Sign in to follow this  
bill5x5user

2007 Messing With Earthlink?

If you need some help Lavasoft, googling 2o7.net will find you plenty of info, and plenty of other occasions where Ad-Aware (as far back as 2004) has been detecting this well-known tracking cookie domain. If you read on the Omniture website, you will see that they provide cookie services for their clients. This explains the detection of earthlink.122.2o7.net. These cookies are supposed to provide Omniture clients (such as Earthlink), information about how their users use their websites and services. Whether or not they choose to share this information is totally up to the client NOT Omniture. see Omniture privacy policy here http://www.omniture.com/privacy/product (there is also a nice little "2o7.net explained" link there on the menu)

for a nice specific case write-up, see here http://www.p3pwriter.com/LRN_191.asp and pay particular attention to the last line, mentioning Lavasoft.

The question here is ARE these cookies actually a risk to a user's privacy? If they are only provided by a company that does web analytics, but the information is kept STRICTLY with the client for whom this service is provided, then this is hardly an invasion of privacy... especially when the data collected is completely anonymous. If this is the case, and anti-spyware companies still plan to flag these cookies, then maybe they should be flagging things like Google Analytics which do pretty much the same...

Anyway... Lavasoft are of course the experts here, so they will already know about everything I have written in this post, including how to address the problem...

If you need some help Lavasoft, googling 2o7.net will find you plenty of info, and plenty of other occasions where Ad-Aware (as far back as 2004) has been detecting this well-known tracking cookie domain. If you read on the Omniture website, you will see that they provide cookie services for their clients. This explains the detection of earthlink.122.2o7.net. These cookies are supposed to provide Omniture clients (such as Earthlink), information about how their users use their websites and services. Whether or not they choose to share this information is totally up to the client NOT Omniture. see Omniture privacy policy here http://www.omniture.com/privacy/product (there is also a nice little "2o7.net explained" link there on the menu)

for a nice specific case write-up, see here http://www.p3pwriter.com/LRN_191.asp and pay particular attention to the last line, mentioning Lavasoft.

The question here is ARE these cookies actually a risk to a user's privacy? If they are only provided by a company that does web analytics, but the information is kept STRICTLY with the client for whom this service is provided, then this is hardly an invasion of privacy... especially when the data collected is completely anonymous. If this is the case, and anti-spyware companies still plan to flag these cookies, then maybe they should be flagging things like Google Analytics which do pretty much the same...

Anyway... Lavasoft are of course the experts here, so they will already know about everything I have written in this post, including how to address the problem...

No offense, but what does any of what you say have to do with websites, not just Earthlink but many others, losing personal login information--AFTER I have put ALL cookies detected, including the ones you mention, on the ignore list?

OTHER PEOPLE ARE EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM................

Hi: I have downloaded & installed Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007, I find that as compared to the older version it is harder to use.

First of all a minor annoyance but bothersome non the less, is the fact that the tabs are not easy to read once the scan in comple.

More importantely and why I am writing, is the fact that I have certain user ID's at my financial sites that Ad-Aware 2007 is removing! In the old version I would NOT remove MRU and these ID's would not be touched. I have beeen doing the same with the 2007 version but it still removes these items.

I am only removing tracking cookies. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

No offense, but what does any of what you say have to do with websites, not just Earthlink but many others, losing personal login information--AFTER I have put ALL cookies detected, including the ones you mention, on the ignore list?

I am having the same problem with the loss of personal Login IDs on some of my banking sites as well as other sites. There is no specific pattern. Sometimes it wipes out all my User ID cookies and other times it doesn't. It doesn't seem to matter if they have been marked "ignore" or not.

On a scan it continues to find a lot of the same cookies almost every time - then deletes only a few - with an error!! stating that the rest will be deleted when I restart my computer. I am going goofy with this thing.

