Sign in to follow this  
Martyoplastic

Aawservice.exe : The Solution !

Place these instructions in bat files, create shortcuts on them and double-clic to execute the instructions.

It assumes that Ad-Aware 2007 Service is set to Manual and not running, and Ad Aware 2007 has been installed in C:\Program Files

to start Ad-Aware 2007 and aawservice.exe in 1 time :

net start aawservice && "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\Ad-Aware2007.exe"

to stop Ad-Aware 2007 and aawservice.exe in 1 time :

taskkill /f /im Ad-Aware2007.exe /t && net stop aawservice && exit

Place these instructions in bat files, create shortcuts on them and double-clic to execute the instructions.

It assumes that Ad-Aware 2007 Service is set to Manual and not running, and Ad Aware 2007 has been installed in C:\Program Files

net start aawservice && "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\Ad-Aware2007.exe"

Before do anything, pleae read this first:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=9893

regards

if aawservice.exe is essential for the use of Ad-Aware 2007, why could it be disabled ?

some Windows service cannot be disabled, so why could we do it with aawservice.exe ?

if aawservice.exe is essential for the use of Ad-Aware 2007, why could it be disabled ?

some Windows service cannot be disabled, so why could we do it with aawservice.exe ?

A wild guess would be that the operating system cannot run properly without those services and that's why Windows prevents you from disabling them. Ad-Aware is a standalone application that you yourself install on your system. We would like to think that most people appreciate that they are able to disable the service if they want to.

Regards, Tobias

New command lines to start and stop Ad-Aware 2007, aaswervice can now be disabled :

to start :

sc config aawservice start= demand && net start aawservice && "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\Ad-Aware2007.exe"

to stop :

taskkill /f /im Ad-Aware2007.exe /t && net stop aawservice && sc config aawservice start= disabled && exit

:unsure: If I only knew what you mean?

How can I run Scans when the connection with the aawservice can't be kepped connected? Why o why, Lavasoft are you doing this ? :mellow:

Edited by J.P.van den Eeden

I want to hear their real explanation, not the PR one that assumes people using their program are standard computer users who just use outlook express and surf the internet on IE.

The "real" explanation is pretty much the way they laid it out. We are no longer dealing with Win9x architecture but have moved on to multiple user accounts with varying permissions. Windows is no longer a GUI that runs on top of DOS but a complete environment with its own kernel. AS products are adapting to that and the GUI/service model is what works and is becoming fairly universal.

The LS explanation is remarkably similar to that put forth by a²: http://forum.emsisoft.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=2181

The "real" explanation is pretty much the way they laid it out. We are no longer dealing with Win9x architecture but have moved on to multiple user accounts with varying permissions. Windows is no longer a GUI that runs on top of DOS but a complete environment with its own kernel. AS products are adapting to that and the GUI/service model is what works and is becoming fairly universal.

The LS explanation is remarkably similar to that put forth by a²: http://forum.emsisoft.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=2181

or read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_as_a_Service

I want to hear their real explanation, not the PR one that assumes people using their program are standard computer users who just use outlook express and surf the internet on IE.

We were only trying to put it in a way that as many people as possible would understand.

If you have any concrete questions about the service we will be happy to answer them.

Regards, Tobias

If I can just add my 2 centimos to the debate here:

There is a very easy workaround to this whole question, whereby aawservice.exe (or any other unwanted SaaS) gets loaded only for the brief period that you need it for an on-demand scan (no need for batch files, or running services.msc) :

1) Download the small and free utility WinPatrol from BillP Studios. (This is a security utility well worth having for other reasons, in any event).

2) Configure WinPatrol to not load at startup, but put a shortcut to it on your quick-launch taskbar.

3) Open Winpatrol>Services tab, double-click on Ad-Aware 2007 Service, and change it from automatic to manual. Close WinPatrol. The aawservice.exe will no longer load automatically at startup, or consume memory.

4) When you want to run an Ad-Aware scan, open the program and run it, as usual.

5) When the scan is finished, open WinPatrol>Services tab, double-click on Ad-Aware 2007 Service, and stop it (aawservice.exe).

Works for me!

This is the same thing that opening the Service Console included in Windows, except that when you open the Windows Service Console, you don't need to install another application (here WinPatrol) to stop the service.

Edited by Martyoplastic

Either way, setting the service to manual works for me, too.

After the update, why does the service show as 7.0.1.4 and the version still show as 7.0.1.3?

After the update, why does the service show as 7.0.1.4 and the version still show as 7.0.1.3?

The service and the GUI are two different programs so can have different version numbers if one is updated and one is not. In this case aawservice.exe was changed to 7.0.1.4 while the GUI was unmodified so still reports 7.0.1.3. If you check the file properties for aawservice.exe it should show the correct version.

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks. Oldfrog!

Anytime, bugbatter.

A really interesting question is: "What effect does changing the startup mode of the service have on scanning in safe mode, if any?"

I have heard that since a² went to the GUI/service model that their service starts even in safe mode and that you can then use the tool with the GUI in safe mode. I see that as a real advantage. The question is whether AAW2007 behaves similarly.

Sign in to follow this