Sign in to follow this  
bill5x5user

2007 Messing With Earthlink?

I am running Windows XP and IE 7.

I have noticed that after I do a remove using AA 2007, Earthlink "forgets" who I am. I assume this is because 2007 is deleting a cookie or cookies that Earthlink uses/needs, but I don't see anything that looks like that in the list of Privacy Objects. I am not happy with this "feature." Are other people having this problem, too?

Bill Denholm

Hi Bill22sup,

Here is a way to find which cookie it is :

1/ Scan and remove all cookies on your system

2/ DIRECTLY connect to EarthLink

3/ Close your browser and re-do a scan.

Only the cookie placed by Earthlink should appear.

Hope this helps.

Michel

Hi Bill22sup,

Here is a way to find which cookie it is :

1/ Scan and remove all cookies on your system

2/ DIRECTLY connect to EarthLink

3/ Close your browser and re-do a scan.

Only the cookie placed by Earthlink should appear.

Hope this helps.

Michel

Michel,

Yes, it does help. I can see now that the program (AA 2007) IS deleteing the cookie, but it isn't telling me and it isn't giving me a chance to add it to my ignore list. I wouldn't call this a fatal flaw, but I don't like it and I hope the Lavasoft developers will try to find out why it is happening.

Bill Denholm

Michel,

Yes, it does help. I can see now that the program (AA 2007) IS deleteing the cookie, but it isn't telling me and it isn't giving me a chance to add it to my ignore list. I wouldn't call this a fatal flaw, but I don't like it and I hope the Lavasoft developers will try to find out why it is happening.

Bill Denholm

Ad-Watch is the only part of Ad-Aware 2007 that would delete a cookie without you having a say in the matter - is this the case? If so, please send me the name of the cookie and I'll see what I can do about it.

Regards, Tobias

Ad-Watch is the only part of Ad-Aware 2007 that would delete a cookie without you having a say in the matter - is this the case? If so, please send me the name of the cookie and I'll see what I can do about it.

Regards, Tobias

Tobias,

I don't think so. I am running the free version of 2007, which doesn't have Ad-Watch. That, and the fact that it only happens when I use the program (2007) to remove Privacy Objects.

The cookie is called Earthlink.net

Bill

Tobias,

I don't think so. I am running the free version of 2007, which doesn't have Ad-Watch. That, and the fact that it only happens when I use the program (2007) to remove Privacy Objects.

The cookie is called Earthlink.net

Bill

So are your saying that Ad-Aware removes this cookie without you ever getting the chance to put it in the Ignore List when you get the scan results?

I'll have a look at this tomorrow.

Regards, Tobias

So are your saying that Ad-Aware removes this cookie without you ever getting the chance to put it in the Ignore List when you get the scan results?

I'll have a look at this tomorrow.

Regards, Tobias

Tobias,

I don't know if this will help, but the problem may be associated with another cookie called "earthlink.122.2o7". Yesterday, when I did a remove using 2007, and this cookie wasn't there, I didn't lose my earthlink cookie. Today, it was there, and I lost both cookies.

Bill Denholm

Tobias,

I don't know if this will help, but the problem may be associated with another cookie called "earthlink.122.2o7". Yesterday, when I did a remove using 2007, and this cookie wasn't there, I didn't lose my earthlink cookie. Today, it was there, and I lost both cookies.

Bill Denholm

Maybe I have misunderstood something, but when it does appear in the scan results list - couldn't you add it to the Ignore List to prevent it from being removed?

Regards, Tobias

Maybe I have misunderstood something, but when it does appear in the scan results list - couldn't you add it to the Ignore List to prevent it from being removed?

