Sign in to follow this  
dracman

Put Se Functionality Back Into 2007 Please

Hello,

I've just upgraded one of my P.C.'s to 2007. I need that adwatch SE pop up to inform me that your ad-aware is functioning proper.

All I see is a flashing red shield with a bug on it. I need more re assurance than that !

If I have something in the configuration checked or not checked, I need to know how to get the pop up detection window like in SE.

Nice feature to be able to edit my hosts file, maybe. What I need to see is that my sites.txt file is getting utilized. I add to this file

manually. SO far I suspect 2007 is not even looking at this file. Have you eliminated the sites.txt feature ?

The flashing shield has got to go. Just make it go red flash like the lollypop on the grey brick does in SE, as it kills pop up windows from web sites. Please

Which so far 2007 does not kill pop up windows.

Thanks in advance for your help,

** no fate **

dracman

http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm

A good point about the SITES.TXT file

I was wondering about this also.

There was quite a long list of blocked sites in AW6SE, but there seems no equivalent site blocker in AW2007. If it is built-in to AW2007, how do we edit it ?

I looked at the HOSTS file editor but it shows only three IP sites :

my own PC, and rhino.acme.com and x.acme.com.

I have assumed these last two are usual and harmless as these site addresses seem to appear in every example of host file editors I have seen - they seem to be expected. But I am not complete techie so I might be wrong about these.

But the host file editor DOES NOT show any other sites as being blocked by setting IP to return to the home PC, or by any other method.

On the wider point of LSoft copying the entire AW6SE protection database (tracking cookies, allowed registry changes, blocked sites lists) to form the base for any AW2007 database.

I have doubts that all of the AW6SE data was imported to the AW2007 - reason I say this is the large number of seemingly harmless registry changes on Windows boot that AW2007 clocks up - AW6SE never used to show all of these up.

This then leaves me wondering about all of the other stuff that was in AW6SE - if we don't get the pop-ups or alerts that we were used to (and the Event Log doesn't show any) is AW2007 working or not ?

I guess that LSoft will say it is all in there and how it was done and how it works is their intellectual property and a commercial secret.

Thats fine if everything works as well or better than it used to in AW6SE, but there are so many people reporting so many "problems" (some of which may just be user worries and not real problems, other problems are definitely real).

I feel LSoft need to start a bit of Charm Operation to regain and maintain customer confidence.

We all know that new software will have some bugs, and that bugs take time to fix, but the number and variety of reports on this forum is getting worrisome - I, for one, feel very insecure about the entire product.

LSoft & AW6SE had a VERY good reputation and I feel that reputation is in danger now.

AW2007 might be the very bestest product on the market in six months, but how many customers will have left by then ? Perhaps, never to come back ?

I know that LSoft must feel a bit under siege at the moment, but a bit of communication would help a lot - even if it means they have to humble themselves a bit. Worried people appreciate knowing that there is some kind of a plan, it's a lot better than silence !

As for the Hosts File Editor: by default it only reads the Hosts file, but you have the ability to import other, more extensive Hosts files in order to block malicious sites. We will make the sites.txt file available in an importable format.

The silence is not a business strategy but the result of a slightly under-staffed communications department this week. We really do try and answer as much as we can, but our first priority is to make sure to read through ALL posts and report the bugs we read about. This limits the amount of time we can spend writing extensive answers, frustrating as that may be both to you and us.

I ask for your patience - we really are working hard to make things better.

Regards, Tobias

As for the Hosts File Editor: by default it only reads the Hosts file, but you have the ability to import other, more extensive Hosts files in order to block malicious sites. We will make the sites.txt file available in an importable format.

The silence is not a business strategy but the result of a slightly under-staffed communications department this week. We really do try and answer as much as we can, but our first priority is to make sure to read through ALL posts and report the bugs we read about. This limits the amount of time we can spend writing extensive answers, frustrating as that may be both to you and us.

Regards, Tobias

over-all, i think your staff is doing a pretty decent job. :D

Reply to LS Tobias and PhilBee

This post is going to go way, way, way off topic but it is a reply to posts on this thread so it is in this thread.

Yes, I am sure that the programmers & support staff are all working very hard on fixing the problems.

I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

And I don't really believe that the beta volunteers didn't do their best with what they were given.

Perhaps I should condense for you my opinions as expressed in part or all on my other posts in this forum.

