topic but I'm kinda computer illiterate so I was hoping could give me special attention because I'm not sure what to do. I don't have like fancy spyware removers and stuff. I have an expired subscription to Norton and I have something called Symantec but I don't really know how to work those programs. Anyway, there's an unwanted protection bar in my internet explorer. What do I do?

I was hoping to kinda get the dumb version on how to remove this because I don't know too much about the inner workings of a computer. Also Keep in mind that i DO NOT have all that fancy anti this and anti that sofeware. I was hoping someone could walk me through the removal telling all the things i may need to dowload and such because when I tried to read some other posts about the issue, it was kinda situation specific so what worked for their computer may be slightly different for mine. I've got Windows XP Home. I don't know about that 2PS or whatever. Mmmm and I have Internet Explorer 7. I don't really know much else to say about my computer. Can someone help me!!

Hi, sorenyace.

Please post a screen shot from your problem.

I .) push print > open ms paint > push the second button in the upper left > push ' insert ' (Ctrl + V ) > save to own pictures >switch from bmp to JPEG > give it a name ( may be 1 )

II.) open this answer again > push reply > go to 'attachments' > browse > choose your JPEG > upload > open ' Manage

Current Attachments ' > click on the file with the green cross

That's all

Regards

Raziel

well I tried to take a screen shot but it didn't work. I have a laptop so there's no printscreen button. What do I do now? Is there another way I can make a screen shot?

I couldn't take a screenshot from my computer but I found a picture of what I'm talking about. The bar in this picture is the same one that I'm trying to get rid of. PLUS I would still like to know how to take a screenshop on my laptop when there is NO printscreen button. I didn't think you could do that because they took the clipboard out of the Start>Accessories>System Tools menu. I used to take screen shots all the time with my Windows 98 PC.

post-28864-1181494895.jpg

It looks like you selected the option to have Ad-Aware integrate with Internet Explorer when you installed the program.

If your goal is to remove the Protection Bar to save screen space, or simply because you do not wish to see it, click on "View" in the menu bar (third from the left), select "Toolbars"--it should be the first option in the drop-down menu, and unclick (removes the checkmark) by Ad-Aware. That should cause the Protection Bar to disappear from view.

You state you have IE7 installed--will you please check by clicking on the "Help" in the Menu Bar and click on "About Internet Explorer"? The "About Internet Explorer" should be the last item in the drop-down menu.

Please post back to let us know how your computer is doing. Even though you are not familiar with SP2, we all recommend that you have your Windows "Automatic Updates" turned on (you can check by clicking "Start" then "Control Panel" and then clicking on "Automatic Updates") and regularly use your "Tools" menu, and going down the drop-down menu to "Windows Update."

Raziel and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards, Jerry

Edited by JerryPorter

Mmmm, the View>Toolbars thing did not work. I just don't want to see it at all. I only want to see my address bar, followed by my AOL toobar and then my tabs. But now there's this "protection bar" thingy up there and I just wanna get rid of it. I think it may have something to do with this thing that got downloaded on my computer called Spyware Doctor. I don't know what it does though, or even if its really a program or just spyware. I don't know what Ad-aware is but I would love to remove it if it means the protection bar will disappear. Anyway, it's still there and I tried your advice. What else ya got for me? :P

Guest propel

http://remove-protection-bar.org/?gclid=CI...CFRE9VAod5lQ6tg

Someone emailed this to me. (I've been getting a few emails from posts here that I never read?) So before you start that link on top. I would get a 2nd. opinion from someone... I don't have any toolbars from google or yahoo ect... but I am using IE 6.0 on a notebook with win-xp home (sp2) good luck.....

Mmmm, the View>Toolbars thing did not work. I just don't want to see it at all. I only want to see my address bar, followed by my AOL toobar and then my tabs. But now there's this "protection bar" thingy up there and I just wanna get rid of it. I think it may have something to do with this thing that got downloaded on my computer called Spyware Doctor. I don't know what it does though, or even if its really a program or just spyware. I don't know what Ad-aware is but I would love to remove it if it means the protection bar will disappear. Anyway, it's still there and I tried your advice. What else ya got for me? ;)

I should have looked more carefully at the image of your Protection Bar: The image has an icon that is so close to a "dead ringer" for Ad-Watch that I thought I was seeing something I did not see in Beta 6 or 7 of Ad-Aware. Please take a look at the post from Propel--but before you use any of the tools in that site, I would check the Support Forum (use the "search" feature for removal of the ZLOB trojan. One of the Volunteer Security Advisors (sorry I can't tell you his name off the top of my head) has posted some outstanding, step-by-step instructions for removal of ZLOB and its variants (I have read his posts and instructions even though I blessedly have not had a SLOB infection)--these volunteers REALLY know malware and how to get rid of it!

