Sign in to follow this  
Yariene

Unistalling Ad-aware 2007

I was trying to uninstall Free Ad-aware 2007 but I can't the program gave this message:

Error 1720: There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

Could somebody post the script I need? This update is giving me too many problems and I would like to go back to the previous version.

System: Windows XP, home edition

Edited by Yariene

I will second this... I have the same problem. (Running the 2007 version on my XP system has caused it to crash twice, and when it reboots I've lost the system tray. Not the taskbar -- just the system tray. Sigh.)

Anyone with any ideas, I would welcome hearing them.

I was trying to uninstall Free Ad-aware 2007 but I can't the program gave this message:

Error 1720: There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

Could somebody post the script I need? This update is giving me too many problems and I would like to go back to the previous version.

Hi, Yariene / Hi,egriffith !

I.) try this - download an intact AAW2007 installer package - shut off Anti-Spy/Anti-Vir. - start installing -

the uninstall/repair option should be there now - repair - reboot system - then uninstall.

II.) Delete all AAW2007 files manually ( this program will help you > http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ < ).

Don't forget the hidden files.

Cheers

:angry: Raziel

When you say an intact AAW2007, it means a complete program right? (I hope this is what you mean because if is not I don't know what are you talking about) I don't know where to find a complete copy. LavaSoft keeps sending me to download.com and that's where I downloaded the first time.

Sorry for asking but I'm not very good at this computer thing.

Thanks for answering me!

Edited by Yariene

When you say an intact AAW2007, it means a complete program right? (I hope this is what you mean because if is not I don't know what are you talking about) I don't know where to find a complete copy. LavaSoft keeps sending me to download.com and that's where I downloaded the first time.

Sorry for asking but I'm not very good at this computer thing.

Thanks for answering me!

"...download an intact AAW2007 installer package" ... I think what he means is to download an AAW2007.exe file, which

is an installer package (intact or attached) with the actual program. Sometimes you can download the program as

a *.zip file. It gets to your desktop and you unzip it before you install the program. In this instance, you download

the *.exe which is a file that will execute the installation of the program with one click (as opposed to unzipping it first).

...download an intact AAW2007 installer package - shut off Anti-Spy/Anti-Vir. - start installing -

the uninstall/repair option should be there now - repair - reboot system - then uninstall....

Cheers

:unsure: Raziel

To shut down your Anti-Virus program, or Anti-Spyware program (assuming you have one of those programs on your pc), you need to go to "Control Panel" (Start/Control Panel) and then select "Administrative Tools," then Services (Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services).

Then you go down the list and find the service or services, that are running your Virus-protection/Anti-spyware program. This will be like a "Norton," "Symantec," "Grisoft" or "McAfee" service or have initials that indicate it looks similar to such a name. If you do not know the exact name, then look in the folder holding the application, for the abbreviation. Another way to identify a service is to google it. That is the long way, but you will begin to learn about the different services running on your pc. This can help you in the long run. You do not have to learn them all at once, just start browsing and learning as you go, trying to acquire a little knowledge each time you search for a service description.

Another more direct way to find it, is to select the file from the list of files in "Services," then right click it and select "properties." In the middle of the prompt you will see where the executable file or service is located on your pc (and for Anti-virus/ Anti-spyware executable or service, it will be located in the folder holding your Anti-virus or Anti-spyware program). You want to verify it, and make sure that the service-file is in the folder associated with the Anti-virus software.

Eventually you will find the service that runs your anti-virus or anti-spyware software, and when you do and verify... then below that, you will see "startup type." You will have the option to toggle, "automatic/manual or disable." For the instance above, Raziel is recommending you shut off the Anti-virus software; stop or disable it.

Then he is recommending you reinstall the freshly downloaded AAW2007.exe

This will give you the option to repair, and when you do, it will update to the latest version of Lavasoft, Ad Aware, which at this time is 7.0.1.4 (if you download it from cnet or download.com, you will get v7.0.1.3). The updated version 7.0.1.4 apparently has the fix for the issue you describe above. But you have to work around your Anti-virus software.

When you are done with the unistall, then go back into Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and select the Anti-Virus service that you previously shut down or disabled. You will want to turn that back on or enable it to work "automatically."

This may seem a bit tedious and it is to some extent, but it is essential that you concentrate and if you work carefully, you should be able to do this in about 5-10 minutes. This first time it may take longer, but eventually you will get a knack for what you are doing and this may help you feel more confident that you are understanding your pc.

Edited by jrb

Hi, Yariene / Hi,egriffith !

I.) try this - download an intact AAW2007 installer package - shut off Anti-Spy/Anti-Vir. - start installing -

the uninstall/repair option should be there now - repair - reboot system - then uninstall.

II.) Delete all AAW2007 files manually ( this program will help you > http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ < ).

Don't forget the hidden files.

Cheers

:) Raziel

I tried both of these solutions and could not get past that same "1720 error" message during the uninstall.

It still shows up in my control panel / add or remove programs list; 19.18 MB.

I hate that you cant uninstall it.

spent over 4 hours trying.

going to try a system restore to a point prior to the install.

Whew. System Restore worked. Tried all the solutions above, and finally had to resort to system restore to get it uninstalled.

I have installed a lot of programs and never had to 'turn off' my McAfee or Spy Sweeper. Why doesn't Lavasoft make a software that can get along with these other programs?

I have installed a lot of programs and never had to 'turn off' my McAfee or Spy Sweeper. Why doesn't Lavasoft make a software that can get along with these other programs?

I don't understand the explanations given above to get rid of the problem, I tried but I think I missed something due to not knowing what on earth I was doing. A step-by-step, plain English, guide for the computer illiterate among us would be gratefully welcomed.

As for the system restore, for some reason my laptop won't let me - there are no dates available and it won't let me go back a month to look for any others.

Any suggestions/ explanations as to how to get rid of it?

Thanks

K

[edit: not to worry, it finally worked, woo!]

Edited by Kaykee

Sign in to follow this