Regards, Tobias

Tobias,

Do you mean ignore (or not remove) the cookie called "earthlink.122.2o7"? The cookie called "earthlink" never appears on my scan list. I'm not sure, now that there is a connection, since I did a remove this morning and it wiped out my "earthlink" cookie, but I don't think the "earthlink.122.2o7" was found by the scan. *sigh*

Bill

Tobias,

Do you mean ignore (or not remove) the cookie called "earthlink.122.2o7"? The cookie called "earthlink" never appears on my scan list. I'm not sure, now that there is a connection, since I did a remove this morning and it wiped out my "earthlink" cookie, but I don't think the "earthlink.122.2o7" was found by the scan. *sigh*

Bill

Tobias,

As an experiment, I tried deleting all of the tracking cookies except "earthlink.122.2o7". This didn't help since Earthlink still forgot who I was. It is apparently something that AA 2007 is doing when it removes any cookies. *sigh*

Bill

Tobias,

As an experiment, I tried deleting all of the tracking cookies except "earthlink.122.2o7". This didn't help since Earthlink still forgot who I was. It is apparently something that AA 2007 is doing when it removes any cookies. *sigh*

Bill

Now I am getting mixed results. After the latest definitions file came out, the problem seemed to go away, but today the same thing happened. I removed cookies and Earthlink and my other programs lost my information.

Bill Denholm

Now I am getting mixed results. After the latest definitions file came out, the problem seemed to go away, but today the same thing happened. I removed cookies and Earthlink and my other programs lost my information.

Bill Denholm

Perhaps you could contact Earthlink and ask them which cookie it is you need for your connection and then make sure to add that cookie to the Ignore List?

Regards, Tobias

Perhaps you could contact Earthlink and ask them which cookie it is you need for your connection and then make sure to add that cookie to the Ignore List?

Regards, Tobias

Yes, from the list of cookies deleted and the description provided, it is impossible to find out which cookies should be ignored, but this never happened with the old SE version. Because it is a new issue that began with the new ad-aware version--Lavasoft, not the user, should take responsibility for correcting it.

Yes, from the list of cookies deleted and the description provided, it is impossible to find out which cookies should be ignored, but this never happened with the old SE version. Because it is a new issue that began with the new ad-aware version--Lavasoft, not the user, should take responsibility for correcting it.

Earthlink says their cookie is earthlink.net. But after removing all cookies and then logging on to Earthlink's start page, I immediately do a scan but over 10-20 cookies are found right away and none say 'earthlink' in them. Am I supposed to put all these cookies in the ignore list so I don't have to login to my startpage after every scan I run? Why is lavasoft telling the customer to contact earthlink anyway?? This problem began only after I installed aaw 2007!

Regards, Tobias

Tobias,

That may be possible, but I don't know how to do it. As I told you, I never see a cookie called Earthlink.net in the list of cookies that 2007 says it is going to delete, so how can I add it to my ignore list? I think Lee88 is right and it is a bug that Lavasoft should be trying to fix.

Bill

Tobias,

That may be possible, but I don't know how to do it. As I told you, I never see a cookie called Earthlink.net in the list of cookies that 2007 says it is going to delete, so how can I add it to my ignore list? I think Lee88 is right and it is a bug that Lavasoft should be trying to fix.

Bill

So you know too Bill, even if you put ALL the cookies that are found after a scan on the ignore list, soon after that, the Earthlink page STILL forgets who you are again and you have to re-login with your personal info. So putting cookies on ignore list doesn't even solve this. And again, lavasoft, this only became an issue with aaw '07, not before, so it's a "bug" that needs fixing by Lavasoft.

If other Earthlink users have this issue, please post it so that maybe they'll do something.

So you know too Bill, even if you put ALL the cookies that are found after a scan on the ignore list, soon after that, the Earthlink page STILL forgets who you are again and you have to re-login with your personal info. So putting cookies on ignore list doesn't even solve this. And again, lavasoft, this only became an issue with aaw '07, not before, so it's a "bug" that needs fixing by Lavasoft.

If other Earthlink users have this issue, please post it so that maybe they'll do something.

Thanks for the info, Lee. I couldn't figure out a way to do it, so I didn't even try. I am not surprised that it didn't work.