At least when I read all the posts, I know I am not alone. Misery loves company I suppose. :rolleyes:

lee88. I apologize. My response was directed towards Lavasoft regarding the reason for detecting the cookie in the first place. However, I have no recommendations on how to get your ignore list working. This sounds like a bug to me.

//Steve

Steve,

SE shows me 2o7 cookies for Earthlink and other customers. I delete them and nothing bad happens. I only have the problem when 2007 deletes my "real" Earthlink (or Yahoo) cookie.

Bill

Steve,

SE shows me 2o7 cookies for Earthlink and other customers. I delete them and nothing bad happens. I only have the problem when 2007 deletes my "real" Earthlink (or Yahoo) cookie.

Bill

It could be that Earthlink are using the Omniture tracking cookie, to also hold your username for login etc.. they shouldn't really do that, because there is of course a chance that the tracking cookie is gonna get removed... also if they are doing that, then they are tracking you (as a named user (not anonymous) ) across their systems. In this case, it should be investigated and determined if their privacy policy actually mentions that they will do this....

I don't have the time to look into this at the moment I am afraid, and neither do I care enough..... but I guess Lavasoft are on the case....

I am having the same problem with the loss of personal Login IDs on some of my banking sites as well as other sites. There is no specific pattern. Sometimes it wipes out all my User ID cookies and other times it doesn't. It doesn't seem to matter if they have been marked "ignore" or not.

On a scan it continues to find a lot of the same cookies almost every time - then deletes only a few - with an error!! stating that the rest will be deleted when I restart my computer. I am going goofy with this thing.

At least when I read all the posts, I know I am not alone. Misery loves company I suppose. :)

5thgreen,

I have tried it both ways, that is I have run 2007 first, and let it delete all the cookies if finds (usually 30 - 50). It is when I do this that I am most likely to have problems with Earthlink and/or Yahoo. If I run SE first, however, and let it delete the cookies it finds, and then run 2007, 2007 will still find cookies (that were not deleted by SE) but even if I delete/remove some or all of them, I rarely have any problesm with Earthlink or Yahoo.

Bill Denholm

5thgreen,

I have tried it both ways, that is I have run 2007 first, and let it delete all the cookies if finds (usually 30 - 50). It is when I do this that I am most likely to have problems with Earthlink and/or Yahoo. If I run SE first, however, and let it delete the cookies it finds, and then run 2007, 2007 will still find cookies (that were not deleted by SE) but even if I delete/remove some or all of them, I rarely have any problesm with Earthlink or Yahoo.

Bill Denholm

Bill22sup

I assume you are referring to Ad-Aware SE. I uninstalled SE before I downloaded 2007 - big mistake. I didn't know you could have both on your computer at the same time. Are there any issues with having both? I would like to try running SE first as you suggested.

Do you have a link to SE? I would like to reinstall it and keep both on my machine...at least until they have all the bugs out of 2007.

Thanks

Bill22sup

I assume you are referring to Ad-Aware SE. I uninstalled SE before I downloaded 2007 - big mistake. I didn't know you could have both on your computer at the same time. Are there any issues with having both? I would like to try running SE first as you suggested.

Do you have a link to SE? I would like to reinstall it and keep both on my machine...at least until they have all the bugs out of 2007.

Thanks

Hi, I am having a similar problem with my Verizon logins. However, I do not see any cookies that say Verizon on them. At least not any that Ad Aware 2007 is listing. The new way these cookies are listed is probably the problem. It is almost impossible to determine which cookie belongs to what or to what part of the site. Since I have been using 2007, I have had to log into my Verizon Home Page every day and then again into WebMail to check on the spam detector. Cookies that are marked to remember me are getting deleted also. As you both have said, it has been haphazard, sometimes it knows me and other times it doesn't.

Bill22sup

Thanks

5thgreen,

I don't know how to reinstall SE, no. Lavasoft might know. When I installed 2007, it offered to delete SE for me, and I told it not to. I have had no probelms running both and don't plan to give up SE until more of the bugs have been worked out of 2007.

Bill Denholm

Sign in to follow this