I apologize for inadvertently leading you to believe you were looking at an Ad-Aware Internet Explorer "add-in"--while I'm no expert on malware, it would appear your computer is infected. Somewhere I am connecting a recollection of reviewing information in which I believe that "SpyDoctor" may be part of the spyware/malware programs to be avoided. If you see SpyAxe on your computer--you DEFINITELY are infected!

I note with regret that you have an "expired subscription" to Norton (I'm assuming you mean Norton Anti-Virus (NAV)--you may want to start by going to Symantec's web-based virus detection program and running it. A caution: Having used the web-based Symantec anti-viral scanner, it does take some time--it might be something (depending on the number of files on your computer's drive) that you would want to start and leave running when you go to bed (my NAV takes about 9 hours to completely scan 2-40Gb HDs and a 300 Gb USB backup drive). The process is slowed down when the scanner is being run through the Internet. However, I DO definitely recommend that, whether you use Norton or any of the other AV programs which are recommended by any of the Volunteer Security Advisors, you ALWAYS keep your definitions updated and current.

If you are still having problems after trying an anti-viral scan, I note that some of LS's Volunteer Security Advisors also regularly post on the Support Forums for BleepingComputer.com. However, I believe you will find your answer in one or more of the existing topics in LS's Support Forum.

I look forward to seeing your reply post.

Best regards, Jerry

mmmmm okay. well anyway, now my computer is getting really slow. when i turn it on and then try to get on the internet, sometimes i go to taskmanager to see what programs are taking up all of my memory or whatever and usually the program taking up the most memory is swdoctor.exe or svhost.exe. it always happens when i turn on my computer and try to get on the internet. i used to think it was because my computer does a scan of every action i take to make sure there are no viruses and whatever there but it slows my computer down so much. sometimes it takes up 100% memory. sometimes i end task on the program, svchost.exe or swdoctor.exe and the problems go away. now, i do know that svhost.exe is a real windows process and it does many behind the scenes actions and there are often many svchost.exe's going on at a given time but when svchost.exe is at the top of the list of programs and taking up the most memory, i know that there is something else going on there. i think it may be relevent to spyware or adware or something. also, i have noticed that recently, since this stupid Protection Bar is on my internet explorer, whenever i end task on svchost.exe or swdoctor.exe, my sound goes away. i click on the speaker to try to turn up or down the volume on my computer and it tells me there are no active sound mixers available. i don't know what a mixer is but i know i defintely bought my laptop with sound cards etc installed so the sound should not be a problem. HELP, I DON'T KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH MY COMPUTER.

mmmmm okay. well anyway, now my computer is getting really slow. when i turn it on and then try to get on the internet, sometimes i go to taskmanager to see what programs are taking up all of my memory or whatever and usually the program taking up the most memory is swdoctor.exe or svhost.exe. it always happens when i turn on my computer and try to get on the internet. i used to think it was because my computer does a scan of every action i take to make sure there are no viruses and whatever there but it slows my computer down so much. sometimes it takes up 100% memory. sometimes i end task on the program, svchost.exe or swdoctor.exe and the problems go away. now, i do know that svhost.exe is a real windows process and it does many behind the scenes actions and there are often many svchost.exe's going on at a given time but when svchost.exe is at the top of the list of programs and taking up the most memory, i know that there is something else going on there. i think it may be relevent to spyware or adware or something. also, i have noticed that recently, since this stupid Protection Bar is on my internet explorer, whenever i end task on svchost.exe or swdoctor.exe, my sound goes away. i click on the speaker to try to turn up or down the volume on my computer and it tells me there are no active sound mixers available. i don't know what a mixer is but i know i defintely bought my laptop with sound cards etc installed so the sound should not be a problem. HELP, I DON'T KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH MY COMPUTER.

Hi,sorenyace

please post your problem here > http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showforum=36 < and follow the instuction for

HighjackThis .

Regards

Raziel

Sign in to follow this