I think that the sheer number and variety of complaints on this forum is an indication that the situation isn't being managed at all well; and I think the current situation is actually creating more load for the support staff as they try to keep track of all of the posts coming in.

I did say in my post that the staff must feel under siege, and LS Tobias seems to agree that the time being taken trying to keep up with the volume of posting, and note any new issues or new information on known issues, inevitably means that there is little time left to do a decent reply reply to every post.

Also, often there are several threads repeating the same issue or adding rants/complaints about the same issue.

I have to say that these days, it does seem to me very unusual, and unfortunate, to have a major release of software with such a variety of bug reports, some of them being basic interface errors like no save button for settings.

So, I stand by my opinion expressed in another thread on here that the product wasn't quite ready and perhaps should have been delayed. But release dates are release dates and there you go.

I guess many of us have seen this before or been there ourselves.

But once the software goes out, and you have generated 9 or 10 pages of topic titles in only four or five days, this seems to me to be a lot , and alarm bells should be ringing very loud.

Again I stand by my opinions in other threads that there should have been a proper bug report forum so that people can know that a problem is already logged. This would stop a lot of repeat posts and rants, and the support staff don't have to read every post to find many of them are things they are already looking at. Also each known bug could have a sticky topic with a brief note from LSoft on status - they could even use this to target requests for more info on problems that are proving difficult to replicate or get a handle on.

I have also said in my posts on here, that by and large I liked AW6SE - apart from 1 issue, which was a biggy for me. I have indeed recommended AW6 to friends and colleagues. The only reason I am here on this forum having these discussions is that I liked AW6 so much I immediately bought into AW2007.

Having a high opinion of the previous product, I am concerned that the current hoo-haa over the new one is damaging LSofts reputation - I certainly wouldn't recommend AW2007 to any of my friends just yet, and comments are already appearing on other boards about the "buggy" product. I certainly don't want to see that snowball and see a product which might be very good "real soon now" fail because it has gained a bad rep.

I think this is something LSoft as a company need to address this danger to their reputation very quickly, firstly by acknowledging the technical issues being expressed all over this board, and then by giving their customers some feedback. These are management issues, not technical ones.

A little smoothing can go a long way.

Now, you and I might disagree as to whether I have a right to tell LSoft how to run their business.

But as far as I am concerned I was a paying customer for the old product (and recommended others to purchase) and I paid for this one. And it should be clear by now that I want the product to succeed - otherwise I wouldn't be using my time writing on this board, I would just go elsewhere.

So, in my book, that makes me some kind of stakeholder in all of this. We might just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Regards

Phil424

Again I stand by my opinions in other threads that there should have been a proper bug report forum so that people can know that a problem is already logged. This would stop a lot of repeat posts and rants, and the support staff don't have to read every post to find many of them are things they are already looking at. Also each known bug could have a sticky topic with a brief note from LSoft on status - they could even use this to target requests for more info on problems that are proving difficult to replicate or get a handle on.

The irony is that Invision Board has recently made its bug tracker software available recently free to registered users of IB.Board like this one. It sure would make things easier to report and track. It is easy to install.

<<snip>>

Regards, Tobias

:D I have uninstalled 2007. I am patient, and will use the ad-aware SE. I NEED all the features you made SE so famous with !

I live with the registry protection and adwatch pop up detections - prompting me yah or nay for each attempted reg change.

I need to have a "sites.txt" I can add bad boy urls to and know adaware just plane flat out blocks them ! Fooling with the hosts file and importing to a critical file like hosts could prove fatal if the basic IP's are screwed up on a wild import. Okay, I live in the hosts file to ! LOL

LOL I was going through withdrawals watching 2007 NOT do what SE accomplishes. Sorry. I wait with patience using SE.

How about Like windows having a "adaware classic" desktop (buttonology) configuration for us nervous on the network types ?

I keep 2007 on hold, you keep my money and wish us both luck.

** no Fate **

dracman

http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm

Hi, alot of these early "bugs" have been fixed in updates to the program now.

See here for a list of bug fixes:

Software Updates

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=9870

Please update your software using the webupdate to the latest version (currently 7.0.1.6 at this date) and most of these should be resolved.

Also, we have many of the most common problems addressed with solutions in this FAQ page :)

http://www.lavasoft.com/support/faq_aaw2007.php

Since this topic is now out of date information and no activity in quite a while, I'm moving this to the "resolved/inactive" section (read only). If your particular problem is not resolved or if you should have any further issues, please feel free to start a new topic.

Sign in to follow this