Tobias,

Do you know when Lavasoft is likely to issue and update for the program?

Also, When I first started using the new program, I got a window each time telling me that my definition files were current. Then, I stopped getting the window. I don't know why. I don't think it was anything that I did.

Bill

Thanks for the info, Lee. I couldn't figure out a way to do it, so I didn't even try. I am not surprised that it didn't work.

Tobias,

Do you know when Lavasoft is likely to issue and update for the program?

Also, When I first started using the new program, I got a window each time telling me that my definition files were current. Then, I stopped getting the window. I don't know why. I don't think it was anything that I did.

Bill, for what it's worth, my Earthlink page is now remembering me and I did nothing. I don't think lavasoft did anything to correct it or maybe they did, but there haven't been any service updates lately so I don't know... I can only knock on wood; maybe yours will correct itself too. They already know about the no pop up window for definition files and are working on it. My only issue now, unless the earthlink one returns, is the summary scan doesn't accurately show removal of most cookies found. I just ran a scan and out of 50 found, it says it removed 4.

Bill, did you touch anything under the TrackSweeper that's under Tools and Plug-ins? Make sure everything is unchecked in that section and your cookies will not be deleted by Ad-Aware

Bill, did you touch anything under the TrackSweeper that's under Tools and Plug-ins? Make sure everything is unchecked in that section and your cookies will not be deleted by Ad-Aware

Korab,

I didn't even know there was such a feature as TrackSweeper. But to answer your question, I didn't change anything in that screen. Everything there is off (a white X in a red circle).

Bill

Tracksweeper isn't the problem and seems like I spoke to soon, saying mine was fixed. After a scan, it varies; sometimes the Earthlink site loses my info and other times it doesn't. Maybe certain cookies are being found on one scan while they're not during another. Makes no sense, but there are still so many bugs in this thing, what does. It's out of our control.

We are contating Earthlink to try and work out what is going wrong here.

Our ivestigation suggests that Earthlink uses cookies from 2o7.net (and this is supported by earlier posts in this thread). I would sugegst that you try and put all cookies from 2o7.net in the Ignore List to see if that helps.

Regards, Tobias

We are contating Earthlink to try and work out what is going wrong here.

Our ivestigation suggests that Earthlink uses cookies from 2o7.net (and this is supported by earlier posts in this thread). I would sugegst that you try and put all cookies from 2o7.net in the Ignore List to see if that helps.

Regards, Tobias

Tobias,

I see (or have seen) both cookies, with and without the 2o7. My impression, which may be wrong, is that 2o7 tries to get a free ride on a number of cookies, not just Earthlink's. I don't have this problem when I let SE delete cookies called "earthlink.122.2o7.net", which happens practically every day.

Bill

Tobias,

I see (or have seen) both cookies, with and without the 2o7. My impression, which may be wrong, is that 2o7 tries to get a free ride on a number of cookies, not just Earthlink's. I don't have this problem when I let SE delete cookies called "earthlink.122.2o7.net", which happens practically every day.

Bill

Tobias,

Now I seem to be having another problem. If I let 2007 delete all of my tracking cookies, even though Earthlink remembers me, I seem to be losing my Yahoo setting. That is not good, either. *sigh*

Bill

Tobias,

Now I seem to be having another problem. If I let 2007 delete all of my tracking cookies, even though Earthlink remembers me, I seem to be losing my Yahoo setting. That is not good, either. *sigh*

Bill

Yes, Bill, other sites are affected besides Earthlink (Webshots, Morningstar and others I use) and the problem is not consistent. With Earthlink, good luck with it continuing to "remember" you. Mine went a long time keeping its settings and then it stopped again, it goes back and forth regardless of which cookies are put on ignore list. Seems like this issue is not experienced by many here so they aren't really doing anything about it and they probably don't know how to fix this anyway. I have to re-login on several sites after deleting cookies. Oh well...

Sign in to follow this